4.27.2015

Martha's Coffeecake


Back in the 70's, Martha, the young daughter of a dear friend, gave me this recipe.  Never inquired whose recipe it was or how she discovered it at her young age, but what a gem it is! When company comes, Martha's coffeecake is always on the menu for breakfast, then I watch while everyone goes over and cuts slices of it all day long. It's addictive. Martha is now a grandmother and I wonder if she still makes this coffeecake. Must remember to ask her, she's on Facebook with me.

You can make
 this in mini bundt molds as well and for this post I made it in two eight inch molds instead of one large bundt mold. That way you can freeze one. I realize many of you rarely use box cake mixes and there are any number of delicious coffeecake recipes made from scratch, but honestly, this recipe is a great time-saver, it's beautifully moist, with that lovely cinnamony crunch in the middle and you'll be amazed at the raves you'll get. Such a simple, old fashioned recipe, but those are the best kind.

Martha's Coffeecake




Ingredients:
1 box Duncan Hines Golden Butter Cake Mix  (!)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup crisco oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
8 Tablespoons light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon

butter and dry bread crumbs

Method:

Mix all ingredients except brown sugar and cinnamon. Generously butter a bundt pan (or two small bundts...or even the mini bundts...just watch your baking time.) and sprinkle with dry bread crumbs, knocking the bundts on the side to remove excess crumbs.
Pour half of the batter into the pan- or divide between 2 small bundt pans. Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar ( Note: I always make more than called for in this recipe) and sprinkle on top of the layer. Cover with remaining batter and bake 350 for 1 hour.




18 comments:

  1. It has turned out perfect, Barbara. I first thought it was icing sugar atop..the mix of brown sugar and cinnamon is even more interesting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, extremely tempting and surely divine!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flavor combination sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure I have made this:) The 70's were my entry into being a wife..mom..cook:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of making a coffee cake on a sunday and then snacking on it all week :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this coffecake Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I need is a slice of this delicious cake and a cup of hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why this would be so popular. Must try. Would be great when the family visits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love a cake mix quick fix! plus, there's that awesome cinnamon swirl, so you know i'm on board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about old-fashioned coffee cake recently! This looks so moist and lovely, Barbara! Nothing wrong with a great, old recipe and I have no aversion to using a boxed cake mix now and then. Duncan Hines is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, I've been wanting a good coffee cake recipe~ This one looks easy and delicious! Happy I found your blog today~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always been a fan of Duncan Hines mixes, and I know this cake will be fabulous with the pecans and sour cream to gussy it all up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Duncan Hines cake mixes. They are the best, so moist and good. This is a perfect coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Barbara, serendipity--I posted about a pie wherein I give both my bonafide recipe and my "cheater" recipe using Jello vanilla instant pudding. Truth is, sometimes these box mixes, when "gussied up" as Sue says, are really good. And, this coffeecake looks really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, my mom had a similar recipe. I think it was on the back of a yellow cake box at one point. I can't believe I remember that! Maybe it's because the cake is so good. I'll have to make this for my son in memory of his sweet grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a hard resisting coffee cake. This one looks so good with that cinnamon crunch in the middle! I'm going to make a cup of tea and wish I had a slice of this to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This coffeecake looks delicious, I wouldn't mind a big slice with some tea (it's getting cold here!)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes those simple, "doctored" recipes are the best.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails