2.01.2017

Shrimp Scampi


We eat a lot of shrimp at my house...served any number of ways. My favorite is Shrimp De Johne, but we decided to try this scampi recipe recently. A simple dish, full of flavor. I served it with roasted carrots and you could also serve the shrimp over rice or pasta. 

Shrimp Scampi
From The New York Times




Ingredients:
2 lbs large shrimp (about 48), shelled and deveined
1 large garlic clove
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chervil
Pinch of dried thyme, crumbled
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of mace
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Method:
Cook shrimp in a 4-quart pot of boiling salted water * until just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain shrimp in a colander, then immediately transfer to a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Mash garlic to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt using a mortar and pestle (or mince and mash garlic with salt using a large knife), then stir together with fresh and dried herbs, shallot, onion, 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, 1 cup bread crumbs, nutmeg, mace, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Melt remaining 1/2 stick butter and stir together with remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to make topping.
Arrange shrimp in 1 layer (slightly overlapping if necessary) in a buttered 3-quart flameproof gratin dish or other wide shallow ceramic baking dish. Cover with herbed breadcrumb mixture, then sprinkle with topping. Bake in upper third of oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Turn on broiler and broil until crumbs are golden brown, about 2 minutes.

(When salting water for cooking, use 1 tablespoon for every 4 quarts water.)

15 comments:

  1. I love this dish..I have had similar and we enjoy it so much:)If I remember I have had shrimp de Jonghe too..we made a recipe book one Christmas at work..to amass funds for our Fireman's Fund..and this was one f the published recipes..I think;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! A lovely recipe.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, this is one of my favorite ways to enjoy shrimp, love all the herbs that you added, looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so inviting! I love shrimp and that golden crumble makes it even more irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to visit your house--I love shrimp! The crispy, garlicky breadcrumbs sound so good. Wishing this was on the menu for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something about garlic and shrimp that are a perfect match. I make a shrimp scampi with pasta but love the golden crust on this recipe! Love NYT recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't think i've ever seen scampi with bread crumbs on top--i like it! pasta is filler to me, but seasoned bread crumbs are a different beast entirely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a husband who would KILL for this dish! I love the bread crumb topping :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mom used to make shrimp de jonge -- loved it with all the butter, but scampi is always a winner... num

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so many beautiful seafood dishes this week. Positively inspiring Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this recipe. We are in Florida now and for some reason we eat more seafood when we are here. Thanks Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your scampi coated with its breadcrumb topping sounds great. My MIL used to make something similar and I haven't thought about it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, your shrimp scampi looks delicious...thanks for sharing the recipe as I am always looking for shrimp recipes...
    I hope you are having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails