6.29.2011

Chilled Wild Blueberry Soup


When I was younger, we used to pick wild huckleberries while anchored in the Georgian Bay area of Canada. We'd all return with purple mouths, hands and tongues, but with enough berries left in our containers so my mother could make the world's most heavenly huckleberry pie.

I've heard many an argument about wild blueberries versus wild huckleberries. Do you know the difference?


They come from the same family but are a very different berry. Wild Huckleberries only grow in the wild but wild blueberries often are harvested commercially on farms. (You can even buy them frozen in your market.) The wild blueberry is smaller than a regular blueberry and has many soft, tiny almost unnoticeable seeds, while the huckleberry has larger seeds so they are slightly grittier when eaten. Blueberries are also more blue, while huckleberries are blackish blue or reddish black. Huckleberries have a much more vibrant and robust flavor than blueberries. They're sweeter too. Also, wild blueberries are have a slightly more earthy taste than you might expect.


Now that I live in Florida, my days of fresh-picked huckleberries are just a memory. But because of those memories, I should have guessed how much I'd like this nearly savory soup made from wild blueberries. It's a thicker fruit soup than I'm used to, but you could add more cream to thin it out if you prefer. A beautiful summery first course, you could also pass it around in little glass mugs.


Chilled Wild Blueberry Soup
By Rowan Jacobsen from Fine Cooking Magazine



Ingredients:
8 cups frozen wild blueberries (from one 3-lb. bag), or fresh if available 

1/2 cup dry white wine 
1/2 cup heavy cream 
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves; more for garnish 
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (from 1/2 medium lemon)  
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom 
Kosher salt 
Sour cream or crème fraîche

Method:

Heat the blueberries and wine in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries are thawed, about 5 minutes (if using fresh blueberries, bring the mixture to a simmer). Stir in the heavy cream, mint, lemon zest, cardamom, and 3/4 tsp. salt.
Working in batches, purée the blueberry mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain through a medium-mesh sieve into a storage container. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, about 4 hours.



To serve, whisk vigorously to loosen the soup (chilling thickens it and you can add more cream at this point if you wish.). Season to taste with more salt. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche and a single mint leaf.  Makes about 5 cups.

                                               *********************************


After glancing through my drafts folder, I noticed lots of odds and ends I've never gotten around to posting. Rather than deleting them I thought I'd start a little side blog and get them posted as there are several good ideas and recipes among the discarded drafts. You'll notice some wooden cooking utensils on the sidebar. That's the new blog, if you have time to take a look.

                                                                                   **************************

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Happy Birthday, America!



51 comments:

  1. I am so into blueberries this season. They have been so plump and juicy and this soup looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshing, healthy, easy and perfect for July 4th. I'm in, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks great! and so healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blueberry soup, never had it, but it looks so good, I'll have to try!
    Have a happy 4th! Going now to check out your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Im a crazy by blueberries, Barbara this look delicious!, x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! We like cold soups--sweet and savory--and have them often in the summer.

    Happy 4th to you, Barbara!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes yes YES that looks good, perfect cool down after my blueberry salsa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup is a wonderful soup to serve company too. I always buy Wyman's frozen Wild Maine blueberries. Can't wait to make this and serve it to company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to pick huckleberries as a girl in Canada too, Barbara. :-) They are so delicious!! Your soup is gorgeous. I love cold fruit soup so much and this is lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A deliciously refreshing soup!

    Happy 4th of July!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know the difference, who knew?! We don't have huckleberries here, but I remember fondly spending hours in the woods in the Alps picking blueberries with my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your new blog!

    We've picked blueblerries for years, but I've never even tried huckleberries. Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been eating blueberries by the pound...I just can't seem to get enough! This blueberry soup sounds like such a fun out-of-the-box way to prepare them! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that the soup is almost savory. Sounds like a lovely first course for summer, and the soup looks great in your glass mugs! Now, I need to do something about the fact that I've never tasted a huckleberry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! I saw cold strawberry soup the other day and I honestly think I would prefer blueberry. Since I have a fridge full of blueberries I should give it a whirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm totally making that Monday. Can't wait.

    And huckleberries are just a fun word for me, so thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a refreshing way to enjoy blueberries Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally intriguing--not just the idea of a blueberry soup, but a SAVORY blueberry soup--that's fantastic. And anything with cardamom sounds wonderful to me. Happy 4th, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting soup. Never thought of blueberries in soup. Must be delicious and healthy as I love blueberries. Just bought a pack today. Already all in my tummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love a soup like this one; must hunt for these blueberries so I can make it asap~HAPPY FOURTH~~~~~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I've ever tastes a wild huckleberry but I so enjoyed reading about them and how they relate to blueberries.

    Blueberries in wine sound wonderful! I love doing those little appetizer portions of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely post about wild blueberries! I love blueberries and this sounds absolutely wonderful, Barbara.

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous and fits perfectly for the July 4th theme! Alcohol for celebration, blue for berries, white for wine, red for the overall color. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am such a blueberry fan, and welcome any new ways to prepare and serve. A lovely blue soup with intriguing spice is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blueberry soup looks fantastic! And, the season is just starting here. Thanks for commenting on my blog! The name of yours is great, and I've added it to my Google Reader. Look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I grew up in PA and we picked wild blueberries for pie all summer. And, weirdly enough, my uncle ran a blueberry farm (one of those, you pickem kind of places).

    This looks like the perfect summer soup from one of my very favorite summer ingredients.

    Enjoy your fourth!!!

    xxoo,

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have always wondered exactly what a huckleberry was! This chilled soup is brilliant...so eyecatching. And I love your cherry bars in a jar, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummm, I LOVE this. I want to use blueberries in EVERYTHING I make during this time of year. Such a good idea :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  29. This soup looks amazing! We always have fresh blueberries on hand, not locally grown all year, but decent ones that are good eating. I am going to make this soup. Thanks for the recipe and the idea of serving it in shooter glasses. I served vichyssoise like that at Thanksgiving and people loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love fruit soups... absolutely brilliant with a grill menu... they complement the smoky meatiness so well. Never knew the difference between the 2 berries... just had my first serviceberry this summer (at least that's what I think it was!).

    Have a great holiday~

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a unique way to use fresh blueberries!! Love the idea and the soup looks so pretty in the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That looks fantastic Barbara! I came across wild blueberries when we travelled to Canada and we noticed that they were quite different!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Che bontà, complimenti, verro a trovarti ancora, hai un bellissimo blog!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Out with one berry in with another. Yes, indeed, Barbara, not only is July Picnic Month, it is also National Blueberry Month too!!!

    Your soup sounds just right. I love the thought of simmering in wine. And a dollop of cream sounds perfect!

    Thank you so much for sharing your cherished memories and this "beautiful" soup.

    Wishing a Happy & Safe 4th to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So you decided to have a food blog on the side ;-)

    I love Chilled soup this time of year, this one looks great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nothing tastes better than a chilled berry soup in hot summer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This soup is new to me, but it look so good. Happy Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't know the difference between wild huckleberries and wild blueberries until now! The soup is beautiful and so refreshing.

    Hope you have a wonderful Independence Day, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  39. how delicious, barbara! you know me, though, i'd have to replace the cardamom with cinnamon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sweet memories. I've never had the fortune of picking either berry. The soup looks perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fabulous idea! It's a perfect summer soup that would also be great with Greek yogurt instead of cream. I'm gonna have to try this! :) Have a safe and happy 4th of July! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy 4th of July, Barbara! Great recipe--dessert soups are a great way to end a meal in the freshest way possible!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Barbara you brought back some good memories of picking huckleberries in Montana. I honestly never really knew the differences though between them and blueberries. Thanks to you, now I do! I hope you had a good 4th? If you made this blueberry soup then I suspect it was a tasty one as well?
    Thank you for the recipe, it honestly sounds heavenly.
    All my best to you,
    x Deb

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a gorgeous drink for such a wonderful day! Happy Belated 4th of July!
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  45. I didn't even know that huckleberries existed outside that novel by Mark Twain! I'd love to try those. I have enjoyed blueberry soup before, but never with white wine and cardamom. Your recipe looks exciting. I'm sure that it went down well in the hot Florida weather.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh... the Georgian Bay area is so beautiful--and wild berries too! I have never seen them myself but may have to try this with the last of the frozen blueberries as the new ones come in!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh... the Georgian Bay area is so beautiful--and wild berries too! I have never seen them myself but may have to try this with the last of the frozen blueberries as the new ones come in!

    ReplyDelete
  48. beautiful soup--I like the touch of cardamom you put in it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sigh, I don't think I've had the pleasure of meetin' a wild huckleberry. I've missed out! But I do love blueberries -- in any way, shape or concoction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  50. chilling thickens it and you can add more cream at if you wish. I really like it so much, as well as it is very easy to prepare.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails