7.21.2013

French Almond Cake with Apricot Cream Cheese Glaze


Lots of recipes out there for French almond cakes and I've made any number, but never found one as simple as this. All mixed in one bowl and done in 35 minutes or so. You can serve it almost immediately. When you read the ingredients you'll think there's a typo....a total of 3 TABLESPOONS almond extract in the recipe? Yep. That's right and a tablespoon of vanilla too. And it works beautifully. This is a fabulous, dense almond cake with a lovely apricot glaze. (Cooks note: You don't need to use a cream cheese glaze, use any glaze you and your family prefer....I saw a rose glaze recently on some cupcakes and was bowled over. I just thought this was more summery.)
Averie referred to this as a "cookie" cake, by which I assume she meant not light and fluffy. It's dense, but not crisp, so I definitely classify this a cake. Frankly, I think it's best served the same day, but because of the cream cheese in this particular glaze, you might want to refrigerate it if you're going to serve it again the next day. Or, alternately, use a glaze without cream cheese. Honestly, I doubt there'll be any left over.


French Almond Cake with Apricot Cream Cheese Glaze

Adapted from Averie Cooks


Ingredients for the cake:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick + half of 1 stick)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons almond extract
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
about 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds

Ingredients for the glaze:
3/4 cup apricot jam 
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon almond extract

Method for the cake:

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch cake round with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan. (I used a springform and lined it with parchment paper. Suggest you also cover the bottom with foil in case it seeps from the bottom.)
In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 75 seconds. Allow butter to cool momentarily.
Add all remaining cake ingredients (except flour) and whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour until combined. Pour batter into the pan and top with almonds. Turn batter out into prepared pan. Top with optional sliced almonds.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden and set, and edges will be firmer and pulling away slightly from sides of pan. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on a rack and then turn the cake out to a plate and cool completely. 

Method for the glaze:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and beat with a mixer until combined. Spread glaze on top of cake (it can still be warm). 




21 comments:

  1. A lovely cake! That glaze is delightful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I love simple cakes like this - one layer and full of flavor. And, I think I've got all the ingredients in the pantry ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose glaze?! I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of cake and all that almond extract...all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely cake! The glaze looks particularly great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the 3 tbsps of almond:)

    Love that taste..looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Una gran receta me encantaria probar luce húmeda e irresistible,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our favorite! So nice that it's easy and delicious as well.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great and love the glaze too

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely cake indeed and that glaze sounds wonderful. Will sure try it soon. bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like an easy cake for summer entertaining. I love the flavor of almond so this most be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know which aspect of this cake has me more tempted---the assertive almond in the cake or that cream cheese-apricot glaze. fabulous recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For someone like me who loves almond extract, this cake looks divine! I doubt there'd be any leftovers in my house, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There can never be enough almond cakes :) I love the glaze on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an interesting glaze! i find that i have to be quite careful with the amount of almond extract i add to things--it can take something over in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love anything with almonds. I wouldn't have to worry about left-overs :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's my kind of recipe Barbara! It looks delicious too!!! I'd be spreading that glaze while the cake is warm for sure. Oh my, I wish I had a piece right now!

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's simply beautiful...

    The texture is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think my diet is going you know where in a hand basket!!! It looks so very very delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails