2.22.2011

Spring Pleasures


You'll never guess what made its initial appearance in my market last weekend. Rhubarb. Yup. It's here. And bright red, which of course means hothouse rhubarb and that's fine with me 'cause I love that deep red color. Over the years, I've droned on ad nauseam about my love for rhubarb, so I hope you're as crazy about it as I am....I've got quite a few recipes to try this spring. (Is it spring where you are yet?) Last spring I made my mother's famous rhubarb pie (pure rhubarb and nothing but) and saved the post in drafts so I'll definitely post that this year. And a crumble. And muffins and maybe even a cobbler. Get ready, my friends, lemon is going to take a back seat for a bit; divine rhubarb is in my kitchen.


I had to begin with this recipe. The color is just so gorgeous and once you make the rhubarb curd, it'll lead to some other lovely recipes. Think about it....rhubarb curd. The mind boggles with ideas. We're all so used to seeing lemon curd, but this is the first time I've ever made a rhubarb curd. It's delicious! It was all I could do to keep from eating it by the spoonful before I made the bars. The cookie crust balances out this bar perfectly. If you have leftover curd, mix it with yogurt over fruit. Top your next custard or pudding with it. How about serving it with panna cotta? I might try that one next.


So enjoy, my friends. Save this recipe for summer or if hothouse rhubarb is already  in your market, make something.....anything....it will make you think spring has sprung!


Bench notes:  I really think a slightly thinner cookie crust is a better idea, so next time I'll go with a larger baking dish. You need to adjust your baking time as a result. Keep a close eye on it. 
And, I like a little more rhubarb with my bar. 1/4 inch was just not enough. (But I did use a tad too much in this batch.) Again, you'll have to adjust your cooking time.


Rhubarb Bars

From Lara  Ferroni, Food Travel Life



Ingredients for rhubarb curd: 

400 grams rhubarb (about 10 to 15 stalks)
1/3 cup sugar

6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar  
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into chunks

Ingredients for the crust:
4 ounces butter, room temperature
1 cup (136 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
about 1/2 of the Rhubarb curd recipe from above
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)


Method for the curd:

Wash and chop rhubarb into 1/2 inch chunks. There is no need to peel, but if your stalks are particularly large, you might trim off any tough parts. Stir the rhubarb and 1/4 cup of sugar together and let sit for about 10 minutes. Place in a medium sized pot with about 1/4 cup of water and cook over low heat until you can no longer see whole pieces. Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature. Blend to a smooth puree if you desire (this will remove any remaining little stringy bits, but it isn’t necessary).

In a double boiler (or a bowl over boiling water), whisk the egg yolks, remaining sugar and salt. Whisk until well combined and warm. Add about 1 cup of the stewed rhubarb and the lemon zest. Keep stirring until the mixture is warm again. Check for taste and add more of the pureed rhubarb until you get the desired flavor and color. Remove from heat and stir in the butter chunks.

If you are not using the curd immediately, let it cool to room temperature and then store refrigerated for up to a week.

This recipe makes more curd than you’ll need for the Rhubarb Bars.

Method for the bars:

Preheat the oven to 350.

Place the butter, flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Start on low speed (to keep the flour from flying everywhere), stir until it resembles course crumbs. Then increase speed slightly and continue to mix until a soft dough forms. It’s kind of magic.

Take the dough and press it into a 9" x 5" baking dish (see bench notes). Let rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes, and then bake until it is lightly golden, about 20 minutes. While the dough is baking, finish preparing the curd.

Pour the enough curd onto the crust to make a layer around 1/4 inch thick (see bench notes), and bake for another 10 minutes, until the curd has set. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate if desired (it’s easier to slice when chilled, but not necessary). Dust with powdered sugar before slicing if you’d like.



60 comments:

  1. Wow!! I am coming over. I grew up with rhubarb as a staple and miss it a lot. If you found it, I probably will be also able to find it. ENjoy!!! It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not spring here! However, I love rhubarb and have since childhood. I've never heard of rhubarb curd but you can bet I'll add it to my rhubarb file. I adore rhubarb pie--made with just rhubarb.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring recipe! The colors are beautiful...I'm longing for some springtime here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rhubarb! It has appeared (from Holland) on market stalls here too, but I'm waiting for Swiss rhubarb...

    Those delicious bars are definitely for me!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to try rhubarb, looks delicious! And such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, who could resist those bars after seeing your lovely photos. It makes we want to give rhubarb a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only just baked with rhubarb for the first time last year, when I got it as part of my CSA share. Can't wait to try it again. Your bars look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not spring here - a light dusting of snow this morning - but as soon as I see rhubarb, I want to try these bars. I'm also eagerly awaiting your mother's pure rhubarb pie; it sounds so very much like my paternal grandmother's, and no one has her recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, it's trying to be Springtime in the Rockies, just having a hiccup or two. You know? I don't think I've ever eaten rhubarb. Even though I can remember my mom making rhubarb pie that everyone raved over. This dessert is so pretty, makes me want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Barbara, your rhubarb bars look awesome. Love the super cute pink on it! I think I'll be so crazy if I have some rhubarbs on hand right now. Thanks for sharing such lovely recipe. Hope you're having fabulous day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum! I know I would love these delicious looking bars. Growing up I used to eat rhubarb all the time. I can't wait till I start seeing it pop up in my local market.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look amazing and delicious dear Barbara. xxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard rumors that rhubarb was starting to make an appearance but I refused to believe it for fear of disappointment. But now with the evidence in front of my face, I have no choice. These look amazing! I love rhubarb and hope it reaches NYC soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I love the idea of rhubarb curd and these bars are looking wonderfully delicious! I must make this for my husband who is a huge rhubarb fan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Barbara, these bars look great, with the rhubarb curd on it...what a lovely treat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How delightful! I love the color too, such a great idea for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the curd, very inventive. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you, Barbara, I'm crazy for rhubarb. Something about the sour/bitter quality I just love.

    One of the things I miss most about having a garden is the big rhubarb patch that delivered from spring through fall. I can't think of anything I haven't done with it including a sauce for chicken and a cocktail (that was really good and very refreshing). The color of the cookie is gorgeous and I don't think I've ever made a curd before.. so sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks just amazing, i love those pretty layers, yay for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another winner my friend...I must start looking for the rhubarb...it really is my favourite!

    Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you believe I've never had rhubarb Barbara? I need to fix that - these are so pretty and look scrumptious too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YOu rock! I have seen a billion rhubarb recipes, and never one with a rhubarb curd. I cannot wait to make this... oh, about 6 months from now when it is rhubarb season here... but, still - absolutely brilliant. Beautiful in its seeming simplicity. Does it bite you back when you bite into it? You can never be sure with rhubarb!
    :)
    Thank you SO much for enriching my rhubarb life. Truly.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  23. These rhubarb bars look so stylish and unusual in taste, I bet they would be a sellout at any market! Need to finally try some rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beat me with a wet noodle, I'm not a huge fan of rhubarb.

    However, as a harbinger of spring, which I'm longing for, I'll need to reconsider. Those bars look mighty tempting.

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow I love your rhubarb curd! How unique!

    ReplyDelete
  26. unfortunately it is not spring in the midwest yet and in fact, am looking out my window to the site of snow/ice in patches . . . BUT i do get to come here and enjoy spring vicariously through you! and boy have i hit the jackpot today because rhubarb is one of my favorites. why, oh why, have i not thought about curd???

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh man, it's starting already..

    I have rhubarb in my garden, I have green onions in my garden...blah...blah...lol.

    We won't see rhubarb for three more months!

    Oh well, I guess I can start collecting recipes for spring..

    sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  28. If there's one very fond memory I have of my 'Nonno' is the endearing way he prepared me Rhubarb sauce.
    It's so unfortunate that Hubby doesn't appreciate it as much as I do...hence, I've never quite made some in my own kitchen...sigh.

    Love how you concocted the rhubarb curd...looks like a lovely color too.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore rhubarb and I just might be in love with these bars! I made something along these lines (much simpler) last spring and have been thinking of doing them again...but this might be up first. Gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Barbara,

    As a young child I never liked the taste of rhubarb. Now I like it very much and often make rhubarb crumble.
    I will make some of these, they look delicious and thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Happy Wednesday
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  31. Barbara I literally gasped when I saw this recipe on your post....and the pretty shade of pinkish red that the rhubarb curd made...absolutely divine!!!! I don't just say this but I do make so many of your recipes and love them all...this will be made immediately when I get my first batch of rhubarb this spring ...I mean seriously?!! Rhubarb Curd! heaven!!!
    xxx
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful rhubarb bars. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Speechless is how I feel! You have spring already? We are still in the doldrums of winter. Long time before I see fresh rhubarb! I love rhubarb and think I have posted a few recipes - rhubarb simple syrup, rhubarb poached in red wine, rhubarb Turkish delight. And I will be doing more experimenting this spring...my spring, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful idea making rhubarb bars Barbara! I don't think I've ever seen them before but I can imagine how delicious they would be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. You lucky lady! It hasn't started to show up here, surprisingly. This is a fabulous recipe for a bar. Very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These bars look absolutely delicious Barbara. Unfortunately, rhubarb is another one thing we do not have in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I saw rhubarb at the store the other day. Sad to say I have never had it before!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These bars look so pretty! I have to take lessons from you and try the rhubarb. Never cooked it or eaten it before! Sounds as if I should work this one into my spring lesson plans. Better yet you should visit my class!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, wow, wow!! I am thrilled at this, Barbara. Rhubarb Curd!!! You just made my day with this idea. :-) I can't wait for rhubarb now.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love rhubarb and can imagine how wonderful rhubarb curd must be.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  41. Aww, tis is the first time im seeing Rubharb bars and am in lovee with the pretty pink!
    Nope,we dont find this here easily or at all!
    Oh u love spring dont u...
    Our weather is warmmm , so dont really feel like spring here :-)in my heart i sure do...
    A thinner crust would make a crunchier wouldn it?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love, love, love rhubarb and I want these bars! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh, you lucky, lucky lady, Barbara! I wish rhubarb would rear its lovely head here. Your bars look delicious and they are the prettiest shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  44. There is no surer sign of spring in the produce aisles than rhubarb. Bob loves it and can never seem to get enough of it. Your bars are unusual and look delicious. I plan to try these. I can't resist the lure of something different.
    Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  45. what a euphonious name, and what a gorgeous color! i can only wish it were spring here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. hmmm...i still have yet to try rhubarb...this might just be the ticket...

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love rhubarb too, though I have to admit that I haven't had much of it. I haven't seen any at my local store yet, but I'll have to stock up on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. it really looks beautiful. I love red, and I love rhubarb - I wish my attempts to grow it had been successful.

    ReplyDelete
  49. OH BARBARA! WHat a PRETTY PICTURE! AND YOU ALREADY HAVE RHUBARB CHEZ TOI? Sheesh...we are gonna have to wait months to get this baby....we are expecting MORE SNOW tonight! We just got finished digging ourselves out of 18 inches here in Minneapolis, but I HAVE HOPE!!! I have spring in my heart all the time, and for that I am grateful. THANK YOU FOR YOUR VISIT and come by anytime to sit on that gray couch and admire that WHITE MANTEL! Oh, gray and white....soooooo lovely!

    BON APPÉTIT! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have not tried rhubarb but your beautiful rhubarb bars make me want to try. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm crazy for rhubarb as well. Every time rhubarb makes an appearance in my grocery store I always snatch up a bunch to freeze, so that I can make it last throughout the year! I think a rhubarb curd on top of a shortbread crust sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I need some JOY...making this on the weekend...thanks...yummmmmmm. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am also crazy for rhubarb! I used to think it was such an "adult" ingredient. (kinda like beets, which I also now love!) You are talking my language with the bars - looks like concentrated wonderfulness! Now what to do with the leftovers...

    ReplyDelete
  54. Rhubarb. Really?! This makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  55. wow these look so pretty my Dad adore rhubarb, thanks for the kind wishes on the trip we went to the Aquarium there fun, feel free to add me as a friend on facebook anytime :-)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  56. rhubarb. never had it before. rhubarb. never would have even given a single thought about it if you didn't post it, this rhubarb. love saying it. rhubarb. i can hear kate hepburn saying it with her terrific accent (think "philadelphia story" kate). "oh, dahling, where IS the rhubarb that mother left for us?"

    ReplyDelete
  57. You have rhubarb? No way! Rhubarb always makes me think of my sister--she loved the stuff. She'd just eat it raw, dipped in sugar. *shudder* These bars sound a lot more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails