4.09.2014

Carrot Ricotta Muffins


Are you beginning to think carrots yet? This time of year, I love all the carrot recipes and with Easter on its way I thought I'd post this savory carrot muffin recipe. I think what drew me to the recipe was the thin slice of carrot around the muffin. It makes for a very pretty muffin presentation. And best of all, a tasty, healthy muffin.

Carrot Ricotta Muffins with Thyme and Lemon
From ricotta....che passione




Ingredients:
1 and 2/3 cup 00 flour (see *note)
3-4  carrots
7 1/2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
generous 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
generous 3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
grated rind of  1/2 a lemon
oil
salt

Method:
*Note: 00 flour is usually used for making pasta. If you don't have any, which I didn't, make 00 flour by using 1 part pastry flour to 3 parts all purpose flour and sieve it.

Peel the carrots and cut 8 strips (I cut more as I used the deeper muffin liners) along the length of the carrot. I lightly buttered my liners and wrapped the carrot slices around the bottom of the liner, against the sides. It took two strips each liner for me. Grate the remaining carrots. (By hand or with your processor) You should have more than 2 cups. I bought large carrots because I wanted a fairly wide slice to line the liners, so ended up using 3 largish carrots. You don't need to be too exact here.
In a pan with a little olive oil, cook the grated carrots for a few minutes. Add some salt and set aside to cool.
Mix the flour, the baking powder, Parmesan cheese, thyme, lemon rind and a little salt.
To the cooled carrots, add the ricotta, the milk and the egg. Stir until well blended. Add to the flour until it makes a soft dough. You may add a bit more milk if it seems too stiff. It needs a bit more than 3/4 cup.
Divide the mixture into the carrot-lined muffin liners and bake in a 355 oven for 30 - 35 minutes until puffed and brown on top. They will be moist and it took me the whole 35 minutes, but remember, I used the deeper cupcake liners. Keep an eye on them to make certain they're golden on top and cooked through. 

18 comments:

  1. Very original and surely very scrumptious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, very original and would also be perfect for an Easter buffet.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious and I like the look with the carrot. Very different.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tip on the flour!
    They look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking food with fresh ingredients and this sound perfect for me. And I love your photo.
    Personal Chef To Go

    ReplyDelete
  6. These muffins with ricotta look adorables Barbara!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. the carrot lining adds a really cool touch to this...
    bet the ricotta makes for a great flavor as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of savory muffins...and somehow I do not see it often...carrot and ricotta sounds amazing and yes thyme too...
    Thanks for the recipe Barbara...hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool are those, all dressed in carrots! :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  10. These savoury cheesy muffins would be great with a glass of Chardonnay for the dinner :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. The.Boy requested carrot cake last week, but I might have to make him these muffins instead! What a nice way to start the day or to accompany a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just saw a recipe for a lemon and thyme pound cake and now these delicious muffins. I am in a very lemony mood these days and I just know I'd love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esta perfecta la combinación de tus muffins me encanta el queso fresco muy sabrosa me encanta,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  14. those look just perfect! I love a lemon/thyme combo...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure if Sissy was awake, she'd order these tonight. Instead, I think we'll have them for tea on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these muffins, the ricotta must make their crumb so soft :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Barbara,

    I often make carrot muffins - love them.
    Have never put ricotta in them, so may try this next time - also love the way you have the thin slice of carrot around the base.
    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. i always sprinkle thyme on carrots when i'm roasting them, so i think this is a great combination. very springy! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails