2.21.2014

Curried Lentil and Rice Loaves


Whoa! Brace yourselves....a healthy recipe coming your way today! I saw this in Martha Stewart Living magazine and tore it out. It's a nice side dish, good flavor, nicely flavored with curry and the only complaint I had was it was just a little bit dry. Have you made it? Would love to hear about your results. Perhaps I was just expecting this to be more like a moist meatloaf and it's supposed to be on the dry side. What do you think?

Curried Lentil and Rice Loaves
From 
Martha Stewart Living, September 2013




Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for loaf pans 
2/3 cup white rice, preferably short-grain 
2/3 cup green lentils, picked over and rinsed 
1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, finely chopped (about 2 cups) 
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder 
2 cups water 
1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed 
2 medium carrots, grated (about 1 cup lightly packed) 
3/4 cup tomato puree 
1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped 
2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt 
2 large eggs, lightly beaten 

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 mini loaf pans or 1 standard loaf pan with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang; brush with oil. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, lentils, onion, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and toasted, about 3 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and lentils and rice are al dente, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.


Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to pans; bake until tops are golden brown and firm, about 1 hour. Let cool at least 10 minutes.




16 comments:

  1. Wholesome and comforting! Those loaves are wonderful. A great idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colorful meatloaf and would make a great vegetarian meal with a salad. I've never made anything like it, but I would think it should be a tad on the dry side to hold together when you sliced it. It must be very pretty sliced with the different color beans with the orange carrots and white rice.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Barbara, This is an interesting loaf and one which I would enjoy making and eating, as it has the ingredients which I use quite a lot. I should imagine that the lentils and the rice absorbs all the liquid, and as Sam mentioned, if the loaf had too much liquid then it would be difficult to slice. I wonder if maybe making a curry sauce, to pour over the loaf, would help it to give the loaf more moisture.
    I look forward to trying it.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't made it..it does sound interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think look lovely!!! I love loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Barbara, I bet these flavors are delicious. I love it. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for curry - it looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks interesting would love to try

    ReplyDelete
  9. We eat lots of lentils and love them! These loaves look awesome, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm I've never tried a lentil loaf but now I suppose I'll have to! At least, so we can test the "dry" hypothesis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the loaf looks very interesting. I do love curry. We have vegetarian friends coming to visit this summer and this would be a great option.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this sort of thing is very popular among vegetarians, but I've never tried one. If you used some kind of moistening agent, it might not stick together as well. I'm not sure.
    *kisses* H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great concept, A healthy veggie-grain loaf with fine ingredients---I wonder if adding plain non-fat yogurt to the mixture would make it moister?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried, but I'd like to. It sounds great! I wonder how this would freeze for future meals?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so healthy and such a great idea! Perhaps you could increase the liquids a little bit so as to make it more moist!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails