2.15.2015

Prune Cookbook: Sesame Biscuits


Have you ever been to Prune in NYC's East Village? Gabrielle Hamilton is the chef/owner. I had read her book Blood, Bones and Butter quite a while back and truly enjoyed the story of her career...and her blunt honesty in telling it. It's a fun read. 
Prune is a smallish restaurant and Hamilton's food is a surprising mixture of innovation and simplicity. Put it on your restaurant list if you're going to visit NYC.




My daughter is a big fan, knows Gabrielle, eats there often and received a signed Prune cookbook for Christmas. I read it through, took some bad photos with my phone and decided to make a couple recipes for the blog. 



But first, I want to show you what the cookbook looks like, as it's quite unique and unexpected. The pages have punch holes in them looking as though they've been photographed directly from Gabrielle's personal loose leaf binder..they're splattered with food stains and handwritten notes are scattered throughout, with amounts for doubling and tripling the recipes in bold yellow strips. Take a look:



And look at this simple sandwich recipe...Bacon and Marmalade on Pumpernickel. To quote Ina: how easy is that? 



You'll find Gabrielle's book is filled with unusual offerings, some so simple you wonder why it was even included in the book (like the above recipe) and others so off the wall you'd never attempt them. But there are a lot of gems in there too. Altogether, an eccentric cookbook, much like the author herself.

I chose the Sesame Biscuits as I'd never seen a recipe quite like it. When I mixed the flour into the red wine mixture, it looked more like a mud pack for your face than dough. I nearly dumped it right then (how could this turn out well?) but persevered. And another puzzle: the amount of sugar in the recipe...is this 
an appetizer? A cookie?

After baking, I found they did taste slightly sweet, but interestingly, all those toasted sesame seeds are the predominate flavor. The cinnamon and wine are only slightly noticeable and I thought they were quite good. 
However, I think I would serve them with wine rather than tea. Especially since Gabrielle introduced this recipe alongside a milk punch recipe.

Sesame Biscuits
From Prune by Gabrielle Hamilton



Ingredients:
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup dry red wine
3 cups flour
1 cup sesame seed, toasted

Method:
Set oven to 350.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and olive oil until dissolved and creamy.
Add the baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt, cinnamon and red wine. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Stir in the flour and beat vigorously until the dough comes together, then knead by hand a moment to a smooth consistency.
Scoop 1 inch balls of dough and roll into perfect spheres between the palms of your hands, then press each cookie between thumb and forefinger to make a thick puck shape.
Dip in toasted sesame seeds to fully coat and lay on a parchment-lined sheet pan. If you have difficulty getting the sesame seeds to stick, mist them super gently with the water before tossing in the sesame seeds.

Bake for 20 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. An interesting looking cookbook for sure--right down to the food stains.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book too, and I don't think anyone writes about food as beautifully as she does. I'd love to get to Prune sometime when I'm in New York. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to see it when it's available at my library..meanwhile the coolies look different and good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I baked some sesame cookies last week too. But yours is so special with olive oil and red wine. I am saving this for the next batch. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those biscuits must be really delicious! This si such a great flavour combination.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sesame and these look beautiful Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun cookbook! Those biscuits are intriguing- I love sesame seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've perused her cookbook, I think from the library, and saw many interesting things in it. How fun that your daughter knows her and eats at her restaurant. I know I would love anything with sesame seeds. Hope you have a lovely week ahead.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool cookbook, and how awesome that you sort of know her! this is a unique recipe and i think it must yield some highly satisfying bites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an interesting cookbook Barbara...and the cookies look great, I like the idea of using olive oil...and super delicious coated with sesame seeds.
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Barbara, These look wonderful. I would love to have them with tea in this cold weather. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon and marmalade sandwiches are one of my favorite things... not on pumpernickel but on good homemade bread. Love the sweet and salty and smoky thing. Heaven. Love her too... what a character in the best possible way. I really should get her book but have too many waiting to be read as it is...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails