4.16.2012

Rhubarb Ice Cream with Crumble Topping


It's a wonder I had enough liquid left to make ice cream. I kept taking spoonfuls of it out of the fridge while it was chilling! Roll your eyes and say Mmmmmmm! moments.  Of course you know how I love rhubarb. And ice cream. 

My mother used to make a frozen raspberry chiffon pie with a crumble crust. I thought that crumble would be perfect with a scoop of this fabulous ice cream sitting on top. It was.


Rhubarb Ice Cream

(I have no idea where I found this recipe)
Ingredients:
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, about 3 1/2 cups 
1 cup sugar 
3 large egg yolks 
2/3 cup whole milk 
1 cup heavy cream 

Method:
In a saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup sugar. Cover and cook over low heat until rhubarb releases its juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until most of water evaporates and rhubarb has a soft jam like consistency, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. 
Whisk egg yolks lightly. In a saucepan, combine milk, cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Heat almost to a boil, but don't let it boil. Gradually whisk milk mixture into yolks. Return to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Using a fine-meshed sieve, strain into a bowl. 
Add rhubarb mixture and cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight. 
Freeze in an ice-cream maker to manufacturer's instructions.

Mother's Crumble

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Method:

In a large baking pan stir the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and nuts with a fork. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool. After about 10 minutes, crush the pieces with a fork to make a nice crumb consistency.


33 comments:

  1. Divine! I am such a big fan of rhubarbe.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely delicious! Makes me want to go out find some rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I'm afraid if I had it in the house, I'd be trying to justify eating it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty amazing! I'll bet its got a nice tart flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious ice cream!Rhubarb flavor..... What a great idea,Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious ice cream!Rhubarb flavor..... What a great idea,Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I really can't wait for rhubarb season (it's only about two minutes long here)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately we don't have rhubarb in Greece, but if we had I would have made this ice cream for sure. It really looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is one dreamy bowl of ice cream. love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara this sounds amazing. I'd eat anything with that crumble on it : )

    I hope you are enjoying a wonderful Spring.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look delicious Barbara I love Ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How delicious Barbara. I adore rhubarb. Never had rhubarb ice cream yet but I have no doubt it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm obsessed with crumbles right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forget pie, the next batch of rhubarb I pick up is being turned into ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant. I'm crazy for rhubarb too, and it's delicious with/as ice cream (the tart-sweet thing, you know...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only rhubarb lover in my family is my sister, but this does look tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a nice ice cream...I still need to try to get rhubarb...
    The crumble is sure a nice addition to the ice cream. Love the picture Barbara!
    Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have NEVER seen rhubarb ice cream! what a great idea, and the crumble topping is perfect. bravo, barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I believe you and I have discussed our mutual love of rhubarb anything... this is a remarkable find indeed... just copied it and will make it this weekend when my cream arrives from my Amish farmer... it will be bliss!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rhubarb crumble and icecream are two of my favourite desserts. Combining them is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ice cream and crumble topping! Genius! Mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love rhubarb and it really is the best ingredient for a delicious crumble. I love your presentation. This just looks amazing. I'm having a dinner party on Saturday night and I'd like to give this a go. Thanks for a great recipe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea to make ice cream with rhubarb, looks delicious, especially with the crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, this sounds wonderful, Barbara! The crumble topping is perfect. I love rhubarb and finally planted some in my yard last year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, homemade ice cream and crumb topping! I can feel the cool ice cream and the crunch in my mouth as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd never had rhubarb until we moved to the Midwest. I was surprised that my kids liked it immediately, despite the fact that it bore a resemblance to celery. I know I'd like the ice cream, but I want to try that pie first. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that is the perfect pairing, like a crumble in frozen form.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's not rhubarb time here yet but this looks so delicious I've posted it for future reference. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. rhubarbs in season, perfect timing

    ReplyDelete
  30. I JUST MADE 3 BATCHES OF THIS, AND IT'S DIIIIIIVINE!!! I think (for grins and giggles) I might run one batch of the cooked rhubarb/sugar through the blender to makes a smoother ice cream, but the flavor is OFFFF THE CHARTS if you're a rhubarb lover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My neighbor gave US a huge sack of rhubarb a couple days ago, and I made 3 batches of this ice cream!! TOTALLY D-I-V-I-N-E! Thank you so much for this RECIPE! Last year when he gave us rhubarb I made killer rhubarb jam and gave him some. I know he expects jam again. IS HE IN FOR A BIG SURPRISE! This ice cream will be an early summer tradition in our home from NOW ON!! YUM-OOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't know you make rhubarb ice cream, too! I did, as well - and I concocted my recipe from reading so many! Yours is very different - but I understand exactly what you mean. It was one of the best of the 9 I made this summer!
    YUM!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails