5.24.2016

Fresh Apricot Oatmeal Bars


Ah yes.... following closely behind peaches, I've found fresh apricots in my market! Almost as exciting as finding fresh rhubarb...almost. Apricot season doesn't last long, so grab while you can and make these delicious bars. Not the kind of bar you can pick up with your fingers (or do it cautiously with a napkin underneath), more like a piece of pie with a crumb crust. You don't need a thing on top...these are the perfect sweetness and texture. You're going to love this recipe.

Fresh Apricot Oatmeal Bars

From pastry studio


Ingredients:

8 (1 lb, 4 oz) ripe apricots                                      
3 tablespoons sugar, to taste                     
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon water                                                                                               
1/4 vanilla bean

1 1/2 cups flour                         
1 1/4 cups old fashioned oatmeal                                          
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar                                     
6 oz (12 tablespoons) cold butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease an 8” square pan and line with a piece of parchment paper large enough to form an overhang along two sides of the pan.

Cut the apricots into 1/2" slices.  Place them in a saucepan along with the sugar, honey and water.  Split and seed a 1/4 portion of a vanilla bean and add the seeds and the pod.  Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes at a slow simmer or until the apricots just begin to become tender.  Add more sugar to taste as baking brings out the tartness of apricots. Take off the heat and cool.  Remove vanilla pod. (I didn't have a vanilla pod, so used a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.)

Combine the flour, oatmeal, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process until ingredients are combined and the oats are chopped up a bit but not ground completely.

Cut the cold butter into 1/2” pieces and add to the dry ingredients along with the vanilla.  Pulse. The mixture should remain a bit loose but hold together when pinched.  Pour into a bowl and toss with your hands.

Press about 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan to form an even bottom layer.  Bake until the surface is puffed up and looks dry and slightly browned, about 15 – 20 minutes.

Pour the simmered apricots on top and spread to within 1/4” of the edges.  Top with the remaining crumb mixture, making sure to distribute to the edges and the corners to form a border.  Press down gently to secure.


Bake until the crumb topping is lightly browned around the edges, about 20 - 25 minutes.  Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.  Run a thin knife around the edges and gently lift out of the pan using the parchment overhang to assist.  Cut into bars.





16 comments:

  1. I saw some fresh apricots today when I was doing the shopping, but wasn't sure they were sweet and juicy enough to eat. Now I wish I had bought some and I could turn them into this marvelous bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bars look amazing. I can't wait for the apricot season to start here (June).

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    www.reveriesbramblesscribbles.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Barbara ! I love fresh apricots I will save this for my next summer when I have apricots.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so fresh!
    I made date squares today.we love oatmeal type bars.Thanks Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever cooked apricots before. Will have to see if I can pick some up here in Florida before we return to NC. Great recipe Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds amazing. Will be trying this recipe when I have some good fresh apricots. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet these bars are delicious, love the flavor of fresh baked fruit. You are on a roll with all these amazing baked treats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apricots are awesome and this is a great recipe for them. A must try, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been ages since I last savored apricot bars! Love to have some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen apricots yet but, when I do, I'd LOVE to try this. How delicious they look, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Barbara,

    This recipe looks delicious and apricots are one of my favourites. Last season though they were disappointing over here. - they seem to be picked too early and were not sweet. Thanks for your visit to my blog.
    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love apricots and your bars sound so good. I saw apricots in the market yesterday but they were hard as rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look so good, have a great memorial day weekend and great to remember

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara, these apricot bars loos so good! I really enjoy apricots but, it never occurs to me to buy them. It must be because I live in the southeast and don't see them very often. Love the slight sweet but almost tangy taste of the apricots. A perfect ingredient in these bars.

    Happy almost summer to you!
    Velva

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delish! We have peaches at our farmers markets now, but rarely do we get good apricots. Lucky lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. never had a fresh apricot, only dried! this is a delicious way to use them, though, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails