7.24.2013

Coffee and Cocoa Granita


Are you making a lot of granitas this summer? There couldn't be a simpler dessert, icy and refreshing and kids love it. I made a fresh strawberry one last week....just added a bit of lemon to the pureed strawberries. It was divine.
But now this granita, unearthed in the new Donna Hay Issue (which contains, interestingly, all black and white recipes) definitely comes down on the dark side. I don't do this very often, but since you've already noticed I ramble on about the photography in Donna Hay, they've outdone themselves on this one, so I've posted it. Their food stylists took such care with this simple dessert. I love that everything is dark except that nifty grey container and aren't the textures marvelous? Those flakes of granita spilled over....every detail results in a feast for the eyes.



                                                                                 (Photo from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue #70)



And then there's mine. Well. What can I say? Bright light and straight forward. I'm NOT going to be hired by Donna Hay anytime soon. But who cares? The granita was fabulous.

Coffee and Cocoa Granita
Donna Hay, Black & White Issue, #70



Ingredients:
1/2 cup espresso
1 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa
3 cups water

Method:
Place all ingredients in a saucepan, whisk until sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in a high-sided metal container and freeze until mixture is frozen, stirring edges into center every 20 to 30 minutes, about 1 1/2 hours. Using fork, scrape granita into flaky crystals. Serve or cover tightly to freeze for later. 

18 comments:

  1. I've never had a Granita. Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna Hay's photos are spectacular and they are the biggest seller to me about her recipes. I've made many granitas and they are wonderful light desserts in summer, especially if you don't have an ice cream maker. Love your coffee one Barbara. I'll add the cocoa to mine next time.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshing and heavenly! Granita reminds me of my childhood...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son loves granita especially the strawberry one! This cocoa/coffee one is a more adult version and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like breakfast to me. Hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granita looks delicious, Barbara. Frozen stuff is so hard to photograph, especially when it's a dark color. I make ice cream all the time for have never tried a granita. It looks so light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful! I do love the photography in Donna Hays's stuff. I have one of her books where everything is photographed on white dishes and it's just gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks perfect to me. When I have the choice of ice cream, my list goes....coffee, pistachio and chocolate with vanilla a strong runner up. I know I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a lot of depth to Donna Hay's food photo. Once you pointed it out, it does indeed capture the ambience of this granita.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, it's all about the looks but its the taste that really takes the cake!!! Love the notion of Cocoa and Coffee as a Granita.

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    P.S. I think your pic is quite enticing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOu just reminded me that i have not had granita since last summer...love the idea of coffee and cocoa...looks refreshing!
    Hope you are having a lovely week Barbara :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to start making something different rather than just ice lollies...yours looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So refreshing on a hot summer day Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my kind of granita with coffee and cocoa flavors! Yes, Donna's photo is gorgeous but yours looks equally flaky and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Se ve exquisita esta combinación me encanta sobremanera,saludos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a picture of something this tasty doesn't have to be oh-so-professional to be alluring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a clever idea to focus an issue on only black and white recipes. leave it to Donna Hay!

    coffee cocoa granita would be a splendid mid-afternoon pick-me-up

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails