4.19.2015

Cherry Tomato and Goat Cheese Cobbler


A savory cobbler....topped with some delicious biscuits. Serve it for lunch or a side dish with dinner. The only thing I'd change is next time I'd add some shallots or green onions to the tomatoes while they were on the stove. This dish can be cooked and baked in one oven-proof saute pan. (Aside from the biscuit dough.) But I poured the tomatoes with all their juices into the casserole and topped with the biscuits. It just made presentation and serving a tad prettier. 
Note: Biscuits need to be in the freezer a couple hours before baking.

Cherry Tomato and Goat Cheese Cobbler
From Huckleberry by Zoe Nathan




Ingredients:
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold, cubed

3 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk

Filling:
5 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt

4-6 tablespoons goat cheese
Egg wash

Method:
For the biscuits: Combine both flours, the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and with your fingers, work the mixture until the butter pieces are all pea sized. Add the buttermilk and lightly toss to distribute.

Pour the mixture on a clean surface and with the heel of your hands, toss and squeeze the dough it holds together. Do not overwork, you should still see pieces of butter. Press the dough into a disk about 3/4 inches thick. Cut out biscuits, place them in a pan and place in the freezer for two hours.

For the tomatoes: 

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, 2 sprigs of the thyme and salt in an oven proof saute pan. Cover and cook over high heat until the tomatoes begin to soften. Uncover and cook until all the tomatoes burst slightly.
Top with the frozen biscuits. Make an egg wash with an egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. Brush the biscuits with it. Place in oven for 25 minutes. 
Remove from the oven and dollop the goat cheese over any exposed tomatoes. Place back in the oven, increase temperature to 475 and bake another 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Serve at room temperature with some extra sprigs of thyme.



18 comments:

  1. Delicious! That is such an original cobbler.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love this for the dinner with a glass of wine! It looks really really yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, this looks so good. When I think of cobblers I have my head stuck in "sweet" I forget that "savory" is fabulous too. Thanks for sharing.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo delicious I love this cobbler!!
    I bookmarked!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds amazing! The Knight was just saying last night that he'd never had goat cheese. I could make this as a side for dinner, and if he hated it, I could have leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a Savory cobbler Barbara. This looks so good. Also I have been curious about that Huckleberry cookbook. Would love your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like the savory cobbler is a rare bird, but it shouldn't be--this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to remind myself that tomatoes are actually fruits--so why not in a cobbler? splendid idea. And when the big juicy summer tomatoes come into season, so much the better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fact that this is a savory gobbler and not a usual sweet! Cherry tomatoes are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! I love sweet cobblers, but didn't even think of making a savoury one. You've opened my eyes to a great new idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The biscuits look so good on top with the goat cheese in between them! I can't wait to try this. I predict many appearances of this throughout tomato season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another recipe to save when I have cherry tomato plants this summer! What a delicious way to use them! I'll have to sub out another kind of cheese though - maybe ricotta? Wish I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice savory cobbler...I like the tomatoes and the fresh thyme...great meal Barbara!
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely flavor combo. I think the green onion would be good also, but it looks wonderful as is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness, it looks more like a dessert! I do love those puffy biscuits on that creamy tomato-y filling. You did a lovely job with all that wonderful richness
    Hope your daughter's gallery is doing well, I hope to visit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, this recipe. It contains all of my favorite foods! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake looks so good Barbara...I would love a big slice of it to go with my coffee...
    Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This will keep in the fridge all day! Just pop it in the oven when you're about ready to eat. Enjoy!

    Mica
    Customer recommendations for San Antonio Movers information

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails