11.26.2013

Gingerbread Biscotti





Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'll be thinking of you all, slaving away in the kitchen while we're eating out at our favorite restaurant. I'm being catered to this year instead of catering for. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

I hope you're not being affected by the big storm crossing the country...we're expecting lots of rain and cooler weather, but South Florida pretty much gets a miss. It's travel that affects us...I'm hoping my daughter gets down from NYC without huge delays.

And then you know what follows Thanksgiving: Black Friday. I'd do anything to avoid it, but when my daughter comes home to visit, it's almost the only time she has to shop. I am NOT looking forward to it. 

So....do you have time for some gingerbread recipes?  I got carried away with a gingerbread theme this year and made three different gingerbread-type recipes, all in one day! LOL.
Here's the first: Gingerbread Biscotti. These biscotti are delicious fun to serve with eggnog, coffee or just plain milk. Easy to make too. Don't you love the smell of gingerbread in the house? Better even than bread!


Gingerbread Biscotti 

Jillianpie via
 Epicurious



Ingredients:
1/4 C butter
3/4 C packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 C molasses
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 C macadamia nuts
White chocolate

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until there are no lumps of sugar. Beat in the eggs, then blend in the molasses. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Fold in the almonds (and candied ginger if using).

Divide the dough in half onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Spray your hands generously with nonstick spray (dough will be sticky) and form each half into a log about three or four inches wide and one inch high. Place them two inches apart. Bake dough for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Cool logs for 10 minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut each log into one-half-inch slices. Place the slices cut-side down on baking sheet and return to oven to toast. Remove after 10 minutes and flip all of the cookies over. Toast an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Optional white chocolate coating: Melt coating or white chocolate chips according to package directions. Dip cookies halfway into coating, or use a spoon to drizzle quickly back and forth. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint before the chocolate has set. Let set completely before storing.




25 comments:

  1. Bring in the gingerbread recipes. They shouldn't be delegated to just the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavour of gingerbread Barbara, it was a great idea to add those flavours to biscotti. Hope you daughter gets to you safely. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with your family!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your daughter gets home without any problems! These biscotti will be perfect for dipping into coffee on T-Day morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Those festive biscotti must taste haevenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gingerbread I love how smell. I love to use especially for Christmas!!
    Love your recipe.
    Happy thanksgiving Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I.bookmarked your recipe!xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have time for gingerbread recipes, Barbara! Looking forward to the other recipes that hopefully you'll post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so festive..have fun with your daughter..hope the crowds aren't dreadful for you:)
    Regardless..you will find reason to laugh it off with her..maybe after the fact:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gingerbread smells heavenly. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you daughter has a safe flight.

    Good luck with the shopping. I was in management in what are now Macy's store and there is no way I would go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Makes my feet hurt just to think about it :) If it were me, I would find a comfortable spot to sit somewhere in the mall while she shops. She can drop off her packages to you and go back for more. You'll be comfortable and she won't feel rushed.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm eating out at a restaurant this year, too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Biscotti sounds so good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love that aroma! I'm embarrassed to tell you how many packages of Immaculate Bakery ginger cookies I've baked since I discovered them last year. I think I'd love the biscotti. If you're sure it's easy, I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luckily, I grew up close enough to Colonial Williamsburg that a nice, soft ginger cookie is always appropriate. I love the flavor and look forward to trying at least one of the ones you'll share.

    Good luck Friday. You know where I'll be... and if Sissy has her way, we'll make up for the 2 miles the rain took from her today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving dear Barbara to you and your family and even more special to be dinning out.
    Hope the shopping trip goes well.
    I love ginger bread and thanks for sharing the recipe.

    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a bit of snow here in PA, Barbara. I do hope your daughter makes it down there quickly and safely.

    I just love the aroma of gingerbread. Your Biscotti looks delectable:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Barbara...Enjoy every single moment of being catered to, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Barbara! It is so nice to be catered from time to time! The biscotti look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you and your family and amazing Thanksgiving. I think its lovely that you decided to eat out and take the stress out of what could be a very exhausting holiday to prepare for.
    Have a wonderful time with your daughter.
    *kisses* H

    ReplyDelete
  18. This year I still haven't tried anything with gingerbread..this delicious biscotti recipe comes just in time. Have a wonderful holiday!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Thanksgiving Barbara. Wishing safe travels for your daughter. I will be home with a good book on Black Friday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love making biscotti, and love ginger, so I'll have to try this recipe in the month ahead. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Barbara. Hope your daughter has no delays. It's been a dark and stormy night here in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect seasonal biscotti! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Thanksgiving, Barbara. I would rather have teeth pulled than go out on Black Friday. I am happy I am long past needing fancy electronics or desperate for presents. One of the good parts about getting older.

    Love the biscotti. They are one of my favorite treats and these look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. pumpkin bread and gingerbread cookies are the 2 things I am known for, for just making them "just" to leave that fragrant smell in the house.
    no lie. Can't tell you how many pumpkin breads I've made and just gave away because I wanted that smell in the house. lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. macadamia nuts! fantastic! i don't usually like biscotti, but dang!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails