7.26.2014

Potato Galette with Sautéed Asparagus and Fresh Peas


How perfect for a quick dinner! Just a simple potato pancake but topped with fresh veggies from your garden or farmer's market. 

Potato Galette with Sautéed Asparagus and Fresh Peas
From Mimi at her Manger blog


Ingredients:
4 large potatoes 
3 small shallots, finely chopped
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
4 tbsp plain flour
Coarse sea-salt and freshly ground black pepper
A bunch of asparagus (3-4 per person) (I used white asparagus)
1 cup fresh peas, shelled
A small piece of Cheddar cheese 
A dash of piment d’espelette
A few sprigs of fresh chives
A dash of freshly grated lemon zest
A tablespoon of crème fraîche per serving
Butter & olive oil for frying

Method:
Peel the potatoes and grate them into a large bowl. Add the chopped shallots, nutmeg, egg and egg yolk, flour. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a sauté pan until sizzling hot, scoop about a tablespoon or one and a half tablespoon (depending on how large you want the galettes), flatten them with a spatula. Cook them on both sides until golden. Grate a teaspoon of cheddar cheese on top. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
Peel the asparagus and cut off the stiff ends. Slice the asparagus in half. Sauté the asparagus in a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, stiring gently. After 5 minutes add the peas. Season with salt & pepper. Add a few tablespoons of water and continue to cook until absorbed and asparagus and peas are tender yet al dente.
To serve:
Place the potato galette on a serving plate, place the asparagus and peas on top, add a tablespoon of crème fraîche, season with salt & pepper and a dash of piment d’espelette. Sprinkle with lemon zest and finely chopped chives.
Makes about 8 galettes, depending on size.


18 comments:

  1. This Look awesome Barbara, I love Mimi's recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A satisfying and delicious meal! More asparagus for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An awesome dish! I'd love to eat it.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great combination of flavors. I fall for potato dishes every time.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the delicious galette, never could resist potato :P

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. i usually just eat my potatoes mashed--this is definitely a step up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly my kind of meal! All you need is a few dogs and some some small children in your photos :) Honestly, I love Mimi's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds sensational! I'd love to try this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes this dish, with the nice dollup of creme fraiche on top? Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barbara, love this dish, potatoes are one of my favorite foods and you have certainly elevated them to something really special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm potato pancake! I like that dollop of creme fraiche too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of that touch of nutmeg in the galette--never tried that with my potato cakes. what a delicious vegetarian meal---would be much loved in my household

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely summer meal. Just right for warm evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a GREAT idea Barbara! Simple and I'm sure delicious! Just perfect! Thanks so much for sharing, Barbara...

    ReplyDelete
  16. just perfect! I'm all over this one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Barbara, wow this looks so good! I have never made a potato galette before but now I want to try! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails