6.18.2016

Heidi's Roasted Cauliflower Rice


While I'd certainly heard of it, cauliflower rice sounded like a strange idea, but I loved the ingredient list in Heidi's recipe so gave this a try. So glad I did! Who'd have thought to add orange to this combo? It added just the right touch of citrus to an already marvelous recipe. I made it for lunch and ended up having it for supper as well. I don't normally fuss this much for lunch, but sometimes I get in a salad rut and need a refreshing change. Frankly, I think it would be a super side dish for grilling...salad plus veggie all in one.

Roasted Cauliflower Rice


Ingredients:
1 medium-large head of cauliflower
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
 one orange, zest and juice
 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, lightly crushed
 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
 2/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
 2 big handfuls pea sprouts or micro greens
 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
 3 tablespoons fresh marjoram
 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese

Method:
Heat oven to 375F with a rack in the top third. Cut the stems and florets from the head of cauliflower and chop them into small pieces resembling rice. You should end up with about 5 cups. Put the cauliflower in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, zest of the orange, caraway, garlic, and sea salt. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet and place in the oven for about 35 minutes, tossing once along the way (after 20 minutes), or until the cauliflower is tender and golden-edged.

Put the roasted cauliflower into a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed juice from the orange. Add the hazelnuts, pea sprouts, radishes, and marjoram. Toss well, taste and add more salt and orange juice if needed. Turn out into a bowl or platter, and finish with the goat cheese.


13 comments:

  1. Roasting brings the best flavour out of the veggies. This looks really delicious paired with goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,

    Looks tasty - I even saw someone on a cooking competition the other day had made cauliflower chips which the judges said were really good.
    Happy Sunday
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks ever so scrumptious! I love cauliflower rice.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    http://www.reveriesbramblesscribbles.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make cauliflower rice forever... This dish looks awesome!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've definitely inspired me to try making this, Barbara! It does sound wonderful and the list of ingredients would be delicious together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't tried this yet but given my love for cauliflower, i'm sure it won't belong before it's a staple in my dinner rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting and looks good! Love it with all that caraway seed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, looks like a delicious way to prepare cauliflower, love all the flavors you have put together here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sounds like a great mix of ingredients! I seem to be grilling more often than not for meals lately, so I love the idea of pairing it with something off the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even I tried a few days ago and I loved cauliflower rice in salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow…this really is different and it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing this on Smitten Kitchen and being a bit smitten by it! HAH. Now I really do have to try it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails