8.17.2015

Marion Cunningham's Buttermilk Barley Biscuits


I hope you never tire of my posting gems from The Breakfast Book. I sure love making them! Honestly, they are spot on every time, never a miss.
Here we have a biscuit made with barley flour, which has a rich nutty taste and is a powerhouse of nutrition. Serve these biscuits warm with some cream cheese and your favorite homemade jam. For breakfast, for a snack, for tea....any time. You can freeze them too. They're flatter than most biscuits (you don't need to slice them open, just slather cream cheese and jam on top), but are amazingly flavorful and so good for you. No wonder all of Marion Cunningham's recipes are treasures!


Buttermilk Barley Biscuits
From The Breakfast Book



Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups barley flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter

Method:
Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk and beat until smooth. Then add the melted butter. Blend well.

Dust a board with flour and roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a 2 or 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter and place on the parchment paper. They don't rise much, so you can place them close together. Prick each with a fork three times. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm with cream cheese and your favorite jam.


13 comments:

  1. A wonderful combination. Those biscuits look delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the use of buckwheat here. These biscuits look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good! If buckwheat is sarrasin..I have some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great biscuits, and I now have the cookbook. Ms Cunningham was great and so is this little cookbook of hers. Can't wait to try some recipes. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used the Breakfast Book for decades and never had a failure. These look delicious. Are buckwheat and barley the same? I'll check that out.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, what a unique batch of biscuits! these would be an extra hearty (and welcome!) start to the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marion Cunningham is a real treasure and so are these biscuits. I love the idea of cream cheese on them.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. No such thing as too many breakfast or biscuit recipes! Love that these have some whole grain flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these biscuits Barbara!Look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I will make these. Have the barley flour ready to go. Nathalie Dupree is staying in our guest cottage right now. I have been hesitant to invade her space. Had no idea that she was our renter until I saw her! What should I do? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look like the perfect thing to take to work for a quick desk top breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never baked with barley flour but want to try it! I'm putting it on my list. These biscuits look moist and delicious, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used barley flour like that -- actually only used barley to rot to make an ancient salty condiment sort of like soy. I should try it. Nice to change up my grains from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails