4.24.2014

Rhubarb Granita


Granitas are such an easy dessert, simple to make and you can make them with just about anything. I've posted several in the past, but can't imagine why I never made one with my favorite...rhubarb. So I gave it a try and loved the results. 
The rhubarb recipes I am making and posting about now are made with hothouse rhubarb. It's a bright dark red, much brighter than lots of garden grown rhubarb one sees in the summer, so you won't always get this fabulous color if your rhubarb isn't a deep red. Doesn't mean it won't taste just as good.

Rhubarb Granita



Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 lb. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Method:

Bring sugar and 2 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high and add rhubarb; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Strain though a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. 
Pour into a 9" x 13" baking pan and place in the freezer. 
Using the tines of a fork, stir the mixture every 30 minutes, scraping edges and breaking up any ice chunks as the mixture freezes, until granita is slushy and frozen, about 3 hours. Scoop into chilled serving glasses and serve with a sprig of mint.

24 comments:

  1. Refreshing and delightful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is such a lovely hot pink color! Perfect spring/summer sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely color. I love to make granitas, especially since you don't need an ice cream maker.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light purple colour! It must be very tasty, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lovely rhubarb granita is on my list to try soon,...Thanks. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea making granita with rhubarb...love the color...so refreshing!
    Thanks for the inspiration Barbara...hope you are having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw the first batch of rhubarb in the market a day or so ago. This would be a worthy thing to make with the first of the year rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look soo great! Perfect refreshing and sweet treat for summer :x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely and refreshing dessert, Barbara! I'll be pinning this for when my rhubarb crop can be picked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea - I think rhubarb is so underrated and granitas are such a lovely dessert - lovely idea!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Granita sounds so easy to make - I don't know why I've never tried. Your rhubarb version is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. That's beautiful and it sounds delicious - and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look beautiful I love rhubarb color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barbara,

    The Rhubarb granita looks delicious and would be nice on a hot day.
    I love the pretty colour of yours - a friend gave me some out of the garden and was more greenish than dark red. I made some nice relish with it.
    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a simple, beautiful, refreshing treat! :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just look at that color, Barbara. Simple and refreshing! We haven't even smelled rhubarb in my neck of the woods, yet, lol...Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I've never thought of using rhubarb for granita. I'd love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the color of this! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love recipes like this that only require a few ingredients. Simple really is often best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lindo color me encanta el ruibarbo me gusta tomar helado todo el año,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the color Barbara. I have never made a granita. Will have to remedy that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barbara, you are definitely the rhubarb champ! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. while i've never made granita, i've eaten it and i like it. this is especially fantastic because of that gorgeous hue!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can count on you for the best rhubarb recipes. That color is a knock-out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails