1.24.2011

Get Ready.......Super Bowl Snacks II


Well, there it is. It's going to be the Packers and the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV.  And here are my last two 
football-watching snacks; both are scrumptious, but entirely different. One is an old favorite and the other I found in Donna Hay Magazine. You'll like them both. 

Bacon pinwheels have been around forever. There are recipes using packaged croissant dough, pie pastry or puff pastry dough. Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, no cheese. Scallions or parsley or both. In fact, the only constant is bacon. I've made them all ways but if you want to make them dressy, I've found the puff pastry/bacon only version makes the prettiest presentation. 


Here's the basic recipe...it really adapts well to either puff  pastry or croissant dough. And you can stuff them with whatever takes your fancy. In these, I used bacon, scallions, 2 cheeses and croissant dough. You can even use lo-cal versions of some of the ingredients. This is such perfect football food and a snap to make. Is there anyone who doesn't love bacon? Hello out there? Anyone at all?

I didn't think so.

Bacon Pinwheels




Ingredients:


1 package of crescent roll dough 
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature 
5 green onions, chopped 
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, room temperature
8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped

Method:


Preheat oven to 375 F.
Unroll the crescent rolls and seal all the edges. Flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
Mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and onions and spread evenly over the dough. Sprinkle with the chopped bacon. Roll up like a jelly roll and refrigerate at least 1/2 an hour. Makes it easier to slice.
Slice in 1/4 inch slices, put on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake  12-15 minutes or until well browned.


Last but not least is a rather unusual football snack, but the group I made them for last year really liked them. Of course, they take a bit longer than some recipes because you have to cook and cool the polenta first. Do it the day before so you don't have to think about it; the rest is super simple. If you have time, make a garlic aioli...it's marvelous with these polenta sticks. I use a recipe I found in Gourmet magazine ages ago. (Which I didn't make for this photo. This is sour cream, not nearly as good.)

These crunch so nicely when you bite into them and the herbs are wonderful. You can't beat Donna Hay for recipes. Smartest thing I ever did was take a subscription.  It's worth every penny.


Enjoy the Super Bowl!




Herbed Polenta Chips

Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 51






Ingredients:
For the polenta:
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup instant polenta
1 ounce butter, chopped
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chips:
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon oregano leaves
olive oil

Method:
To make the polenta:
Place the stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil. While whisking, slowly add the polenta. Whisk until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add the butter, Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon into a lightly greased baking pan and spread until aboutn 3/4 of an inch thick. Refrigerate until set.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut the polenta  into fingers and brush with the olive oil. Mix the herbs and roll the fingers in them. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with garlic aioli (recipe follows), sour cream or mayonnaise.

Garlic Aioli
Gourmet Magazine, February 2007


Ingredients:

2 medium heads garlic, left whole
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives


Method:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. 
Cut off and discard tops of garlic heads to expose cloves, then brush each head with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Wrap heads together in foil and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Cool to warm. 
Squeeze garlic from skins into a food processor and purée with mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper, and salt. Transfer aioli to a bowl and stir in chives. 

63 comments:

  1. Love your herb Polenta chips. Is in my to-do-list soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I love both, but bacon always, always wins me over. Somehow it's hard to say no to something (anything) with bacon.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. An, deliciousness! I agree with Sam--put bacon in it and I'm happy. Both of these recipes sound worthy of super bowl viewing/eating!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a bit of football watching here yesterday compared to hockey..Anyone would appreciate these great snack! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bacon pinwheels look wonderful Barbara. Gotta give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great choice of Superbowl snacks! Those pinwheels must be addictive.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told you Barbara Im crazy by snacks like this, look delicious, love the pictures,xxx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, more of my favorite kinds of food! For some strange reason I don't feel guilty eating foods like this when I'm watching a football game. I would be a party pooper if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo... Barbara, more of those terrific snacks! Thanks for sharing with us. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, KRisty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raising my hand as a bacon lover ;)

    These both sound great, Barbara. There will be lots of Super Bowl parties here in Wisconsin this year and these are two great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These bacon puffs are so easy and look so decadent! We do not have super bowl in Greece but we have soccer games and these little treats along with the polenta sticks will make some people I know very very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at these delicious finger foods, your place is definitely going to be the place to be come Superbowl Sunday!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been looking for something yummy to take to a Super Bowl party I'm going to. Those pinwheels ought to fit the bill quite nicely!

    Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful finger food!!! The polenta sticks are interesnting and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of polenta sticks, very intriguing indeed. Garlic Aioli, oh goodness!

    Well, Barbara you've pretty much wrapped up the finger food dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday which is A-OKay with me!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara, I love finger food...the polenta looks very tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. herbed polenta chips - I am in love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both big winners for the nosh set, Barbara. I love the idea of the polenta fries with all those herbs and then the garlic dunk... whoa that must be super evil wicked delicious! I like that you put the cider vinegar in there... never saw that in an aioli... the tang must be great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i honestly have no idea which i'd try first, they both look amazing. i love bacon, and i love polenta too! great game time snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can snack on those pinwheels anytime...however, those polenta snacks are what really got my attention this time. I love polenta and have yet to adapt it this way ;o)

    Ciao for now and wishing you fun Football times ;o)
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow love the herbed polenta chips :-0

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those polenta "chips" look amazing. I hate football but I love game-day snacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yum. One for me, one for the Knight. Sissy can't have either though, so... we won't have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both of your snack ideas look great! I love watching the Super Bowl, regardless of who's playing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those polenta chips look really crispy and wonderful, what a nice alternative to fries!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mmmm....both of these look delicious and snack-worthy. I can't pass up anything with bacon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love both your treats! They would be perfect for any gathering! I'm thinking football, yes, but also for my book club meetings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all great! Polenta chips are our way of using polenta leftovers (when we have any!). I like them for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The polenta chips are new to me and sound fun to make--not to mention really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Would it be wrong if I made the polenta and then hid it from all my football-watching friends? I don't think I could share. Looks too good.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both the bacon pinwheels and the polenta would make it hard for me to concentrate on the game!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your maing me hungry, what great game day bacony snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those bacon pinwheels and polenta chips look terrific, awesome snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a perfect snack, so perfect for a happy gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Someone is lucky at your house. The herbed polenta with the aoli is singing my song and calling my name. I would be dipping and licking that bowl clean.
    YUM!!!
    Did you watch the game?
    :)
    valerie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Both snacks look really wonderful. I could eat the pinwheels right now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Barbara--it's so fun how you mix-it-up old school and new with these super bowl snack recipes. You really grabbed me with those crispy polenta sticks, and their gorgeous herb dusting. Now I will have to check out Donna Hay (new to me, cool!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those polenta chips look like they would totally float my boat! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  39. More great appetizers Barbara. I am going to have to look into Donna Hay. I will definitely be trying these two. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm not a big football fan, but I've already been thinking about snacks for Super Bowl Sunday. The polenta chips look great! Those will disappear quickly with the aioli.

    ReplyDelete
  41. the polent chips sounds just awesome!! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Both are so decadent! Will go well with beer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I didn't mean for the story to be sad. All I meant was he got to go to her magical world, where they could be together always.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my, do these look delicious, Barbara! What a great Superbowl menu you have...I'm adding the herbed polenta to my list, it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  45. These look totally addicting. But then I love polenta in any shape or form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. That herb polenta really catches my attention with those yummy garlic aioli they're a superb combo. Love the bacon in that piwheel.Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, what great food! You must be very popular at Superbowl time. I won't be watching it but would happily settle for these snack, especially the polenta chips. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Good morning dearest Barbara! YUMMMMMMMM! Oh dear, I am so glad that just looking at food doesn't pack on the pounds! Those polenta sticks at the end especially have my attention! You are a wonder yourself dearest! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SWEET COMMENTS and for coming by...enjoy the weekend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  49. Yummy looking snacks Barbara! I love cheese and bacon scrolls and I think Mr NQN had to organise an intervention to stop me from eating them! :P

    ReplyDelete
  50. so who are you pulling for? the packers come from the land of cheese, so i think i'm swayed toward them. :)
    great noshes--the polenta fries are unique and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Mmm those polenta fries look fantastic (A nice change from potatoes I can tell you that!).
    My go-to Superbowl snack is jalapeno poppers but I can't wait to give those bacon pinwheels a *ahem* spin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I loveeee DOnna Hay too and u have some wonderful bites happening galore!
    Oh the football watching at ur place is oh so interestingly delicious!
    Love ur deliciousness galore!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow, I'd LOVE both of those snacks, but the polenta chips might be genius :) Delicious!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, how fantastic do those look!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Another winner my friend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks for giving me so much love and support this week!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh my goodness! These look scrumptious! By the way, the Pizza Puffs were a big hit with my girls, and they could not get enough of those scallion pancakes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I just made polenta, I should have read your post and made these instead!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I am totally making those bacon pinwheels this weekend. Bacon fan, for sure...a whole houseful of them.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails