7.28.2013

Summer Tomato Tart


I used the last few sheets of my leftover phyllo for this lovely supper. Jamie Oliver's exact name for this is Late Summer Tart. Well, it's not exactly late summer, but I made it just the same. The heirloom tomatoes give the top of the tart color and be sure to use a nicely sharp cheddar or this dish will be bland. Jamie makes a lot of tart/quiche type dishes.....I posted an asparagus and potato tart not long ago too.

But with this one, take my advice and add some sauteed sliced shallots; such a nice light flavor and it seems to work with this tart well. Phyllo is so much more forgiving than pie crust and I love the way it gives tarts a light rustic look. 


Jamie Oliver's Late Summer Tart




Ingredients:

3/4 pound ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced
sea salt 
freshly ground black pepper 
2 large eggs 
scant 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
generous 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 cup butter, melted
phyllo pastry 
small bunch fresh marjoram or oregano (I used oregano)
olive oil 

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the sliced tomatoes in a colander and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Adding salt to them will bring out their flavour and also reduce the amount of moisture that seeps into the tart. 

 Beat the eggs in a bowl, then add the cream, grated cheese and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and set aside. 

 Take a large tart pan with a removable bottom (either a 10” round tin, or roughly 8” x 11” rectangular tin) and brush it with a little of the melted butter. Cover the tray with a layer of phyllo, overlapping the sheets so there are no gaps. Brush this base layer with more of the butter and repeat 4 or 5 times until you have a sturdy base for the filling. 

 Pour the cream mixture onto the phyllo base and make sure it's evenly spread over it. Lay your tomatoes on top, then season it again. 

Pick the leaves from the herb sprigs and toss them in a little olive oil to lightly coat them. Sprinkle these over the tart, then place it on the bottom shelf of the hot oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Leave to cool for a few minutes then serve with a simple, fresh salad. 





30 comments:

  1. Oh my! This looks delicious. We are just on the cusp of really good local tomatoes. Our chilly spring and early summer has been a problem. Thanks to you and Jamie Oliver, I have this treat to look forward to.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I go to the UK I want to visit Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurants... they are a sort of small chain. The food looks good and if this tart is a reflection of the quality of recipes... I really need to do this next time.

    Delicious recipe. Tomatoes are so good this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tart. Heirloom tomatoes are plentiful right now and it's a great time to make a tart. Thanks for the tip on the cheddar and shallot. Have a lovely weekend Barbara.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh summer tomatoes in filo pastry...a really gorgeous tart, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful Barbara. We're starting to get a few tomatoes. Saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tarts of this genre and I am still a big fan of JO:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Deana..my friends went to one of his restos in London and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. You post the most tempting recipes! That looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a beautiful tomato tart. I adore Jamie's recipes and must give this a go. Enjoy your Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrumptious and very tasty!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paired with a light salad and a crisp wine-this would be perfect for summer meal.

    I was thinking about the very last few summer tomatoes that I have left what I will do with them. I think a tart would be really nice.

    Velva

    P.S. I am really glad that you are enjoying the bee posts on my fb. It has been quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our tomatoes are coming in so I am ready to go with this tart. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good, sharp cheddar sounds great with the tomatoes. And, the delicate, crispy phyllo crust looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. barbara I love this tart look amazing! and Im a really fan of Jamie Oliver I love his recipes!:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely way to enjoy your tomatoes. Late summer or not, it looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds wonderful Barbara, It won't be long before we have an overabundance of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still don't have quite enough tomatoes to make a tart, but I made a delicious zucchini tart tonight - but I'm in anticipation for that first tomato tart - hope it's as nice as yours, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so enjoying all the varieties of heirloom tomatoes at the market these days---which should last through late summer, and hopefully into early fall!

    your tart showcases them beautifully, and I agree about punching up the flavors with a good sharp cheddar and scatter of diced shallot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always feel intimidated by phyllo, but if you say it's not bad, I believe you. This looks like the perfect summer lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This and a salad make a perfect dinner for me! Jamie's tart sounds wonderful and when my tomatoes finally get ripe it will be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Se ve exquisito mi querida barbara me encanta su tarta,saludos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this looks sooo good. I must try it.I will try it...LOL...It looks gorgeous too.
    Thank you Barbara!!!
    May God Bless,
    Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that this uses phyllo and not puff pastry! Such a light delicious summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like the perfect thing to have with a glass of white wine at the end of a long, hot day...

    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm usually intimidated by phyllo too but perhaps I should give it one more try because I really stink at pie crust and I think phyllo probably lends a better catch all to the delicious tomato-ey goodness:)

    The season for tomatoes is late around here. I am waiting ever so patiently for some road side stands to share the bounty. In the mean time, Barbara, I have vowed to grow at least one tomato variety next year!

    Thank you so much for sharing this lovely tart. I must check out Jamie Oliver's recipes. They seem to be quite popular and they sure do look good too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. as savory tarts go, this is one of the most appealing i've seen. thank god for phyllo dough and jamie oliver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Barbara,

    You have to love Jamie - we have been enjoying his 15 minute meals - quick and healthy.
    The tart looks wonderful and is making me feel hungry.
    Hope all is well with you and that you are having a great week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  29. This tomato tart looks delicious, the phyllo tart looks perfect with the creamy filling.
    Thanks for this recipe and hope you are having a lovely week Barbara :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails