9.19.2016

Chunky Apple Walnut Snack Cake


I've made a lot of apple cakes over the years, but this one is quite unlike any I've ever baked. Cathy says her Mom got the recipe from a woman she used to work with in downtown Los Angeles over fifty years ago . Nobody seems to know any more history about it than that. Oh, and that it was her dad's favorite, now hers. 
You mix it all by hand....the batter is quite thick, so it takes some muscle. I didn't change much, but made it in a slightly smaller pan (Looked everywhere for my 9 by 13 but since I moved, I've stuck it someplace and now can't find it; I used an 8 by 11), so my slices are a bit higher than Cathy's, which means I also had to bake mine about 10 minutes longer. I also used the Maida Heatter method of greasing the pan....butter, then sprinkled with dry bread crumbs. Also, I think there is too much salt, so cut back on that a bit if you want. 
It has a lovely crunchy top and I found this to be quite a sweet cake, so no frosting needed, but it definitely needs a dollop of whipped cream on top. When you bite into it, you get a mouthful of chunky apples, crunchy walnuts and a lovely hit of cinnamon. Yum!

Note: Leave the apples chunky; it you slice too thin, the cake will be wet. I think Cathy has a photo of the size the apples should be cut on her blog. I peeled, cut in quarters, seeded and then sliced into chunks. Also, my Granny Smith apples were quite big so I only needed 5 to get 4 cups. Another nice thing about this cake: you can cut the recipe and make it in any size pan you like. 9 by 13 makes a lot of cake.

Apple Walnut Snack Cake
From Cathy at Noble Pig



Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2  large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 cups (6-8 apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered and diced coarsely
1 cup chopped walnuts


Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by spraying it with cooking spray. (See above for the method I always use)
In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl combine eggs, oil and vanilla; add this to the sugar-flour mixture in the large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff (do not use mixer). 
Add the apples and walnuts. Pour into baking pan and cook for 50-60 minutes or until the middle springs back when touched. 
Serve with whipped cream. Even better the  next day!



11 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic..apple desserts are usually the best for me:)
    Wonder where your pan is:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly! That is such a wonderful end of summer dessert.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heated Apples, Walnut, Whip cream + dropping the name Los Angeles in a recipe? Done and done. I'm in! Holy cow this is going to be a hit with my boys, Ms. B! Seriously, I'm making the moment SoCal turns the corner on Fall and I can even think about a heated kitchen (still in the 90's solid all week!). Oh, btdubs, I LOVED what you wrote over in my corner of the world at FatScribe. If heaven permits, I would make it a bucket list item to finally get to meet you in person on the East Coast my friend over a nice cuppa. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so tempting with all the autumnal ingredients..delicious and moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fall is almost here, and that means it's time for apple cake! i like the looks of this one, and your description of it is enough to convince me to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks great Barbara...and so moist with the chunky apples...perfect for the season.
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a perfect fall treat! That crunchy top looks great. I'd love a piece with whipped cream, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect cake for Fall. My Dad also loved apple cakes. I need to search for my Mom's recipe, but in the meantime I think I will make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this kind of cake - simple and no frosting necessary but love the idea of whipped cream. I've made a similar recipe by Joanne Chang and loved how the top puffs up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're on the same page Barbara, these look luscious --- I've got apples coming out of my ears and I need lots of ways to use them up, this will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my this looks delicious Barbara, I love simple cakes like this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails