11.08.2013

Stuffed Zucchini


Here's another side I often served to my family on Thanksgiving. I like this one because you can make it in the morning and hold it on the counter until you are ready to bake. No last minute fussing here, although it's quite a simple recipe and doesn't take all that long to make. Once again, I haven't a clue where I found this recipe. 

Usually one sees zucchini stuffed with meat, tomatoes and all sorts of things. This is the only recipe I've seen with shiitake and hazelnuts. If you don't have Panko, make your own bread crumbs...so easy in a processor....and you can use any number of cheeses. Just depends on what you have. It's a nice vegetarian option for your holiday table.

Stuffed Zucchini




Ingredients:
6 zucchini, scrubbed and trimmed
3 garlic cloves,  minced
2 shallots, sliced thinly
1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, cut in smallish pieces, no stems
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and ground
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (sometimes I use fresh thyme, sometimes both)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup panko
1 cup grated gruyere or your favorite cheese....not cheddar, please.

Method:
Halve zucchini and scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2 inch shells. I use a melon baller to take out the pulp. Chop pulp rather finely. Cook garlic, shallots, mushrooms and hazelnuts for 4 minutes. Add zucchini pulp and oregano and/or thyme. Cook 7 minutes. Let cool for 10  minutes and stir in panko, salt and pepper to taste. 
Place filling in shells and top with gruyere. Bake in a 400 oven for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is melted, it's hot throughout and a little brown.

17 comments:

  1. A scrumptious dish! I am a sucker for stuffed vegetables.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and I love the fact than you can make it in advance and cook it at the last minute. That is SO helpful at Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc's daughter is a vegetarian who always hates Thanksgiving because of the horrible things she has to eat when others are drooling over meaty goodness.
    I am sending this to her... she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely side Barbara or even the star of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect seasonal dish!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious stuffed zucchinis, they look so appetising :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum! I adore stuffed zucchinis... they look so incredibly delicious. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love stuffed veggies! The nutty mushroom filling sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stuffed zucchini, look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh this sounds delicious, especially with the panko breadcrumbs! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious - such a nice way to showcase the beauty of zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a unique recipe, Barbara. I love it! The combination sounds oh so good I may just need to try it before the guests come. (more for me, and Marion of course:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my. That's heavenly. Now that I have lab rats - er, will eat anything co-workers - I can experiment more and not worry about what the Knight would NEVER try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks again, Barbara! It's posted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever seen stuffed zucchini served at thanksgiving but what a great idea to mix things up! Love the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i do love a zucchini boat! your stuffing is stupendous. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails