5.25.2015

Radish, Tomato & Onion Savory Tart


Radishes were one of the first things I planted in my very first garden....I remember pulling them out, washing them off and biting into that crisp, peppery flesh, still warm from the sun. Sheer heaven. One of my favorite lunches was a piece of toast, with a touch of mayo, topped with fresh sliced radishes, salt and pepper.  Another of my favorite radish dishes came much later and is a cooked radish and potato salad. It's amazing, unusual and very few can guess the ingredients. I make it often.

Now that I've discovered this tart, it will also be going on my make often list. Nothing compares to using fresh from your own garden and this recipe combines garden fresh radishes with your home grown tomatoes and results in a delicious and colorful lunch. Save the recipe for when your garden is producing..... this is well worth the wait. The cream cheese is the icing on the cake and that touch of onion is perfect. Perhaps I'll put some herbs on top the next time, but for now, this was fabulous, simple and so easy to make.


Radish, Tomato & Onion Savory Tart


Ingredients:
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
Cream cheese, spreadable
Bunch of radish leaves 
2 medium tomatoes, sliced and drained on paper towels
2 medium onions, sliced
6 radishes, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place the two pastry sheets on a parchment-lined baking sheet and turn up the edges to form a border. Spread with the cream cheese, add radish leaves, tomato slices, onions and radishes. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper  and bake  for about 10- 15 minutes.  (I stuck it under the broiler for a bit at the end) Cut and serve.


16 comments:

  1. Barbara this tart look sooo delicious!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had any luck with growing radishes. The tart looks splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scrumptious tart! A wonderful choice of toppings.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I much prefer cooked radishes to raw, so I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom loved radish sandwiches..?I am growing some French ones as I type..
    Love radish apps..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to grow radishes in a container this year. They are doing well so far! I never had luck growing them in the ground - perhaps the rabbits got to them first :) This sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a pretty and colorful tart...I absolutely the idea of tomatoes, onion and radish...simple and so elegant!
    Have a great week Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we didn't plant any radishes and i'm already regretting it! this is a delightful savory tart--way to class it up, barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made a similar dish with cream cheese topped with radish slices, but it was left cold. This sounds so good with the tomatoes and being baked and warmed! I wish I could grow my own vegetables. I can barely grow a few herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm marking this for when my CSA gives us radishes for weeks on end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolute genius, and beautiful, too! I love recipes that use unexpected ingredients, and radishes are so wonderful in the spring - pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gorgeous tart! I never think to cook with radishes, but this is a lovely way to showcase them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea Barbara. The tart is so pretty too. Radishes have a beauty all of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tart, Barbara. This would be wonderful with a nice green salad. Whatever would we do without prepared puff pastry? It's so darn versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never ate cooked radishes (roasted with potatoes!) until a year or so ago---they are delicious, and truly surprising. No doubt, this tart is a winner too. The humble radish is a pleasure to have in the garden---it grows so quickly. One of my favorite ways is simple as yours---sliced on a baguette with butter and sea salt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious savory tart and a very unique idea to bake the radishes! Have a happy month of June!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails