8.27.2015

Very Berry Cherry Clafoutis


My daughter was home for a couple weeks which meant I had some things in my fridge after she left that I don't normally eat: mainly assorted berries and milk. She always takes home the leftover coconut bread (her favorite, toasted) and any remaining coffee beans (I don't drink coffee), so that leaves berries and milk in my fridge. I'm a citrus person in the morning and I never drink milk unless there are pb cookies in the house, which is like never. Unfortunately.

Staring in the fridge at the leftover berries and milk, 
I remembered this recipe as it's an unusual clafoutis recipe: rather than using only cherries (the traditional way with a clafoutis), you can use berries of your choice to mix it up. Perfect for my leftovers. I even had a few black cherries in the fridge so used those, which kind of makes this a legitimate clafoutis.

Really, is there anything simpler than a clafoutis recipe? Rather like a popover batter. So light and airy. And in this one, the berries all pop to the surface. Oh yeah.


Mixed Berry Cherry Clafoutis
From Noble Pig


Ingredients:
2 cups mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries and blueberries here)
2 cups whole cherries, pits removed
2-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup superfine sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain white flour
Powdered sugar to dust

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place eight-1 cup capacity strong heat proof dishes onto a baking sheet and into the oven to preheat. 
Note: As you can see, I made a small casserole along with some individual ramekins. (Not shown, but they used up the rest of the batter and berries.)

Remove eight tablespoons of the superfine sugar from the 1 cup of sugar and set aside.

Whisk together the milk, the remaining sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt and flour. Remove the heated dishes from the oven and divide the cherries and berries evenly between them. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar, one tablespoon per dish. Then ladle the batter over the berries evenly.

Place back in the oven (still on the baking sheet) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the center is no longer runny and dishes are puffed up and golden brown. Watch carefully as I baked two sizes and one was ready sooner. Plus, the larger casserole took longer than 35  minutes. 

Dust with powdered sugar.

15 comments:

  1. A fantastic clafoutis! So irresistible and marvelously fruity.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a better way to enjoy leftover berries. Absolutely delightful! I am loving the idea of toasted coconut bread. Is that a quick bread like banana bread or more like bread?

    Happy almost fall!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect way to use up leftover milk and berries. I love that you've made the clafoutis in a rectangle pan rather than a round one. So pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. Clafoutis are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dessert, Barbara! I have a lot of cherries and think clafoutis might just be what they need to be in. Yes, it's easy to make with great results! Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..this berry clafoutis looks absolutely irresistible, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kudos to you for finding a delicious way to use up those leftovers! not only have i never made a clafoutis, i've never tasted one either! my loss, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love clafoutis are the most delicious desserts with fruits!
    This look delicious Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two things that most people find to be so simple to make, crepes and clafoutis, make me nervous. The first time I made clafoutis, it didn't work out quite right and now I fear it. I need more practice! This one sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to stop saying I won't try the cherry recipes. I discovered that I like dried cherries, so it seems that I only dislike canned and candied cherries...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing better than a clafoutis! Can't get enough of them & this one looks heavenly, Barbara. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea to use up extra berries! Yours looks beautifully puffed and delicious, Barbara. I'm so happy to have two small grandsons that come to visit frequently so I have an excuse to make PB cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty dessert. I've never made - or even eaten - a clafoutis. Yours looks wonderful and makes me think I should change my ways!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a while since I made a clafouti. Must remedy that. Yours looks beautiful Barbara. Glad you had a great time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a wonderful way to use up left over berries. Yours looks perfectly baked.......

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails