7.07.2013

Vegetable Strudel


If I remember correctly, I first saw this on Pinterest and saved it. Marie's idea of using leftover vegetables rolled up in phyllo made for quite a flavorful dish. I used what I had: cauliflower, red pepper, red onion, garlic, eggplant and carrots, roasted them all together first and then filled phyllo with them. The phyllo was in my freezer, 1/2 package left from another recipe. Topped with cheese and then baked, wow! Yummy supper and pretty darn elegant too, considering this was all leftovers. 
I did things a little differently than Marie. She was a good girl. I wasn't. She sprayed each phyllo layer with olive oil and sprinkled with Romano cheese. Ditto on the top. I went with butter and bread crumbs, making this a richer dish. Your choice. Marie had some marinara sauce leftover and used that on the side. I loved it just the way it came out of the oven. No sauce. I could barely keep my hands off the roasted vegetables, the flavors were so spectacular, let alone add sauce when it was baked. But again, your choice.
When it was all rolled up, I brushed on some more butter and sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top.
Unfortunately, this was not an actual recipe, but I'll do the best I can. Hopefully, everyone knows how to work with phyllo; Marie went into more detail and no doubt you can find additional information online. This was an awesome idea for leftover veggies. 

Vegetable Strudel
Idea from Marie at Proud Italian Cook


Ingredients:
I used: leftover eggplant, red pepper, red onion, carrots, cauliflower, garlic
8 phyllo sheets, thawed overnight in the fridge if frozen

various cheeses; I used mozzarella, Parmesan, fontina and gruyere
Unsalted butter, melted
plain bread crumbs
olive oil
salt and pepper

Method:

Make certain your vegetables are cut in similar sizes. If you use cauliflower, it should be cut into very small florets. Combine the vegetables and place in a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 425 oven until browned, about 30-35  minutes. Allow to cool.
Unfold your phyllo sheets onto a damp tea towel. Also have one available to place on top so the sheets don't dry out. Reduce oven to 400.
I used 8 layers of phyllo, buttering each layer and then sprinkling with bread crumbs.

Add your roasted and cooled vegetables in the center, spreading out, but leaving a border all around the edges of the phyllo. Sprinkle with the cheeses, I used all those listed except the Parmesan, which I sprinkled on top. Roll it up into a log, brush some butter on top and sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano.
Bake in a 400 oven until cooked through and brown, about 30-40 minutes. Mine took a bit longer because my roll was fat and stuffed with lots of vegetables and it took about 45 minutes for the cheese inside to melt completely.



26 comments:

  1. Oh I want to make these too!:)
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a brilliant idea for veggies, Barbara. I'll bet I could get my grandsons to eat more veggies this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW !!!
    I'm going to try that with some squash I just put up. You can do a lot with this. You get so tired cooking the same thing every day.
    Thank you for sharing this,
    Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara I love this absolutely look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious! A lovely combination of summery ingredients.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I call a creative use of leftover vegetables. A side of salad, and a glass of wine, it is perfect.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. I bet I could sneak more veggies into the Knight's diet this way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara su strudel está muy original y delicioso,saludos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant! I have to make one ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara,

    Oh yum and what a great way to use up left over vegetables in the fridge.
    Also the summer treat on your previous post with the meringues and chantilly roasted berries looks delicious.

    Happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it great when leftovers turn out more elegant than the original dish? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your strudel looks absolutely heavenly! I don't think I could keep my hands off it either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious and beautiful way to use left over vegetables!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum. this sounds good...i like the little flakes crust too...what a creative thing to do with left overs as well...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fear the phyllo. Any kind of dough, for that matter. But you are tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This strudel looks great Barbara...after so much sweet I would love to have a slice of this savory strudel...
    Thanks for the recipe and have a lovely week ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love strudel but have never had a vegetable one. Typically I have apple but savory sounds wonderful. I will definitely save this to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this as a fun vegetarian meal! I don't do enough with phyllo dough but it's really such a great ingredient to make things seem a bit fancier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. clever use for those extra bits and pieces in the fridge, "gussied up" in phyllo wrap. this recipe will inspire many variations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great weekend idea that would make some yummy quick reheat lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is an excellent no-recipe recipe! what better way to consume leftovers than to swaddle them in some delicious phyllo dough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm hoping I have some phyllo in the freezer--I think I do! Leftover veggies have never looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you have definitely reminded me that I need to make veggie calzones again.
    since I've really reduced my carb intake I rarely have pizza or pasta.
    but i do miss it, especially savory veggie calzones.
    this looks so good Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now this is one good looking strudel, so delicious :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this sounds incredible Barbara. I did something similar with potatoes awhile back. Love a savory strudel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails