5.30.2016

Rhubarb Poundcake


This time of year I always look forward to the arrivals of all the late spring fruits: rhubarb, peaches and apricots are by far my favorites. They've all arrived in my market now as is obvious by my posts. For those of you who follow me, I guess I don't need to remind you how many rhubarb recipes you see from me each spring! I even have a Pinterest board entitled "Just Rhubarb"! I'm a purist and don't like to mix it with other fruits, so you'll not find any strawberry/rhubarb combos here. I honestly think my all time favorite is the rhubarb ice cream I posted three years ago, but I keep finding gems to post....and here's one for you pound cake lovers. I love the tartness of rhubarb and it shines right through in this pound cake. Can you see how tender a crumb this cake has? I always think sour cream or yogurt has a great deal to do with that. 
This freezes a dream too!

Rhubarb Poundcake

From Pastry Affair


Ingredients:
2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a loaf pan, then sprinkle with unflavored bread crumbs. Tap out excess.

In a medium frying pan, mix the cut rhubarb with 1/4 cup sugar. Over medium-high heat, cook the rhubarb until it is fork tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes. The rhubarb needs to be able to hold its shape or it will get lost in the cake batter. Cool.


In your mixer, beat together the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Mix in the vanilla bean paste, sour cream, and salt until uniform. Stir in the flour until just incorporated. Gently fold in the rhubarb pieces and any juice remaining in the pan.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


12 comments:

  1. You have the BEST rhubarb recipes, Barbara. The pound cake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good!
    I appreciate how you do really always take advantage of fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks divine! Rhubarb is such a great produce.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    www.reveriesbramblesscribbles.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have rhubarb envy! We don't get much of it here, and it doesn't grow well here either. I'm very curious about rhubarb ice cream now, and this poundcake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing rhubarb poundcake Barbara!
    Look delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. another rhubarb winner. I love straightforward cakes such as this one. You're right, adding sour cream or yogurt makes a world of difference in creating a rich moist crumb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious!I've been seeing a lot of recipes of rhubarb. I think it's time I should try something :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The other week at the farmer's market I saw rhubarb...and did not get it...now I regret...this cake looks great Barbara...I like the little chunks of rhubarb in it. Yes, rhubarb ice cream is one of my favorite homemade ice cream too.
    Hope you are having a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds and looks delicious! I will be looking for rhubarb this weekend! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just spent the last 10 minutes looking at your Rhubarb Pinterest Board ;) I have such an affection for rhubarb also and this pound cake is just the thing to use the stalks that I harvested this week! Thanks for sharing so many inspirational rhubarb recipes, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't believe i've ever seen a rhubarb pound cake, but i'm not surprised that this is where i got my introduction to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are indeed the Queen of all things rhubarb, Barbara:) It doesn't surprise me at all that you have a Rhubarb Pinterest board, lol...

    Your Rhubarb Poundcake looks delectable, thank you so much for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails