7.14.2013

Chilled Fennel and Cucumber Soup


I've always loved cold soups in warm weather and have posted several in the past. The thing about this one is the fennel. Are you a fan? As far as I'm concerned, roasted, I love it. Raw, served in a salad, not so much. But this fennel is steamed and puréed along with some raw cucumbers so how cool is that? It's a lovely soup, with some texture (can't help but remind you of a vichyssoise) and quite mild in flavor. The tarragon is a nice touch; it's an herb we don't use nearly enough.


Chilled Fennel and Cucumber Soup

From Fine Cooking Magazine, June/July Issue





Ingredients:
3 pounds fennel bulbs (about 2 large or 3 medium)
1 1/4 pounds seedless cucumbers
1 Tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream

Method:
Trim, quarter and core the fennel bulbs and cut into 1 inch pieces...about 6 cups. Save some of the frond for garnishing.
Steam the fennel until very tender, about 8 minutes.
Peel the cucumbers, quarter lengthwise and cut into 1 inch chunks.
In a blender, puree until smooth half the cooked fennel with half the cucumber along with salt, pepper and tarragon. Strain over a bowl, forcing the puree with a spatula. Repeat with the remaining fennel and cucumber.
Add the cream and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days. Just before serving, correct the seasoning, add one teaspoon finely chopped tarragon, and garnish with a fennel frond.

27 comments:

  1. I've never been sure how to use fennel and where to pair it, but this sounds like a great idea - kind of gives it a flavor showcase all it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic combination! So refined tasting and refreshing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love cold soups; I may have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cold soups too and you are right, this reminds me of light vichyssoise.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soups always Barbara, this look delicious!
    Now Im makin warm soups we are Winter but who knows yesterday we ate Ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks just perfect for the hot day we are having here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fennel is my second love in the last few years, only taking second fiddle to kale in the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a fan of fennel. I think it has a beautiful, crisp texture with just a hint of anise-It is lovely and too far under appreciated.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great hope you having a great summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amo las sopas luce muy exquisita y bien hecha mi querida Barbara,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely summer soup! I like the combo of fennel and cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't like shaved fennel salad? That surprises me.
    I am fond of it in the summer with shaved parmesan and sometimes a bit of prosciutto.

    Soup looks divine. I love cucumbers in summer and the combo is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting...i would think with all the water in cucmber it might flush it out a bit but i guess you get flavor from the fennel and taragon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never eaten raw fennel, and never thought of trying. This looks like a lovely soup, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cold soups!
    My goodness I haven't had gazpacho in years!
    What a great idea you've given me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love fennel in all ways and this one sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Barbara,

    Will be so good for summer and we are more into hot soups here at the moment.
    Tonight I am using fennel in a fragrant seafood bowl recipe - with fish, mussels and prawns, for dinner.

    Happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. smiles....buffalodick was my first real blog friend that passed....we used to message each other and just talk about stuff....when he passed it shook me up pretty good....i do miss him...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You just got me to thinking, Barbara. I have Bronze Ornamental Fennel growing in the garden this year and it is thriving way beyond control. I wonder if I dug it up whether there would be a bulb under there. I may just try it. I best check to see if it's edible too:)

    Great soup! Marion would LOVE it. I would be more than willing to give it a try although, cucumbers and I don't seem to agree:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. You read my mind. I've been thinking I need to make some cold soups because it's just way too hot to eat right now...

    ReplyDelete
  21. that looks awfully creamy and satisfying, barbara. great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cold soups tend to become fashion during summer and I can understand why! This one is packed with flavors Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Summery cold soups are so flavoursome :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    P.S Because of my exams, I will not be commenting for around 4 weeks – see you afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm absolutely a fan of this soup - we LOVE fennel! - so pretty and perfect for these temperatures :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dusting off my computer keyboard and trying to catch up here :)

    I love fennel in soups and this chilled soup sounds perfect for the HOT weather we're having. I love Fine Cooking magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do like fennel both roasted and raw--I've never steamed it, nor paired it with cucumber! (especially with tarragon) I love the idea.Unique recipe. Thanks, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails