8.05.2014

Grilled Scallops with Rémoulade Sauce


Quite some time ago I posted my mother's recipe for Shrimp Remoulade. I admitted it was NOT a favorite of mine, but my mother made it every Christmas Eve and it became a family tradition. They all loved it. When my mother retired from the kitchen, I took over the cooking and the family insisted I keep the tradition alive. After my parents were gone and my children grown and not able to be here every Christmas, my days/years of making this dish were finally over. A sigh of relief here, although I now would trade making that dish just to have us all together every year.
So when I saw this scallop dish with rémoulade sauce, I was hesitant. After checking to make certain it was nothing like my mother's recipe (really sorry, mom), I decided to try it. It was absolutely delicious. I don't know how often you eat scallops (I love them), but this sauce would be wonderful on any shellfish. 

Grilled Scallops with Rémoulade Sauce
By Fred Thompson from Grillin' with Gas,  via Fine Cooking 




Ingredients for the Rémoulade Sauce:
1/2 cup good-quality mayonnaise
1 Tbs. capers, drained and minced 
1 Tbs. sweet pickle relish 
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon 
1 Tbs. finely minced shallot  
1 tsp. tarragon or Champagne vinegar 
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced 
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard 
Kosher salt 
A good sprinkle of paprika 

Ingredients for the Scallops:
20 to 24 large sea scallops (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds), all about the same thickness, side muscle removed 
Canola oil 
Kosher salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
40 to 48 skewers (optional; if using bamboo, soak in water for 30 minutes) 

Method:
For the rémoulade sauce, put the mayonnaise, capers, pickle relish, tarragon, shallot, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt, and paprika into a blender. Pulse several times, until well combined. Refrigerate.

Brush each scallop on all sides with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Skewer your scallops. Oil the grill racks. Preheat your grill using all burners set on high and with the lid closed for 10 to 12 minutes.

Place the scallops over direct heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, and then turn and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. The scallops should be barely opaque in the center and should feel firm to the touch but with some give. Don’t overcook the scallops. Serve the rémoulade sauce along with the scallops.

You can make the rémoulade sauce up to 24 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.


14 comments:

  1. I think every female in my southern family had a different recipe for remoulade sauce. Most I didn't like. I finally settled on one that I did. Your's is a bit different so I'm happy to have it. Those scallops look amazing!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! This refined and delicious combination is perfect.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well we can't love everything our mothers make! So glad you found a version of this that you actually like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're liking this remoulade! (Tarragon and Dijon mustard sound great). Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore scallops but I've never served them with rémoulade, which I normally use with shrimp. Your presentation is so lovely and I will definitely give it a try. My mayonnaise based rémoulade sauce is similar to this, minus the pickle relish.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I won't rest till I made this, that sauce sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me a little sad; I'm allergic to scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look absolutely perfect Barbara! It is so unfortunate that scallops are so rare here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scallops and any shellfish, but never thought of pairing them with rémoulade...it looks very inviting and I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and know that my scallop loving hubby will too. The sauce looks very easy. I know what you mean about family recipes. My Mother had a ham loaf recipe that she served when the family was all together. I used to make it. Not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never eaten scallops with a remoulade sauce but I think I would absolutely love it! Your scallops also look beautifully seared on the grill. Now my mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! These scallops look awesome, and the sauce just sound delicious...I must give this a try!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe Barbara...hope you are having a fantastic week :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't really like seafood, but scallops are the exception. these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Very light and refreshing. Good balance of sweet, sour, with a slight kick. I added shrimp as well but I could imagine this would work just as well with grilled octopus. Great grill alternative and perfect for summer.

    Rowena
    Great data for Seattle Horizontal Drilling

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails