4.29.2011

A Lovely Potato and Asparagus Tart


Recently, uber-talented blog friend Cristina from Cristina From Buenos Aires to Paris posted an Asparagus and Orange Cream Tart. It looked like it would be light and delicious with an unusual combination of an orange-flavored cream and asparagus....very appealing. I was going to make it this weekend with the lovely asparagus in the market right now. And then I got sidetracked with another tart I watched Jamie Oliver make the other day. It had me salivating. Now t
o the eye, one would think the two tarts were identical. But Cristina used puff pastry and the orange creme is light in texture and contained crème fraiche.  Jamie's was crispy phyllo dough and plain old mashed potatoes, so comforting.....and perhaps appealing more to men?  You have to admit, there is just something about this combo: potatoes mashed with whipping cream, eggs and cheese....phyllo pastry....and fresh asparagus. What's not to like? I mean really. 

So I made it yesterday. What a perfect side for grilled meats or fish. Actually, I ate it for dinner, forget the protein. I hope you've worked with phyllo. If not, there are quite a few videos online that explain everything. It's really quite simple. And the soft filling of this tart balances so well with the crispiness of the phyllo.

The only changes I would make to this recipe would be to use a bit more asparagus on top AND perhaps add some sautéed
 scallions to the  mashed potatoes.

But I promise, Cristina, I will be making your lovely tart next weekend!  :) It will be absolutely perfect for some ladies I have coming for lunch.


Potato and Asparagus Tart

Recipe from Jamie at Home HERE.
 Ingredients:
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
Sea salt 
1 pound asparagus spears, woody ends removed, blanched
8 ounces phyllo pastry 
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup freshly grated Lancashire cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Cheddar
3 large organic or free-range eggs 
1 cup (8-ounces) heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Put your potatoes into a pan of salted boiling water and cook for 15 minutes. Meanwhile blanch your asparagus in a separate pan of salted boiling water for 4 minutes, and drain in a colander. 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Get an ovenproof dish - I used a rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom. Layer the sheets of filo pastry in the dish, brushing them with melted butter as you go and letting about 1-inch hang over the edge. You want to get the pastry about 5 layers thick. Put a clean, damp kitchen towel over the top and put aside.


When the potatoes are done, mash them with the cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs and cream and stir into your cheesy mashed potato. Grate in the nutmeg, season well with pepper and mix together. Spread the mashed potato (it will be looser than you expect) over the phyllo pastry, then bring up the sides of the phyllo and scrunch them together to form a rim. Take your blanched asparagus and line them up across the filling, making sure you cover it all. Brush all over with the remaining melted butter and pop into the preheated oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve just as you would a quiche for a quick lunch or supper, with a salad.








59 comments:

  1. The filling sounds delicious, Barbara. Perfect for brunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect with a green salad! Yummy.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks fantastic!! Have added it to my file...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything that has asparagus on it..especially dishes like this..so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just brilliant Barbara. I am going to have a go. I bought asparagus yesterday and I have puff pastry to use up, so I will try it with puff. Can't wait now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love asparagus tarts... and just made a very refined version, but this is a great idea... kind of a whole brunch in a crunchy crust. Asparagus really doesn't get any better than it is at this time of year... the first big vegetable of the new season... and for that... we are grateful. Lovely dish, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara is awondrful and bauty tarte, love it and love asparagaus, x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tart looks just lovely. I would have been sidetracked by this recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fabulous. I love the spring with the great asparagus. I never tire of it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made an asparagus tart a while back and it didn't turn out anywhere near that pretty.

    I'll have to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made many tarts in my life but never one with potatoes and asparagus. It sure looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic. I tried making tart last week, but had a little problem with the base sticking to the pan... not nice.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was sitting here thinking no one would eat it with me, but the fur-girls would love it. We might have to have that next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The filling looks so good with the crispy phyllo crust! I can't get enough of asparagus right now, so I'll looking forward to seeing the next tart you make with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Come on asparagus! At last the sun is shining so we may find the delicious green spears soon. I've bookmarked this delicious recipe. Can't wait!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely surprise..Thank you !!! Yes, we girls should avoid potatoes, particularly before the summer!
    Between you and me only, this kid Jamie is a talented youngster....He is a GENIUS!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful looking tart. Asparagus is everywhere this season and I love it. So yummy!
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking tart! I'm so glad I finally appreciate asparagus, I would love a piece of this. Looking forward to seeing the orange cream next week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh this tart sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's always great when the first spring asparagus hits the stores. This tart looks delicious and I really don't mind working with phyllo dough. The trick is to work fast I think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Barbara,

    I will keep this in mind when the asparagus are in season here.
    this tart looks wonderful and love the combination of the potato and asparagus. Also like the idea with the orange too. I have one of Jamies books and love it, I am always cooking from it.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore asparagus tarts... Never thought to add potatoes too - looks delish!
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  23. That mashed potato and cheese filling sounds pretty irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Protein seems overrated when you have mashed potatoes and phyllo dough to be eaten. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made a similar tart before, but I did not mashed the potatoes.....This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Must be really satisfying to have a slice of this tart. Looks really appetizing Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have chosen to make this tart first, too. I love the mashed potatoes with the asparagus. It is a stunning presentation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks so great! Flaky and smooth at the same time..and the asparagus topping has simply perfected the creation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. wonderful tart and looks so pretty will have to read her blog, love the title

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a lovely tart. Love how it turns out flaky. I can even taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It sounds wonderful, I love asparagus and the rest of the filling looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Omg this makes me soooo hungry right now. It's 1am here! I wish you would post something that can be quickly made at this time of night.

    Your blog is lovely- I love it. It's now one of my faves. XX

    ReplyDelete
  33. this is the asparagus season rght now in France so I just take advantage of it !! soon on my blog !!
    and this tart looks perfect for a sunday night diner !!cheers de Paris pierre

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tes photos sont très alléchantes.
    Ta tarte est délicieuse.
    J'en ferai bien mon diner avec une salade verte.
    Bon 1er mai et à très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ohmygosh, it looks and sounds elegantly delicious. Beautiful Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  36. HOLYY COW....between you and Deana over at LOSTPASTREMEMBERED, I have a host of beautiful recipes for asparagus! She is featuring something similar with WHITE asparagus dearest...I will have to snatch this recipe as well for I intend to entertain this summer with these lovely spears. And this too, is a faery tale; what better way to arouse the senses AND feed the soul than to treat someone like royalty with such delights. Thank you for your visit, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  37. this looks full of all the appealing elements, crispy, creamy, bright, flavorful, delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. love that 1st photo. that would make a great wall art wouldn't it? fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love all kinds of asparagus tarts - I love the look of the golden filling here. I have had such problems with phyllo (OK, maybe I just don't have the phyllo gene) that I would probably substitute puff pastry. (PS - book arrived and it is wonderful!! Thanks so much!!)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Barbara . . . seriously, i audibly gasped and nearly fell off the sofa . . . potatoes, phyllo AND fresh asparagus??? you do know about my, ahem, love affair w/potatoes, right??? i cannot get to the kitchen fast enough for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm not a big potato lover, and I have to say Cristina's recipe sounds really quite special!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a beautiful plate of springtime you have there Barbara! :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tarts are like pies, which means they're a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This looks so elegant, Barbara! Great use for mashed potatoes and the pretty green lines of asparagus really add so much to the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  45. A gorgeous savory phyllo tart, my family would love this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  46. My computer crashed as I was writing this. Hopefully, this is not a duplicate.

    I love how you set the tart up. It is lovely with the asparagus peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Barbara
    Yummy.. This is amazing!! I and my friend both have fresh asparagus in our gardens and I plan to make both this and the orange one! I saw her recipe a week or so ago & texted my friend immediately to tell him about it. Now yours has me equally excited!! I adore Jamie Oliver !
    Have a nice day
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  48. Barbara, this tart looks delicious, love the idea of potato and asparagus and all the cheeses in it. So tasty! Have a great week ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. This fillo tart does look enticing. Heguiberto recently made a lovely mashed cassava dish that would work well in place of potato if you didn't have it. Your fillo crust looks divine. And asparagus is always great... I'm getting hungry lookikng at this.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my goodness...this sounds amazing and looks even better. Another winner my family will love...thanks for sharing. xoxoxo hugs for a great week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  51. this looks like a piece of art! and a delicious one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  52. the potato sounds wonderful...ok, i might try the asparagus...if not i will pick it off...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Looks delightful Barbara. I love love love asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh how pretty, Barbara. Phyllo and I don't seem to get long but, I can drool, can't I?

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  55. asparagus is an ingredient i like to use (but not eat)--it's so appealing to the eye! this is a lovely tart indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. I would much rathr have had a slice of this leftover for lunch than the veggies and dip I rounded up:D

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh yum! I would have never in a million years thought to use mashed potato as a tart filling. How brilliant! I do have a soft spot for that Jamie :) And of course, the uber-talented Christina makes fab mouthwatering stuff too, let us know how that orange/asparagus tart turns out, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Es un placer encontrar tu linda cocina me agrada mucho y ver la tarta de papas y espárragos que mi madre preparaba me dió nostalgía ,eres una gran cocinera por todo lo que veo en tus recetas,un placer de estar en tu cocina,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails