1.16.2012

Lentils Like Baked Beans


Have you heard about this recipe? Take my advice and don't wait for summertime to make this wonderful side dish, even though we always think of baked beans as a picnic dish. These lentils would be perfect with a pork chop, although I had it next to a piece of chicken. I couldn't stop eating it. Addictive. Would you believe later that night I was spooning it out of the fridge cold? 


Some bench notes from the original recipe: when....and notice I said when, not if....you make it, rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. And use red lentils. I happened to have some thick cut bacon and used that, so did not add the extra oil that's on the ingredient list. The only thing I changed in the original recipe (why bother messing with perfection?) was taking the lid off the baking dish the last 15 minutes so the liquid would cook off before it became mush. It took an additional 5 or 10 minutes. This will all depend on your oven. Check after about 40 minutes and if you still see a lot of fluid, remove the top and bake until it's nearly gone. I also used some toasted whole wheat naan for serving.


Lentils Like Baked Beans

From The Art of Living According to Joe Beef via Seven Spoons
 


Ingredients:


4 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
4 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons neutral oil
2 tablespoons Colman's mustard powder
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon ground pepper, plus more as needed
1 bay leaf
Salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350°F 

In oven proof pot with lid, fry bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until softened. Then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.  

Add the lentils, water, ketchup, maple syrup, oil, mustard, vinegar, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, place in oven, and bake for 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender.

Taste and correct the seasoning with salt, pepper, maple syrup, and vinegar. Serve hot now or later. Serves 4.


42 comments:

  1. I love lentils -- mostly because I like fresh beans much better than canned and they're the only kind you don't have to soak ahead. But I've never found red. I' promise I'll look harder and I promise I'll make this -- you sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lentils. This way of preparing them is wonderful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to like lentils. So, I will try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY GOODNESS. Beans are already GOOD for you, but the use of RED LENTILS here ups the anty on this PICNIC FAVORITE! Oh, don't you just love that flavor? I can almost taste it, and in doing so, I can also see and taste the potato salad next to it and hear the sound of my mommy calling us all back from the park playground. WHOAH, who knew that food would take us back to special moments that are lost but come back for a taste of heaven on earth. Thank you dearest. And thank YOU for coming to visit me. HAPPY LOVE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always kind of wondered why baked beans are such a summer food since they're so hearty and filling. I say, let's make them a winter tradition! These sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious dear Barbara, I love lentils!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try these. Maybe Saturday? Luckily, the Knight's family does baked beans year 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't wait for summer for those, they look delicious. Nice and hearty for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think these need to go beside anything--they sound delicious enough to stand on their own. Maybe a side salad? I'm just making a grocery list and will add dry mustard. I have the rest!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I am making this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun idea. That's what food is all about, inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would be spooning it out of the fridge too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lentils (especially red ones) are a kitchen staple here. We love baked beans, too, so this sounds like a winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to prepare lentils! Love that sweet, vinegary taste of baked beans with bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a plan to me...bacon and onion and beans....mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, this sounds hearty and healthy and tangy and delicious! I'll try anything with bacon. :)

    Happy New Year to you! Looking forward to another year of good eats with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this and its made in the oven clever

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barbara, this is a great idea and I have a bag of red lentils that I need to use too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just happen to have a bag of red lentils on the shelf that have been waiting for a recipe. Thanks for the tip about rinsing Barbara. Might not have done that otherwise.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love baked beans and love lentils so this sounds awesome! I'm putting it on the menu now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I forgot to tell you! Tried your rolls this weekend--results posted Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is genius! And even though I'm trying to go meatless once in a while, I'm keeping the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I rarely eat lentils, but if they taste like baked beans I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh i'm totally intrigued! i love baked beans, and don't cook with lentils near enough. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love lentils too and just recently found the red ones in the Mediterranean section of the ethnic food aisle. I can't wait to try this, Barbara. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what an interesting recipe. I always cook red lentils the Indian way (as a sort of curry), but I'll definitely try it this way next time! I've had a lovely time catching up on all your previous posts now that things are calming down here :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea to use lentil instead of beans...as in baked beans...looks yummie!
    Have a great week Barbara :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Barbara,

    This lentil dish looks delicious and so healthy and good for you.
    Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful week

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love the seasoning components here, and it's a great idea all around. whenever the first ingredient is bacon, you know you're in for a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't you think it's funny that such a richly flavored dish becomes a summertime favorite. It seems so much more suited to winter cold. Probably the toughest thing about it is the hours that it cooks to make a good baked bean... this solves that problem, doesn't it? I love that red lentils are so fast to make. This is a definite try for me, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Merhaba, ellerinize sağlık,sevgilerrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a great dish to try. I'm trying to work more legumes into our diet and this certainly would be a great addition. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like a terrific side dish, I like the bacon and the maple syrup here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a sort of a thing for red lentils. I like the idea of treating them like baked beans. I hadn't heard about this, but now I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love red lentils, and this is such a clever way to cook them, southern picnic style! But much more nutritious (higher protein I think) than navy beans. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoy baked beans but eat lentils more often. This is a new twist on using lentils. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  37. This sounds delicious! What a yummy meal

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am a big fan of lentils. So this dish is right in my comfort zone.

    By the way, Sugarcane in Miami is well worth the drive from anywhere. Great place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yum, I'm so happy to have a new recipe for lentils. I make the few recipes I have over and over and now you have given me a new one to try! It looks fantastic, Barbara. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This looks so good Barbara. I bet it smells so good while it's cooking too.
    I hope your Winter is going great and that life is good. It finally snowed here today and is our first snow of the season. So strange to have had bare ground for so long. Now the shovels come out!
    hugs from me...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails