4.07.2012

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream Pie in Toasted Pecan Crust



Happy Easter!
         and
Happy Passover!



This recipe has been on my radar a long time. It was originally on the cover of the April 2007 issue of Bon Appetite Magazine via their  RSVP column and the recipe came from  Jamie's Restaurant in Pensacola, FL. I tore out the recipe, stuck it in my file and finally got around to making it last Easter. My little bunnies were very happy floating in the meringue and my guests were very happy to dig into this pie!
Susan from Savoring Time in the Kitchen posted the same pie last summer and she noted what a great summer dessert this was. I agree. To save time you can use store bought lemon curd and ice cream. The crust is fabulous.

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream Pie in Toasted Pecan Crust

Bon Appétit  | April 2007
 

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 cups vanilla bean ice cream
Meringue:
3 large egg whites
Pinch of cream of tartar
5 tablespoons sugar
Lemon Curd; recipe follows if you want to make your own

Method:

Make the curd according to instructions and chill for a few hours to firm up.
Preheat oven to 400. Mix the pecans, sugar and butter together until moistened. Press the pecan mixture on the bottom and up the sides of a 9” diameter glass pie dish, the mixture will be crumbly. Bake until the crust is slightly toasted, about 12 minutes. The crust will have slipped down the sides, use the back of a spoon to press it back in to place. Cool and then freeze the crust for 30 minutes.
Dollop 1 1/2 Cups of the softened ice cream over the crust, and spread into an even layer. Spread lemon curd over the ice cream and freeze until firm. About 1 1/2 hours. Dollop the remaining ice cream over the lemon curd, and freeze again. You can do this in advance and finish it with meringue when ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 500. To make the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy, add the pinch of cream of tartar and gradually add the sugar while mixer is running. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread the meringue on top of the pie in an even layer. Place the pie in the oven until meringue is golden in spots, about 3-4 minutes. You could use a butane torch as an alternative if you own one. Cut and serve immediately.

Meyer Lemon Curd

Recipe from David Lebovitz
Ingredients:
1/2 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 tablespoons butter
pinch of salt

Method:

Place a mesh strainer over a bowl, and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, eggs, and salt.
Add the butter cubes and set the pan over low heat, whisking constantly until the butter is melted.
Increase the heat a VERY LITTLE bit and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and just begins to become jelly-like. It’s done when you lift the whisk and the mixture holds its shape when it falls back into the saucepan from the whisk. For me, this took about ten minutes in a 12” pan.
Immediately press the curd through the strainer. Once strained, store the lemon curd in the refrigerator.


26 comments:

  1. That looks magnificent! What a great spring dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and so funny with little rabbits. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable is that pie! Happy Easter to you too Barbara.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....very, very nice!! Happy Easter to you. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara,

    Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourites and I love to make it and eat it.
    Having the icecream with it will be even more delicious and thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Happy Easter and Happy Passover
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, Barbara:) Your Lemon Meringue Pie looks scrumptious! (pinned:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...A very Happy, Blessed Easter to You and Yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know we always say we are bookmarking a recie but it is true, it is true. Lemon meringue pie is my birthday cake of choice and since I am a summer baby...guess what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy easter/Passover!

    This pie is just to die for! I am a sucker for citrusy desserts.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Look absolutely lovely I love Barbara!!!! mmaybe the next year If I alive I will make this LOL, love this cake,
    Happy Easter!!
    Love the bunnies of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful cake! (David Lebovitz makes the best lemon curd.)
    Have a lovely {Holiday} weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely Easter table worthy, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recipe! My family requests it now :) Glad you tried and liked it, Barbara.

    Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so excited about this, but the Knight says he STILL won't eat "cooked egg fluff". Hem.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How Yummy!!! Love the bunnies, too. I'm a sucker for lemon meringue.. can't wait to try this crust.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good, Barbara! Because of the evil scheduling demons I have to work on Easter, which sort of sucks rocks (an expression I've used for years that is everso silly). I will dream of this as I go about my day eating a boxed lunch on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good, Barbara! Because of the evil scheduling demons I have to work on Easter, which sort of sucks rocks (an expression I've used for years that is everso silly). I will dream of this as I go about my day eating a boxed lunch on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a showstopper of a dessert! The little bunnies are so cute, too, perfect for spring. Happy easter to you, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meringues are on my list of baked goods to conquer and with lemon curd in the middle, this sounds like the perfect one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do believe I've died and gone to heaven. This looks better than wonderful and comes close to the ambrosia of the gods. What a perfect holiday dessert. I hope you have a great Easter. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! I love over-the-top celebratory Easter desserts, Barbara! Hope you had a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i HATE meringue, but my oh my, it's impressive! this is a lovely pie, barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How adorable is THIS! I bet there isn't any pie left!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That crust sounds amazing. I've bookmarked this. Can't wait to start baking properly again. Belated Easter wishes to you and your family Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lord have mercy....that looks downright sinful! I wish I could find Meyer lemons...grrrr

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails