11.29.2011

Chocolate Sparklers for Christmas


You know how much I love to visit Pastry Studio. One fantastic recipe after another. This particular one doesn't need to be for the holidays, but as it turns out, I've offered to bring a cookie tray to our Garden Club Christmas party. I think it's a super idea that we each bring food to this event and then pay a small sum for drinks. Another holiday party I usually attend is my Antique Club's annual celebration. This year, they are charging $60 per person! Yes, it's being catered and this includes food and drink, but don't you agree that's a little over the top? I'm skipping that one, much as I love the women in that group.

So I've been having fun making all sorts of new cookies the past month for the Garden Club do.  These "sparklers" don't have a deep, dark chocolate flavor like a lot of Christmas cookies, but are elegant and subdued. They'll be a super addition to the cookie tray and the raw sugar on the outside adds that all important sparkle. I think you'll find them more in the Christmas cookie spirit by dipping them in red sugar. I make them that way often.


Chocolate Sparklers

Adapted from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme and Dorie Greenspan by Pastry Studio





Makes about 30 cookies 

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
10 oz (2 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla 
1 large egg yolk
raw sugar, for coating

Method:

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt together. 

Beat the butter on medium speed to soften. Gradually add sugar and continue mixing, until the mixture is smooth and creamy, but not airy. Add vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go to ensure thorough mixing. Turn down the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing just until ingredients are just about blended. Remove the bowl from the mixer and finish mixing with a rubber spatula to avoid overmixing. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a log about 1 1/2” thick and 7 1/2” long. Wrap the logs in plastic and chill for 1 to 2 hours. 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. 
Whisk the egg yolk with one teaspoon of water. Place a piece of parchment or wax paper on a work surface. Spread out a good handful of raw sugar on it. Working with one cookie log at a time, unwrap and brush lightly with egg wash. Roll each log in the sugar, pressing gently. 




Use a sharp thin knife to slice each log into cookies about 1/2” thick. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, rotating the pans front to back and top to bottom at the midway mark, until the cookies are just firm to the touch. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Repeat with second log.

33 comments:

  1. They look like a very useful cookie! I agree with you $60/head is quite a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great texture. Those cookies look beautiful and really irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them for the name alone! And for $60 I better be getting filet mignon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I might have to double it and take it to the Sustainer-Provisional cookie swap. I've been trying to find something I'm sure no one else will make...

    We aren't even having heavy hors d'oeuvres at the JLC holiday (1-5-12) party to keep the price down. It's $35 per person or $65 per couple. We added meatballs to the menu (to the chagrin of the facility's staffer on our board) to keep the men from grumbling, but we're also passing the word to eat before you come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chocolate sparklers look delicious. I'll bet you could actually refrigerate them longer or, maybe freeze the dough? I love having that sort of option especially around the holidays.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are truly pretty..

    Coming back when I start my baking..

    ReplyDelete
  7. These would really add that something special to the holiday cookie tray Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really lovely, Barbara. Their soft chocolate flavor sounds wonderful and that pretty ring of sparkle makes them truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unless the food is something really exceptional, $60 is a lot. Personally I'd rather hide under the covers and eat all these cookies ;)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never pass up a new chocolate cookie---the texture inside these looks so dense and rich. Slice and bake cookies are hands down my favorite method, and I've never used the raw sugar coating, it adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and elegant, just like everything you make, Barbara! I'm adding these to my holiday cookie list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look like perfection...I want a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious and elegant, I love the chocolate and the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chocolate, sparkles, does it get any better??? Slice and Bake cookies are surely the way to go. I'm so saving this. I may just bake them up for a crafty Christmas Party I'm going to next week!

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies are beautiful and the name, so cheery. Too bad that you'll miss the Antique Club party. That sounds really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! I do like cookies with a bit of bling :) Have fun at the party Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look very special and chocolate is my all time classic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are lovely! I bought some silver sanding sugar this year--I bet it would look great on these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Dutch processed cacao I use is usually very DARK...
    I want to bake some those cookies for the holiday too. They are simple and tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ces petits biscuits sont magnifiques et doivent être délicieux.
    Je t'en prends un pour goûter.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sparklers should make a pretty and tasty addition to a holiday cookie assortment---thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Yes, $60pp is a little aggressive for a catered event.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been thinking cookies lately too. I have a cookie party coming up, and I need some good, new ideas. The sparkly sugar edges on these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look lovely! I do a similar thing with ginger that has raw sugar, I think I'll make a plate with both of them on it for my neighborhood Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! These look great, like a good addition to any cookie tray or just cookies I might make for friends and neighbors. Some desserts leave you feeling super full, but I think these would be less heavy.

    Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm not sure which makes me happier, the presence of cinnamon or the raw sugar along the outside. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look like they'd freeze really well- perfect for my plan to do as much as I can ahead of the hustle-bustle of the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so simple yet you've jazzed them right up with the rim of raw sugar. I love that. :-) I bet they catch the light of glimmering candles beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  28. you can't go wrong with a name like that... charming with the sparkles. I am a huge fan of demerara sugar both for look and taste... it has so much personality! I am with you on the antique club charge... whoa! Seems like they are a little greedy, yes? Charging restaurant prices sort of takes the fun out of it. I love the pot luck idea myself... fun to share.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness- these look just beautiful. Do you think they'd work as part of ice cream sandwiches...?

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh these are so pretty and festive. i love the sparkly outside.

    i got my aprons, thank you! i love them, as does my daughter. we now get to wear cute christmas aprons when we cook together :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I've made these and they were delicious! And so pretty and festive too with the sparkly sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those cookies look so appetizing, wonderful & apart!! Yumm!

    Festive cookies that rock!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails