6.16.2014

Plum Crunch


Summer's here and along with it, come recipes for grunts and slumps as well as cobblers, crisps, crackles, roly poly, buckles, bettys and dumplings! I love every single one, too. 

Aside from my mother's, Ina's recipes really are the best. I made this plum crunch last year and never posted it; I can't imagine why as it was wonderful. Sometimes recipes get lost in files and it's always fun to discover one everyone really liked. 

(I'm skipping Ina First Friday in July because I'm joining Louise's online Picnic Game, so consider this my July Ina offering!)

Plum Crunch
2008, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics



Ingredients:
3 pounds Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered 
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed 
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
6 tablespoons creme de cassis liqueur 
For the topping 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
1 cup oatmeal 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced 

Vanilla ice cream, for serving 

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

For the fruit, in a large bowl, combine the plums, brown sugar, flour, and cassis. Pour the mixture into a 12 by 8-inch shallow baking dish. 

For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, walnuts, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the plum mixture. 


Bake the plum crunch for 40 to 45 minutes, until the plums are bubbling and the top is browned. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream. 




27 comments:

  1. A delectable dessert! This plum crunch pairs perfectly well with ice cream.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yum! I wonder why I'm always drawn to the sweet things you post most? I better think about that one :)))
    Have a wonderful week Barbara!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite kind of dessert Barbara! Looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Barbara! I love plums look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks wonderful love the addition of the liquor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plums with cassis sound like a fabulous combination Barbara. The scoop of ice cream finish it beautifully.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a good crunch topping the other day. This one sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Ina's recipes are awesome. This one sounds so tasty!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crunch and ice cream...the perfect combo for a heavenly summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fruits and ice cream are the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so good :)

    http://ladyparisienne.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Barbara!

    Ina is one of my favorite recipe authors too. I don't recall my mother ever making any kind of grunt, slump or even pie for that matter!

    I have grown to love them through the years though and a Plum Crunch sounds mighty good about now. A dollop of ice cream would just send me over the top, lol...

    Thanks so much for sharing, Barbara. I am THRILLED you will be joining us at the Picnic again this year. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Barbara!
      I'm am so HAPPY that it's Picnic Game time again! Boy does time fly!!! It's been quite the year:)

      Unfortunately, the letter C has already been "spoken" for. I do hope you will be choosing another letter or maybe could revise the name of the one you had in mind. Just let me know what you decide in the comments section of my post. It's going to be so much FUN! Barbara...

      Delete
    2. Every time I come here I just want to jump into that Plum Crunch, lol...Yes, Barbara, the Letter F is just perfect for anything that has to do with Fun! It's yours!!! I'm soooo happy you will be "playing."

      Delete
  13. I've made this one by Ina before too! And you are right about her recipes, Barbara...

    ela h.
    Gray Apron

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar recipe---but no creme de cassis in it. Genius! But that's Ina for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never gone wrong with Ina's recipes! That crunchy, nutty topping looks delicious with the plums. I bet it would be great with peaches too--peaches are taking over around here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This plum crunch looks scrumptious, Barbara. I have always liked the Barefoot Contessa. I can see why you are such a good cook now after hearing that your mother was one also.

    I hope you are enjoying the lazy June days.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pretty sure my stomach just audibly growled. What a great after dinner treat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ina is wonderful! your crunch looks SO delicious
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree about Ina's recipes. I've never had one of them disappoint me. Plum crunch would be terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delicious combination of flavours :D
    That crunchy topping is amazing!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the cookbook, so all I need are the plums.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fantastic topping! plums are one of my favorite fruits for a crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one of my Ina favorites...

    We'll miss you on Ina Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I must go to the farmers market and pick up some plumb, and then make this!

    Jasmine
    Great data for Fishing Lodge Alaska Information

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails