11.20.2015

Susan's Brussels Sprouts Souffle




Are you like me...always on the lookout for new side dishes for the holidays? My family has their favorites and I'm always happy to make those dishes for them, but I really do like to introduce one new veggie dish each year. Their favorite sprout recipe to date is one I first made many years ago and posted it in 2008 HERE. My family still requests it. But when I saw Susan's recipe for the sprout souffle, I just knew I'd have to make it for the holidays this year. I gave it a test run and my guests loved it. I have no doubt this will soon replace my family's old favorite.

Susan's Brussels Sprouts Souffle
From Savoring Time in the Kitchen



Ingredients:
¼ cup butter 
¼ cup all-purpose flour 
½ teaspoon salt 
1 cup milk 
4 egg yolks 
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 
1 10-oz package frozen Brussels sprouts, cooked, drained, and finely chopped (about 2 cups) May use fresh, cooked Brussels Sprouts, of course - do not overcook (I used fresh)
4 egg whites 

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F
In a very large  sauce pan melt butter until bubbly and then blend in the flour and salt until well combined. Add the milk all at once and cook quickly till mixture thickens, stirring constantly. 

Beat egg yolks till thick and lemon-colored. Blend some of the hot butter mixture into egg yolks to temper them; return the yolk mixture to the pot and stir rapidly to that the eggs do not curdle. Stir in cheese and finely chopped sprouts. Set pan aside. 

Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and carefully fold into hot mixture. Make certain they are mixed, but do not over-fold.

Turn the mixture into an ungreased 2-quart soufflé dish. 

Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.

Susan's notes: May be made the day before and refrigerated after cooling. Allow to come to room temperature and reheat in a 350 oven, covered with aluminum foil until heated through - about 20 minutes.




13 comments:

  1. I love Susan's brussel's sprout souffle too. Yours turned out great too, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a main course in itself, pretty rich as a side with turkey! But it's Thanksgiving, what the hey?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It HAS to be delish:)Perfect Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful surprise to see this post, Barbara! It's such a family favorite that it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Thanks so much for posting it and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brussels sprouts! I've never had them in a souffle, and now I have to try it. I'll be a guest rather than a cook for Thanksgiving this year, but I'll find another occasion to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that soufflé must taste really good! Brussel sprouts are so tasty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I want to try this, but I have no idea who might share it with me. Happy birthday, friend! I hope you've had some fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. REALLY want to try this one--so fancy! even though brussels sprouts are currently on my ick list, i can't pass this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I always do that not only with my family but also with my friends too! I am making the standards and squeeze also a newby to try! I love Brussels sprouts and this souffle is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm always on the lookout for new ways to use Brussels sprouts - what a great idea! I'll bet it would even "convert" the non-fans in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that I could get Bill to eat this (he Thinks he doesn't like those "stinky little cabbages." Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving, Barbara--all the best to you and yours. Nancy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails