5.20.2015

Spicy Macaroni Salad


Memorial Day was always the first day of real summer when I was a kid. School was out by then, we weren't allowed to go swimming before Memorial Day and picnic season officially began with that weekend. Our little town always had some sort of service honoring our fallen soldiers. And weather permitting, we ended the day with a picnic, my mother's traditional macaroni salad included the picnic basket.

Nothing against my mother's macaroni salad (which we all loved), but I couldn't resist the idea of a spicy macaroni salad to serve this summer alongside some grilled chicken, ribs or steak. Spiced several ways in fact, so perfect next to grilled meat.


Spicy Macaroni Salad

From Noble Pig



Ingredients:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup horseradish
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped peperoncini
1/3 cup  peperoncini juice (from the jar)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and cooled
4 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

Method:
In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, horseradish, sour cream, Parmesan, peperoncini, peperoncini juice, lemon juice, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (You can easily make this part a day ahead. Don't worry if the consistency is thin, the pasta will soak it all up.) 

Add pasta, eggs and peas to the mayo-horseradish mixture; combine well. Place in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.

17 comments:

  1. A scrumptious salad! Those flavours are fabulous.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this salad & love the fact it has pepperoncini juice in it - YUM!!! Sounds perfect for Memorial Day too ~ Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in time for picnic weather Barbara. I will definitely be making this for our next family gathering. It sounds like something I could eat all by myself :)))
    sending hugs your way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the same with Memorial weekend for me when growing up! It was a huge deal with festivities. There was always a fish fry, parade, etc near the town square. Your salad sounds great and the picture is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be still my heart. I LOVE horseradish, so I must try this... even if no one else will eat it with me. And I still struggle with pools opening before Memorial Day, just as I do white shoes after Labor Day. It just isn't right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara,

    Enjoy your picnic weather and the sunshine - the salad looks wonderful to take on a picnic.
    Hope all is well
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horseradish and sour cream...I love the combo of flavours! The salad looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it's only breakfast I wish I'd made this last night so I could pull a Nigella and raid the fridge for the leftovers. What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. horseradish scares me a little bit and i usually only use a dab here and there. my beau would love this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a bit intimidated by that cookbook, but this recipe sounds easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful recipe, Barbara! I love horseradish :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly kicked up a macaroni salad. I like this idea. It sounds like your memories of Memorial Day are similar to mine. We always had a parade that ended at the cemetery to honor the fallen soldiers and then it was off to Lake Michigan for the first picnic and swim of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am sure your mother's macaroni salad is very good but this one sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, we love macaroni salad and this one sounds inviting indeed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Horseradish--Peperoncini--Red Pepper Flakes---wonderful combo of fiery elements to spark the salad. Happy Memorial Day, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a macaroni salad fan but this recipe looks absolutely delicious. It proves, if you know what to do, you can make it yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails