1.25.2015

Lentil Stuffed Samosas



You could make these for lunch, for dinner or perhaps a football-watching snack. Use your favorite dal type stuffing (or any stuffing at all) and have fun wrapping! I'm not a wrapping pro but these held together nicely. I practiced with paper towels. I wish my egg roll wrappers had been a bit longer, but these were all I could find at the market. They were 6 1/2 inches square. I seemed to have the best luck cutting them in two inch wide rectangular strips, giving me 2 by 6 1/2 inches to work with. 
The dal is a combination of recipes and I had brown lentils in the pantry, so that's what I used.

Lentil Stuffed Samosas



Ingredients:

1 cup lentils
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped along with the greens
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon Indian red chili powder
1 serrano chili or whatever your heat preference
Salt to taste
vegetable oil for frying

For the wrappers:
spring roll wrapper sheets (mine were 6 1/2 inches square which I cut into 2 inch rectangles)

For the glue to hold them together:
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons water

Method:

Rinse the lentils well and then boil them in water until they are cooked through but still retain the shape. About 10-15 minutes. Pour the lentils in a sieve to drain and cool.

Mix all the ingredients in the filling with a light hand so as to not break the lentils, put aside. Mix the wheat flour with the water. Set aside, this is the "glue".

Cut the spring roll wrappers into 2-3 inch wide rectangles. Cover unused wrappers with a damp cloth while working with it so it doesn't dry out. 
Rather than try to explain how to fold samosas, I suggest you watch the following uTube vid.




Fill about 2 tbsp of filling into the triangle and pressing it down with your finger. once folded, brush the flour and water glue on the end of the pastry and fold over the top of the filled triangle to seal. 
It’s important that the samosa is completely sealed so oil doesn't seep into the filling while frying. If you see any openings close it with the glue mixture. Heat oil in a wok and drop the triangles in it. They are done when light golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges or ketchup. They freeze extremely well. So you can make in bulk and keep it in deep freezer and fry them in oil right out of the freezer.

Makes 10 or more.

21 comments:

  1. How fun and something I've never tried. They would make a great snack or appetizer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter just Pinned samsa on Pinterest.I like them..
    Different ..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the folding video; I am a visual learner! I'm eager to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would be a huge hit in our house. A great recipe, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these samosas Barbara.
    Is an amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great little nibbles and hearty enough for a meal. I love anything with lentils! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why I haven't made samosas. I love eating them, but I guess I always thought they were too much work. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious and I love the flavor combo too - YUM!!! Can't wait to give them a try - thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! Those samosas are irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, i am married to an Indian man, and he loves samosa! I may get adventurous and try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned to make dal many years ago from an Indian friend. I love these samosas. The video is appreciated Barbara. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know about this one Barbara, I'm such a klutz when it comes to wrapping and glueing, lol...They sure do look yummy though. Samosas are a favorite of mine and lentils, well, they are so nutritiously yummy!!!

    You did a wonderful job and the video is much appreciated just in case I feel adventurous!!! Thanks for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Greece we have similar to samosas wrappings and I love them. They look very appetizing Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i can count on one hand the number of times i've had a samosa, but i'm pretty sure i've enjoyed them each time! i think these sound fabulous--filling and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM. very reminiscent of sambusas that I've enjoyed at Ethiopian restaurants. Lentils are so versatile, and packed with protein.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent, Barabara! They have to be delicious and would be perfect for the Super Bowl party. I've never made samosas but want to try it now, with lots of heat. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd never heard of Samosas, but these look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so interesting and sound so delicious! These would be perfect for any party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What addictive little samosas, love them :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  20. Something I've never tried or made but I love everything about them, Barbara. Especially since I love lentils. I'll bet they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Barbara, These really sound nice. I would enjoy them with a salad.
    Stay warm and cozy, xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails