11.20.2013

Brussel Sprouts with Parmesan and Proscuitto


If a serving bowl of brussel sprouts (made any way at all) was placed in front of my kids, they wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole. But then I came across this recipe, tried it one Thanksgiving and they couldn't believe they were eating brussel sprouts and loving it. After many years, they still ask for it when they're here for a holiday. 
This recipe is also from pre-blogging days so is yet another MasterCook entry without a recipe source. It's also a re-post, back from the beginning when practically nobody was paying attention, which they should have been since we posted some of our best recipes in the beginning, right?
It's an awesome recipe. Yep, another eye roller. Mega delicious. But oh so calorie-laden. All that whipping cream! Never mind,  if ever we're going to splurge, it's this time of year. Wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

Brussel Sprouts with Parmesan and Proscuitto




Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
4 ounces prosciutto, cut in thin slivers
2 pounds brussel sprouts, trimmed and sliced/shredded
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup light cream
1/4 cup sweet Marsala
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups Parmesan, grated

Method:

Preheat oven to 350. 
Melt butter and add garlic and prosciutto. Cook 4 minutes. Add sprouts and cook 4 minutes. Stir in flour, then the creams and Marsala. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the Parmesan and stir until melted. Pour into a casserole and top with remaining Parmesan. Bake 20 minutes.




17 comments:

  1. Barbara this look comforting and yummy:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy cream, light cream, butter? I'm in! It is the holiday season and this looks and sounds delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been one for brussel sprouts... not a bit, but you make i could be tempted by all that fatty cream and a whole stick of butter LOL!
    *kisses* H

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gratin is fantastic! The kind of dish I love to eat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am turning a blind eye to all that butterfat---t'is the season!

    all that cream aside, I can see why this has been a consistent hit over the years, especially since we all got savvy in the kitchen with Gruyere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara,

    I know what you are saying - as a kid I never liked them.
    Now I actually do like them and we often have them around Christmas time.
    This recipe will make them taste great and know they are so good for you.
    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to use Marsala in dishes and always have a bottle in the bar. Even my Brussel sprout hating husband might like these.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love brussel sprouts. If this dish is hope that my children will eat brussel sprouts then this is on my menu too. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it about Brussels sprouts when as a kid you despise them, but suddenly as an adult you fall in love? I can't get enough of Brussels Sprouts (particularly roasted) and in the case of this recipe, of course, the cream doesn't hurt a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo this sounds yummy! I might even be able to get the.boy to eat brussels sprouts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on my 4th stalk of brussel sprouts this season. I am mad for them. I have them a zillion different ways and even pop the leftovers during the day straight from the fridge for a little pick-me-up. Delicious when they are creamy and especially great with ham. Another great recipe, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With all of those goodies gilding the (stinky) lily, I may become a brussels sprouts fan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what a delicious way to dress up brussel sprouts. I also posted some of my favorite recipes when I started blogging and I'm sure most readers have never seen them. I'm going to bring them back again with some better photos. I bet this recipe is mega delicious. Sure looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love brussels sprouts as is but would like it even more here! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A huge fan of Brussels sprout! The gratin looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Parmesan would flavour this wonderfully, I love the delicious the brussels look covered in it!

    Cheers
    CCU

    P.S Unfortunately, I have lost around 1000 subscribers on my blog, and I have no idea how, so if you were subscribed, would you be able to resubscribe? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh. I want to go make that RIGHT NOW. Yum. Maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails