2.18.2015

Pain Pepin


Jacques Pepin's One Pan Bread really caught my interest a while back. Well, probably everybody's interest. But there were so many comments online about failures, it stopped me from trying it until recently, mainly because I saw a beautiful loaf of it on Pinterest, decorated with herbs and tomatoes. (Once you see that, the other loaves look boring!)
The trick to the "one pan" is the kind of pan you use. It won't work without the perfect pan. I was pretty sure I had one so decided to give it a try, preparing myself not to be surprised if it stuck to the pan when finished. (Mine is a Calphalon, 4 1/2 quart, 8 inches diameter, with a lid. Like THIS.)

As you can see, it worked perfectly! I took a photo of the pan just after baking so you can see how the bread drew away from the sides. (Bottom of post)  Also at the bottom of the post is the video of Pepin making the bread.
I did make some changes to the original recipe: I added sauteed and cooled garlic, onion and thyme to the dough before the first rising. After taking the dough out of the fridge the next morning to bake, I decorated the top with parsley, mint, chives, tomatoes and thyme.
Do try it.

Jacques Pepin's One Pan Bread



You need a non-stick pot and  an overnight rising in the fridge.

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups lukewarm water
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast (If you've watched the video, Pepin is very vague about amount of yeast.)
4 cups flour


Method:
In a non-stick pot combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon. (If you are adding onions or herbs, do it now.)
Place lid or cover on pot and proof at room temperature for 60 to 90 minutes.


Deflate the dough, replace lid and place pot in the refrigerator overnight; 10 to 14 hours or so.

When ready to bake, remove lid and place pot in (preheated) 400º(F) oven ~ bake for about 40 minutes until deep golden brown. . 

Makes great toast, great sandwiches and you can add herbs, minced onion, roasted garlic, etc. to the dough.  THIS website is where I got the idea to decorate the top; she also added tabbouleh to hers. Check out her recipe.




Here's a photo of the pan I made the bread in...you can see it has pulled away from the sides.






18 comments:

  1. Now everyone will be oohing over yours on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I don't have the proper pan. This does look delicious!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the exact site I Pinned:) You did it perfectly..I just don't know if my Le Creuset would work..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful bread and great method.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread turned out perfect, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited about this recipe Barbara. You did a beautiful job and I can hardly wait to try it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely bread Barbara and you additions make it so pretty. I must try this. Jacques Pepin is the best.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delish Barbara! I haven't been by to say hi in so long and wanted to stop and see how you are my dear. Hope you are having a good winter and that things are good with you. All's well here, other than spring is coming a little too soon to my part of Idaho. We are the opposite of what is going on in the east...it's too little snow for us here.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This look beautiful Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They don't make them like Jacques Pepin anymore, Barbara. He's a favorite of mine:)

    I agree with Pam, now we all will be swooning over your Pain Pepin:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    P.S Barbara, do you have any meatball recipes you'd like to share? If so, see my latest post:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on the hunt for the "perfect pan"...

    Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. he's a superstar, for sure, but so are you--this is an absolutely beautiful batch of bread, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - your loaf is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations for trying, and succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great with all your additions, Barbara! I've seen this pinned and wondered about it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The herbs and tomatoes on top are so pretty. It looks like this would be amazing for sandwiches, but I bet the whole loaf would disappear quickly after it comes out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one fine bread Susan! I love the colors and herbs you added in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yet another I can't wait to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sad that I don't have a nonstick pot. :( Maybe a trip to Marshall's is in order? Your bread is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails