5.04.2015

Mother's Waldorf Salad



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Every year I combine Mother's Day with my mother's birthday, as they fall within the same week. We always did it that way when she was alive, so I'm continuing the tradition. She's been gone 14 years now and I miss her.
I think the best way to remember Mom is in the kitchen as she was a super home cook and a superb baker. But this year, rather than desserts or baked goods, I'm going to feature one of her favorite salads: Waldorf. She made it all the time. We all know the history and when I looked up the Waldorf's most recent remake of this old favorite, it's a far different recipe than my mother's. But I'm going to post hers with the addition of the spiced walnuts from the Waldorf's recipe. (Mother's recipe used toasted walnuts.)

Happy Birthday and Happy Mother's Day, Mom! 



Mother's Favorite Waldorf Salad



Ingredients:
2/3 cup dried tart cherries, slightly softened in some hot water, then drained
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
4 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/3 cups very thinly sliced celery
1 1/3 cups red seedless grapes, halved
2 cups raw walnut halves
1 egg white
1 tablespoon spice mixture (such as a combination of paprika, cayenne, ground fennel seed, and ground coriander)
1 cup sugar

Method:
For the walnuts:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, combine walnuts and egg white; add spice mixture and sugar and mix until evenly coated. Spread walnuts into an even layer on a nonstick sheet lined with parchment paper; roast in the oven until browned, about 20 minutes.

Whisk mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in large bowl. Add apples, celery, grapes and cherries; toss. Season with salt and pepper.

Arrange lettuce on platter. Spoon salad over. Top salad with candied walnuts.


17 comments:

  1. You obviously received the 'good cook' gene from your mom Barbara. Thanks for sharing her salad recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delicious salad! Your mother was beautiful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty girl!
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, we can honor our Mother's by cooking. Your Mom was really classy. I love that sweater. I also love how you plated her Waldorf salad. Happy Mothers Day to you Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother's recipe is similar to my mom's, Barbara. It was such a popular recipe back in the 50's and 60's. Adding the tart cherries is new to me and it sounds delicious. The old, classic recipes are my favorites. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mother's recipe is similar to my mom's, Barbara. It was such a popular recipe back in the 50's and 60's. Adding the tart cherries is new to me and it sounds delicious. The old, classic recipes are my favorites. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very beautiful salad! Happy Mother's Day, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. putting candied walnuts in waldorf salad is a great idea! beautiful presentation and lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Barbara,

    Your Mother was beautiful and lovely to remember her in this lovely post.
    The Waldorf salad looks good.
    Happy Mothers day and enjoy the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picture of your mom...nice salad, I love all the textures in this salad...
    Happy Mother's Day Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful memories of your mother! Food is so undeniably connected with people and childhood memories! This is a lovely salad Barbara, Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preparing a loved one's recipe is a wonderful way to honor her memory. I like the addition of dried and soaked cherries to the Waldorf---I've never tried that. Also like how you added the updated touch of the spiced walnuts, to surround that pretty salad. Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the picture of your mother

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great photo, Barbara! I love Waldorf salad but haven't had it in ages. I'll bet that's her china :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great happy mothers day lovely lady

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom's birthday is on May 8, so we often celebrate both in the same weekend. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mother is darling and she looks like such a happy person too Barbara! Love the photo of her! I also love her recipe, and because I love waldorf salad, I think this is just what I want for lunch today.
    I hope your Mother's Day was a lovely one too.
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails