2.17.2014

Lemon Angel Muffins


These have been my daughter's favorite muffins since she was a child. Tart and lemony, they nearly float away they are so light. Serve them warm....they don't even need butter. The beaten egg whites are the trick to these light-as-air muffins; you'll find the batter somewhat stiff before folding in the whites, so fold carefully and with patience. It will take a bit longer than you're accustomed to, but oh the results! I found the recipe back in the 60's in a Junior League cookbook. Which one, I've long forgotten. I've made them many times in mini muffin form as well, very successfully.

Lemon Angel Muffins



Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated, room temperature
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel

Method:

Cream butter and sugar until smooth and add egg yolks. Beat until light. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add alternately with the lemon juice. Fold in grated peel. Fold in beaten egg whites. (do not beat them to stiff peaks) Fill greased and floured muffin tins. Bake 375 for 20 minutes.








22 comments:

  1. What a nice recipe. I am anxious to taste them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely - there is something about lemon in muffins - especially this time of year. It just brightens things up considerably!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fluffy muffins look heavenly!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am partial to lemony tastes. This look perfect Barbara. Don't you love all of those old Junior League cookbooks. I have several.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do seem light and airy:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemony cakes are a particular favorite of mine, and Junior League and church social cookbooks are remarkable resources. I think there are whole collections of this stuff out there these days. A few of my absolute go to recipes come from these treasures. Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get enough of lemon treats. These muffins look so light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look great I can see why they would be a fav

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. I need to try these...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love lemony sweet treats! These look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Starting the day with a fresh cup of coffee and these lovely muffins would be just about perfect. They look so light and tender.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look delightfully light and airy! And, I love lemon. What a great keeper of a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all things lemon! These look like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tart and lemony is just what I like. I love anything with lemons.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sound of these muffins are just amazing...I love the is lemony and light...yum!
    Thanks for the recipe Barbara :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love citrus flavor in cakes and these muffins look very fluffy and aromatic Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning Barbara! So nice to see you! Thank you for coming by to visit; everyone is so busy these days that it's hard to get around to blogs, but how kind of you to leave a message. Those muffins look outstanding, and lemon goes with so many things. It reminds me of spring, and WE ARE READY for it here!

    Peace and beauty to you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'd separate egg whites for these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why your daughter has loved these forever. lemony, and heavenly light!
    thanks for sharing this family favorite.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails