3.22.2017

Crisp Cornmeal Shrimp


I've been posting quite a few shrimp recipes because along with scallops, they are my favorite quick dinner. I've made any number of versions of Cathy's cornmeal shrimp recipe for years and I bet you have too. But the other night I decided to take a photo and post it for the blog. I like that she added some Old Bay seasoning and makes her own tartar sauce, as do I. Cathy most often uses frozen shrimp for this, but because I live on the Florida coast, finding fresh shrimp is never a problem for me. Either way will work.

P.S. Are you wondering what that lobster claw is doing sticking out from under the shrimp? Those are my lobster plates....I love the oval shape and use them frequently for the blog.

Crisp Cornmeal Shrimp
From Noble Pig


Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large  eggs, lightly beaten
1 pound frozen peeled and deveined large shrimp w/tail on, thawed
tartar sauce
lemon wedges

Method:
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt and Old Bay Seasoning in a bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat two eggs.
Dip the shrimp in the eggs, then coat in the cornmeal mixture.
In a skillet, cook the shrimp until golden brown and crisp in a 1/2" of canola oil, about 3 minutes (about 5-8 at a time). Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Keep warm in a low oven until all the shrimp are cooked.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce for dipping.


My tartar sauce: To mayonnaise, I add a squeeze of lemon juice, sweet pickle relish to taste, a little grated onion and pepper.

11 comments:

  1. Delicious! The cornmeal coating must have given them some extra crispiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute the clAWWWWW:) Love shrimp dishes Barbara:) Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look absolutely delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  4. so yummy and crunchy ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so tasty! I love shrimp (and I love my lobster plates, too!!)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had shrimp at home in far too long! Pinning this recipe to try soon, Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. a perfect use for cornmeal batter! too bad that wasn't a real lobster claw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the cornmeal coat on these shrimps...I have tried them in fish...I will make sure to try this recipe of my air fryer...
    I hope you are having a nice week Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always liked a cornmeal breading on both shrimp and fish, it makes for such a crunchy coating and seals in all the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks delicious and love fresh shrimp we are visited the gulf coast of FL soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I just picked up some larger shrimp and was thinking it would be a shame to put them in soup where my last shrimp went. Thanks for sharing Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails