7.06.2014

Rhubarb Cobbler



I'm loving all the rhubarb recipes being posted this time of year! They sure bring back memories of childhood summers for me. I remember my mother's rhubarb patch in the back yard; I can even picture exactly where it was and often wonder if it's still there after all these years. Her favorite way to serve it was stewed, which we'd have for our dessert with lunch. And her pies were divine, pure rhubarb, no additions. I do make her pie once in a while, but must admit I have more fun making crisps and scones, or trying some of the other more creative rhubarb desserts out there. 
This cobbler recipe was a bit unusual as cobblers most often have a biscuit type dough on top with the fruit underneath. This recipe is reversed: there's a cake-like batter on the bottom with the fruit pressed into the top. Traditional cobbler or not, this is a marvelous treat for dessert. Serve plain, with cream on the side or a scoop of ice cream.

Rhubarb Cobbler

From Saveur. January, 2007




Ingredients:
3 cups chopped rhubarb
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. shortening

Method:
Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb and brown sugar, mix well, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine 3 tbsp. of the melted butter, eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, vanilla, and sugar. Beat with a heavy whisk until a smooth batter is formed.

Grease a 9" × 11" pan with shortening. Pour in the batter. Spread rhubarb over batter and smooth it down so that the top is even. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp. butter. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm.

18 comments:

  1. That's how I remember rhubarb--unadulterated! Most recipes I see now add strawberries.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly! Rhubarb cobblers are so delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories of my mother's rhubarb patch behind the house. Her specialty was a strawberry-rhubarb deep dish pie. A rhubarb cobbler sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good cobbler, Barbara especially those that bring back cherished memories. Thanks so much for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cobblers. You get all the benefits of pie without having to make the crust. :) This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't baked or had a cobbler in a long while...your rhubarb cobbler looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right rhubarb does bring back childhood memories - my Grandmother had lots growing in her garden - I adore rhubarb cobblers!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look amazing and delicious Barbara!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cobbler Barbara and I love that you used two different sugars and the vanilla.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother in law made rhubarb cobbler all the time! I'll have to make this in her memory...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cobblers and it is very unfortunate that we don't have rhubarb in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't made cobbler forever...I bet rhubarb tasted fantastic with the soft, biscuit dough!

    ela h.
    Gray Apron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, Its almost half summer gone and I have still not made even one cobbler!! This looks so good and buttery!
    Ami || NaiveCookCooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. you should tweak this and put it in your upcoming rhubarb cookbook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been ages since I've made a cobbler too. This one looks so delicious and will be pinned to my rhubarb board immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just had some last night, I love this delicious looking recipe :D
    Way better than store-bought could ever be!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not made cobbler for a while and this rhubarb one sounds delicious Barbara.
    Hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made your delectable rhubarb cobbler & it was so appetizing & just perfect served with hot pouring custard, of course! 😝

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails