11.29.2013

Jamie Oliver's Mincemeat Palmiers


Do you need to come up with something truly elegant in a hurry? These palmiers fit the bill perfectly. Make them ahead of time and stick the roll in the freezer; slice and bake when you need them. These won't take 10 minutes to make as practically everything comes in a jar or from the freezer. Jamie adds some fresh orange rind, nuts and a dash of brandy to the bottled mincemeat to brighten it up. I love the idea and they are full of all the yummy flavors of Christmas. With a glass of wine or sherry, you've got the perfect little treat. 

Jamie Oliver's Mincemeat Palmiers
Adapted from Jamie Oliver


Ingredients:
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 piece stem ginger (from a jar), finely chopped ( I omitted)
1 1/2 cups mincemeat (I used Crosse & Blackwell)
1 splash brandy
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 bottle Pedro Ximénez or other sweet sherry, to serve 

Method:
In a bowl, mix the orange zest, chopped pecans and stem ginger into the mincemeat, then add a splash of brandy. Set aside. 
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. 
Lay the pastry on a clean work surface, very lightly floured, with a short edge facing you. Spread thinly and evenly with the mincemeat mixture, leaving a 1 inch border around the pastry. Brush the pastry border with a little beaten egg. Then, working from the short ends, fold each end halfway to the center. Then fold each side again toward the center until the folded edges almost touch. Fold one side over the other and press lightly. Wrap in wax paper or cling film and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. (Or freeze)

Unwrap the pastry and cut off and discard the ends to make it neat. Slice into 24 rounds, then lightly flatten each one. Transfer to 2 non-stick baking sheets, spaced apart. Bake in the oven for 15–18 minutes, until cooked through, puffed and golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool. 

17 comments:

  1. That is a very clever take on the mince pie! I bet they get beautiful caramelly sticky bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea! Those palmiers look very tempting. Mincemeat is so delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pedro Jimenez is my favorite sherry... I can't imagine anything better with those palmiers. I like making my own mincemeat now that I found great suet that has a sweet taste and makes for a rich darkly flavored mincemeat. Great for puff pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Palmier. This is a great twist on a classic. This is my first visit to yoru site, and I am SO pleased to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. terrific recipe, Barbara--for its flavors and ease of preparation, it is perfect for the season. I'd love one with a nip of sherry!
    Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE savory palmiers!
    It's been about 15 years since I've had mincemeat!
    I just thought of that....wild.
    Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Palmiers are so pretty but I've never attempted them. And I love that you've served them with sherry. How elegant.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! The Knight won't try mincemeat though. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious, and it's so easy! Definitely worth the 10 minutes they take to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this idea Barbara. Hope I can find that mincemeat. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mincemeat palmiers look very tempting! I can't wait to bake a batch too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like the idea of a dessert that's both elegant and can be made ahead of time. fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yummy. I have always felt we are in the minority when it comes to a love of mincemeat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how quick these can be made for a dinner! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm,...these mincemeat filled palmiers look irresistable & appetizing too.

    Yum Yum Yummm 😀

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails