1.15.2016

Jam Bars


I've been watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix and it's put me in the mood to make some jam bars. I always think of them as being a British invention, but mainly, a treat for kids and an easy carry-along to a picnic. Simple to make and in no time at all you have a lovely little bar everyone will love. Use your homemade or a good quality jam (I used raspberry here), as it makes or breaks these bars. You'll probably have every ingredient needed in your pantry; they'll be done in 40 minutes.  
I really can't credit anyone with this recipe as it's pretty basic and you can find some version of this easily online, from Martha Stewart to various blogs.

Jam Bars



Ingredients:
1 cup flour
pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup oats (don't use instant)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
4 or 5 large spoonfuls of your favorite jam

Method:

Preheat over to 350. Line your 8 inch square baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang for easy removal.
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in the almond extract.
In another bowl, mix the flours, baking soda and salt. Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture. By hand, stir in the oats and almonds.

Save about half a cup or so of this mixture for the topping and set aside. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan. (I used my hands) Spread the jam over the top, leaving 1/2 an inch or so on all sides. Sprinkle the reserved mixture on top of the jam.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and the jam is bubbly. Cool completely in the pan and then remove and cut into squares.

13 comments:

  1. I love jam bars ..squares etc..don't you LOVE that show?
    While we were in Fl..we watched every one we could get our hands on w/ Netflix..here we don't get it..but I just loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore a good jam bar! These look absolutely delicious, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful, Barbara! I could eat these for breakfast and be a happy gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to ask the Knight if he might like these...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara, Oh I love these bars, I think right now I have a jar of apricot jam, into the kitchen I go. Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect with a cup of tea and a good book.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jam Bars! I just took homemade Strawberry Jan from the freezer, Barbara. Jan Bars woukd be just perfect as soon as it defrosts! Seriously, who can say no to jam bars, not I that's for sure. In the mean time, I'll just "grab" one of yours, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  8. going by the looks, it s more than tasty

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the great british baking show! they're so nice to each other, it's refreshing! great bars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Guess I'd have to try this with blackberry jam. The show is great to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to check this show out! In the meantime, I will have to try these little cuties! My son would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love a crumb topping, and almond extract! These sound delicious. Now, I need to add the show to my Netflix list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't seen that show. Will have to look for it. These bars sound wonderful Barbara. Hope you are keeping warm. It is cold in northern Florida.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails