1.12.2013

Marion Cunningham's Angel Biscuits


Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book is a breakfast bible as far as I'm concerned. It's been fun working my way through it and there hasn't been a single disappointment so far.

According to Marion, this recipe was probably developed in the nineteenth century because leavening agents back then were not always reliable. So cooks often used more than one leavening agent as insurance. Nowadays, yeast and baking powder are sure-proof, so there's no need to combine them. But when you do, as in this recipe, the result is light as air, therefore the name "Angel" biscuits. Also referred to as double-proof biscuits, you'll find them a snap to make, although they do require 8 hours in the fridge and another hour to rise, so plan ahead. 


Angel Biscuits

From The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham





Ingredients:
1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Method:
Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir with a fork to mix. Add the shortening and cut in with a pastry cutter, or use your fingertips, which is what I did. The mixture should look irregular and crumbly.

Add the baking soda to the buttermilk and add to the flour. Stir. Add the yeast mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 8 hours. (I left it in overnight.)
Turn the dough out on a floured board and knead a dozen times. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 2 inch cutter. Place them 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet (I used Pam). Cover and let rise 1 hour.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until browned. Serve hot.



30 comments:

  1. Those biscuits look really nice and fluffy! I bet they are extremely addictive.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look biscuit and comforting:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture looks feathery, perfect name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, pass the biscuits! Those look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...those look like the fluffiest most amazing biscuits around. Pinning this recipe to try later. I'm also going to take a look at the cookbook. I love breakfast cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your biscuits look as light as air. I've never tried any of Marion Cunningham's recipes, but I really should. She's one of the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look lovely! My scones are a bit hit & miss, so I should try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These knock the ball out of the park!! wow - they look so good - so fluffy and delicious with all the melted butter - yum!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smothered in butter and jam it would be pure heaven. These biscuits look divine. :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great minds think alike Barbara but in your case the recipe you chose worked beautifully. My chosen recipe was too sweet and they did not rise . Sigh they ended up being chucked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way you describe these I can't not make them! They look pretty perfect, and I can't resist anything with an 'angelic' texture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These biscuits looks so lofty that they the name angel biscuit is very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look perfectly risen! And how interesting that they used a few rising agents just in case! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's breakfast time and I wish I could just reach in and grab one of your biscuits Barbara.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're beautiful, Barbara! Next time I decide to bake biscuits, this is going to be the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, how can you not love a big basket of biscuits, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Barbara,

    These biscuits looks very yummy and I am feeling like having one with my afternoon coffee. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    Happy new week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year, Barbara-
    I have heard about Angel Biscuits for a long time, but never seen the recipe in its entirety or such luscious pictures. These would have to be the lightest, most flavorful biscuits ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh, barbara, those are some FINE looking biscuits! they appear to have the most perfect fluffy texture! this one's getting a pin, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my! These look wonderful and the recipe sounds like a winner. I've bookmarked this and hope to try them soon, Barbara. I hope you are enjoying the New Year. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. What delicious cookies my friend, perfect :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Barbara, your biscuits look so nice and flaky...I love the way they rised.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think these look awesome! They're like the Pillsbury ones!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Soft and fluffy! My kind of biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That butter melting has my heart beating just a little faster this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those biscuits are beautiful! It's scary to think how many of those I could put away by myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. They look indeed very airy & beautiful!

    How do you eat them? With what?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Every time I hear about this book, I wonder why I don't have a copy of it yet. These biscuits look incredible! I have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. those look like the kind my mom used to make when it was a soup night... love them. I rarely make them but seeing them now makes me miss them. Perfect baking job, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails