11.24.2014

Pear, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Rugelach




It's a day for giving thanks for our many blessings. 
I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving filled with friends and family around the table.

"What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?" -- Erma Bombeck
                                         
                                  ************************
Pears are absolutely delicious right now, so I decided my Thanksgiving post would be a recipe you could use anytime for the coming holidays. Perfect with a glass of wine, these are some of my favorite flavors: pears, blue cheese and walnuts.

Pear, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Rugelach
From Baking Moment




Ingredients:
For the Pear Filling
4 bartlett pears 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
3 tablespoons light brown sugar 
pinch of kosher salt 

For the Dough: 
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 
6 ounces cream cheese, softened 
4 ounces blue cheese, slightly softened 
2 tablespoons honey 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
¼ teaspoon kosher salt 

 And:
egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, milk, or water) 
1 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped 

Method:
To Make the Filling: 
Peel and core the pears. Shred with a box grater or food processor. Heat a small skillet on medium high heat with the butter. Add the pears, brown sugar, and salt and cook until slightly softened. Drain off any excess liquid and refrigerate until chilled. 

To Make the Dough: 
Cream the butter, cheeses, and honey in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined. 
Divide the dough into 4 equal balls and refrigerate for one hour. Roll each ball to a thickness of 1/8 inch, and top with an even layer of pear filling. Cut into quarters, and then cut each quarter into thirds. Starting at the widest end of each triangle, roll gently towards the point and then shape into a crescent. 
Refrigerate for 30 minutes minimum. 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Brush the rugelach with egg wash and top with chopped walnuts. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown. 

Can be served warm or at room temperature. 


19 comments:

  1. Perfect snack,perfectly baked and it looks so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make these! I love that the cheese is in the pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmhhh, what fantastic flavors! They must taste amazing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rugelach is definitely one of must bake during the holiday season. These look scrumptious!
    Happy Holidays to you and your family, Barbara!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pears and blue cheese are a match made in heaven and the added walnuts make it sublime. Happy Thanks giving Barbara.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different..sounds like a winning recipe!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just Delicious! Happy Thanksgiving Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that cheese in the dough sounds incredible, I've never made these before but I love to buy them from bakeries!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, some of my favorite seasonal flavors all in one place... and I have everything I need in the fridge.

    Hope you have a splendid Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving my dear!
    Thank you for all your always wonderful comments; I LOVE each and every one. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've decided i LOVE the combination of stinky cheese, nuts, and sweet fruit, so i'm all over these! happy thanksgiving, barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my these look yummy Barbara!!! Thanks so much for sharing and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Barbara,

    These look delicious and thanks for sharing.
    Wishing you and your family a very happy thanksgiving
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!! I've never seen fresh fruit filling in rugelach before, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some of my favourite flavours, too.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Thanksgiving. The filling flavors of the rugelach sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, these look delightful, Barbara. You know, when I was a little girl pears were my favorite fruit. I think the pears and the cream cheese make this wonderful recipe.

    I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. It's Christmas time, and I look forward to seeing all your goodies.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rugelach is such a fabulous appetiser, I would love to try your filling for it in a party!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inspired! These savory rugelaches would be delicious to serve to friends all throughout the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails