4.24.2016

Rhubarb Custard Bars


Take my word for it...these are fabulous! And somewhat of a surprise, as after reading the directions, I didn't have a clue how that middle layer would turn out. Of course, I'm prejudiced about anything rhubarb....it's my favorite, so considering all the recipes I make and post with it, don't you think it's saying something if I classify these as fabulous? From the crisp bottom crust to the rhubarb custard filling to the unusual topping...nothing but YUM. 

Rhubarb Custard Bars

From Taste of Home


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

For filling:
2 cups sugar
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream, not whipped
3 large eggs, beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb

For topping:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Method:
Combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased and floured 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
Make the rhubarb custard filling: combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over baked crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.


Make the topping: beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, I have only baked with rhubarb once. Not sure why I absolutely love it. Will definitely be trying this recipe. Looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic treat! I love rhubarb.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know they are wonderful..Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rhubarb is up and growing but too early to pick. I'll be saving this to my rhubarb recipes to try, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never baked myself with rhubarb but have enjoyed many times. Your bars look delightful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh Oh, it's rhubarb season, lol...for some reason I'm not surprised you have shared some mighty fine looking Rhubarb Custard Bars, Barbara. You may just be the queen of all things rhubarb!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound fabulous. I know how much you like rhubarb. I agree with Louise above, you are the Queen of Rhubarb.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are rhubarbara, after all! i like this treat--rhubarbara's rhubarb bars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Barbara, these bars sound awesome, I have not baked with rhubarb for years, I love the different layers in these bars.
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to use the rhubarb that seems to be everywhere!!!


    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Grace's "Rhubarbara" name for you. What a great recipe--it looks like the custard bakes beautifully in the bar. So many good rhubarb recipes on the web right now---but this one really intrigues me.
    I just made a strawberry-rhubarb custard cake, which involved several steps, great for a celebration. These bars would be good to whip up for an anytime treat.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails