10.31.2012

Mary's Cream Cheese Apple Cake


I hope everyone who was affected by Sandy is doing OK. In some way or another the entire eastern half of the U.S. was affected in some way. My daughter, who lives in one of the zones in NYC that was evacuated, missed the worst of it as she has been down here helping me finish up the packing. Finally, after three cancellations, she has a flight going back tomorrow afternoon. Still no electricity in her home or business, but she heard her water is on, so while things will NOT be pleasant for a while, she felt it imperative to get back and check on everything. I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

                                                                        *********************************************

This Cream Cheese Apple Cake from Mary at One Perfect Bite is totally delicious and was the hit of my Garden Club coffee last week. I made and froze a smaller loaf of it, so I can assure you it holds up beautifully to freezing, which is a huge plus. You can also see the cake cut in diagonals in my Apple Fritter post from a couple weeks ago.
Everyone loved this very moist cake, with just the perfect amount of apples. You've got to try it.....the cream cheese makes for such a lovely tender crumb. You'll love it. Easy to make, too. 
Thanks, Mary!

Cream Cheese Apple Cake
From Mary at One Perfect Bite


Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 pounds tart apples, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two (9 x 5 x 2-inch) loaf pans.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together and set aside.

Put butter, cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat ingredients on medium-high speed until mixture is very light in color — almost white — and texture is fluffy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl once during the process to insure that butter is evenly incorporated.

Crack eggs into a liquid measure and add vanilla. With mixer on low speed, slowly pour mixture into bowl allowing eggs to fall in one at a time. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl.

Add sifted dry ingredients on low speed; stop mixing as soon as flour is incorporated. Fold apples in by hand using a stiff spatula and scrape batter into prepared pan.

Place pans in the middle of oven and bake 60-75 minutes rotating pans halfway through baking time. When cake is finished, a wooden skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean. Allow cakes to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely and cover with a thick dusting of confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.



24 comments:

  1. I would love a few slices of this apple cake for dessert, please?! :D

    I'm happy to hear that your daughter missed hurricane Sandy! It looks so horrendous on t.v...actually being there must be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy was one miserable and destructive storm. Glad to hear that your daughter was with you, and out of harms way. I know you are glad too.

    This cake rocks. It is definitely a plus that it holds up to freezing well.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. what delicious apple cake I love all with apples Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful little cake! I love the little apple chunks. I hope your daughter gets her power back soom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara,

    I would like a slice too please, with my coffee I am sipping.
    This looks so good.
    Glad to hear that your daughter was with you and hope she has the power back on and life can get back to normal with her home and business.
    Good luck with the packing.

    enjoy the rest of the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have been so relieved to have your daughter with you! I hope life goes back to normal quickly for everyone who was effected.

    This looks like just the sort of cake my husband loves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that your daughter is doing well!

    That cake looks marvelous! Cream cheese is a great addition.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear your daughter is okay and that her water is back! Hopefully that will soon be true for all of lower manhattan. GORGEOUS cake! I'm so in an apple mood right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad for the report on your daughter's home and business. Fingers crossed she is reunited with her cat this evening.

    The Knight wants to know if you'll adopt him. He says you have better apple recipes than I do and keeps reminding me that his grandmother always made him a "raw apple" cake for his birthday. Are you familiar with such? If so, which of your apple delights would be closest to that elusive thing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to hear that your daughter is okay.

    You have a Garden Club? Is it anything like my Suburban Mommy Book Club, where we old hens swill wine and never actually read the dang book? (I lie. I always read the book.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm glad your gal got out of there and that everything seems to be looking up for her! i'm also glad you posted this terrific recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad your daughter is ok my friend - I hope she got to eat lots of this delicious recipe :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I bet it is moist and delicious. I'm so glad your daughter is okay after the storm. My heart goes out to those who lost so much. I'm amazied she could get a flight.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your apple cake looks wonderful, and the true measure is all the compliments you received. I'm a big fan of desserts with fruit, so I'm sure I'd like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fortunate that your daughter was with you when Sandy hit! You both must feel so fortunate to have been together.

    What a delightful dessert and I can understand how this was the hit at your club meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow, that is no surprise. Everything Mary makes looks scrumptious! Glad to get a second opinion, though! It looks yummy!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary's got great recipes. Hope you had a good Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just know this is delish:-)
    The news re Sandy..on TV is so sad.
    Friends I have were mildly affected compared to the devastation we have seen..they feel fortunate..but very sympathetic towards the ones that were hit...more forcefully.
    Our thoughts are with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i LOVE the cake, the flavor looks wonderful!

    i'm glad your daughter was safe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore apple cake. Yours with cream cheese sounds and looks just delectable and perfect for the afternoon coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank goodness your daughter was safe my friend, hurricane sandy was an awful event :(
    But on a happier note, your cake looks heavenly :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  23. ¡Qué bella propuesta me encanta se ve muy delicioso! abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to hear that your daughter is safe from Sandy. About Cream Cheese Apple Cake it looks good and yummy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails