1.03.2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Tea Cakes


Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a marvelous holiday season and I wish each of you a happy and healthy  2012. Once I get unpacked and organized, I'll be checking in with you in the next few days to see what you've been up to. In the meantime, I wanted to share a recipe I've had in my draft folder since before Christmas and never had time to post. Enjoy!

When I saw this recipe on El's blog
Fresh, I thought what fun it would be to serve these mini bundt cakes for dessert. Fully expecting them to be pound cake density, imagine my surprise to find them light as air. Perfect for tea. Not that we didn't eat them for dessert anyway, but I fully intend to serve them at my next Garden Club meeting with tea and coffee. Unfortunately, the only chocolate chips I had in the house were left-over bittersweet féves
The result really wasn't delicate enough for such a light cake and I'll definitely buy the mini bittersweet chips next time. Still, I'm not complaining. :) They were gone in a flash!

Coconut Chocolate Chip Tea Cakes

From Fresh New England



Ingredients:
125 g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar 
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. coconut extract (not required but good)
1/2 cup (4 oz) milk
1 1/3 cups flour, sifted 
2 teaspoons baking powder
Scant 1 cup shredded coconut 
Scant 1 cup good quality mini bittersweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar, for dusting

Method:
Butter and flour mini-bundt pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In bowl of stand mixer using a paddle attachment, beat butter for about 30 seconds. Add 
sugar and beat until pale, light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and beat just until mixed in. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add extracts (if you're not using coconut extract, double the amount of vanilla extract) and milk and mix until just blended. Add the flour and mix slightly. Add coconut and chocolate and mix until just blended.

Spoon batter into pan until each opening is half full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until inserted 
toothpick comes out clean. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.


27 comments:

  1. I hope you had a delightful, WARM holiday?

    Those are simply fabulous. I'm going to make some this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look divine!
    Happy New Years to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They sound delish and look even better! I need to pick up some of these little pans. Hope your holidays were great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What heavenly cakes! Perfect with a good cup of tea.

    Happy New Year!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these sound delightful..Chocolate and coconut..Like a chocolate dipped macaroon.(not macaron)..Thank you.. and light as air? perfect..I have the mini molds..so they are in our future.Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know I need mini bundt pans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So dainty! Your gardening club will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mini-bundt pans don't get used nearly enough. I, too, see these in our future!!

    I made a nice tomato soup from Mary's (One Perfect Bite) blog and accompanied it by your Mustard Puffs for lunch today. I'll be posting it soon!

    Welcome back and happy new year.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw a mini bundt pan and passed on it, thinking it was an extravagance...I'm going back to get it. These look so elegant and yummy. Coconut and chocolate is one of my all time favorite combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cakes! Fabulous combination of flavors, they look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut and chocolate chips? All wrapped up in a mini-bundt? Heavenly! Happy New Year, Barbara! Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They even look light and delicate, Barbara. :-) What pretty little cakes, perfect for your Garden shindig. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What darling little cakes! Love the coconut and chocolate combination! Hope you had a wonderful holiday - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful cakes!

    Happy New year, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These little cakes look amazing. If I passed on the tea, and ate a few with a really good cup of coffee, that
    would be okay too, right?

    Happy New Year to you! I am looking forward to all your posts in 2012.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coconut AND chocolate? Ooooh, you're a naughty one, Barbara. Those look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These do look delicious! Hope that you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so pretty!
    I love El's site, too - and you are inspirational, now, to me - to do the same!
    Happy 2012, Barbara
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that shape. I actually have a little wisp of pan envy about them... hmmm! Kind of like my irrational desire to get a candela mold... which I am sure I would use once (beeswax????)... but the shape is so adorable.

    At the moment, I need to stop getting more things... NYears resolution... divest!!!!
    Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are lovely!

    I've been having coconut cravings lately. These sound yummy. Coconut, dark chocolate. . . why they're practically a health food, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year, to you and your family Barbara. Hope that you are enjoying the holidays.
    The little Tea cakes look so good and I want to reach in and help myself to one.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. the flavors here are great, obviously, but i love the little shape most of all--too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, don't these little cakes look delicious! Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's always something yummy over here Barbara. I swear, if I tried this many recipes I would waddle :)
    I have finally got my sweet tooth calmed down from the holidays, but when I feel like I can, I would love to try these because I got new bundt pan for Christmas. I will try anything with coconut in them!
    I hope you had the best of holidays and want to wish a happy New Year my friend.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful little cakes! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look lovely--and I even picked up a mini-bundt pan last fall that I haven't tried yet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What georgous & beautiful appetizing mini Bundt cakes!
    They look so cool too! :)

    MMMMMM,...I wish you tons of joy, laughter & good food adventures in 2012!! Kisses too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails