3.18.2011

Mango Upside Down Cake with Basil Ice Cream


F
or those of you not familiar with South Florida restaurants, let me introduce you to Michael's GenuineIt opened in 2007 down in the old Design district in Miami, on 40th St. (A while back, I wrote a brief history of this unique area HERE. ) Michael's is a contemporary American bistro run by Michael Schwartz, a Philadelphia native who launched the pioneering South Beach restaurant Nemo in 1994 and refers to his newest restaurant as “a chef’s interpretation of a great neighborhood place.” Michael was also named as Best Chef South at the James Beard Awards in 2010. Read more about Michael HERE.

Michael's new
cookbook is hot off the presses and I was practically first in line!

The recipes are familiar if you've eaten at his restaurant and very doable for the home cook. I've made two so far and can't wait to try some of the rest.  Here's the first: a mango upside down cake that is unexpectedly light because the egg whites are beaten separately and folded into the batter.
You'll find that basil, an extremely aromatic herb with a scent of pepper, anise and mint, makes a delightful ice cream. The taste is sweet with a hint of savory  and is a marvelous accompaniment to the cake. The caramel top studded with mangoes makes a lovely presentation.  

I hope you enjoy Michael's recipe!

Mango Upside Down Cake with Basil Ice Cream

From Michael's Genuine Food by Michael Schwartz


Ingredients:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
Two 1 pound mangoes (most mangoes are about that weight), peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1  1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup plus1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup buttermilk
Basil Ice Cream (recipe follows)

Method:

Put a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Then add the brown sugar and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture looks like caramel, about 5 minutes. I didn't leave the stove (and I stirred more than occasionally) as things like this tend to burn quickly. 
Swirl the pan around so the caramel covers the bottom. Remove from heat and arrange the mango slices in a neat circle, overlapping the slices, remembering this will be presented as the top of the cake. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Place the butter in an electric mixer and beat. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar and beat until light, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add one egg yolk at a time and then the vanilla.
Add half the dry ingredients. Then add the buttermilk, beat until mixed, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. 
Beat the 4 egg whites until frothy, add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks.
Add a bit of the whites to the batter to lighten it, then add the rest and fold in. It's OK if there are still some white streaks. 
Pour batter over the caramel and mangoes and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Then loosen the sides with a knife, place a large cake plate over the cake and flip it upside down. Cool before serving with basil ice cream.

Bench Note:
I didn't use a cast iron pan. I melted the brown sugar in a saucepan and then heated a glass pie plate in the oven and when the caramel was done, I poured it into the hot pie plate and spread it around.


Basil Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
8 large egg yolks
pinch of salt

Method:
In a food processor, combine basil and sugar until finely ground. It should end up looking like pesto.
Combine the cream, milk and basil sugar in a large pan. Scrape out the seeds in the vanilla bean, add them to cream and then add the vanilla bean pod. Simmer gently  until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
In a bowl, whisk the yolks until light and thick. Temper the yolks with a little of the hot cream, then add everything to the pan and whisk until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.

Pour custard through a fine seive and then cool over ice cubes. (I just let it cool in the pan, then poured it into a bowl and placed in the fridge overnight.)
Churn in your ice cream maker according to directions.


63 comments:

  1. This look so good, immediate bookmarked, I must try. By the way, I do not own a cast iron skillet, what shall i use ? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing flavor combination! I love upside-down cakes and would really like to try that ice cream.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this is calling my name. Basil and mangos are two of my favorite flavors Barbara. I'm making a note of the restaurant for the next time we're in the area.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a gorgeous dessert. What lovely flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, this has to taste twice as good as a pineapple upside down. Love the taste of mangos. And basil ice cream....now you have me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know until last year that early ice creams were made in unusual flavors like herbs, flowers even parmesan cheese! You are being a bit of an ice cream classicist using basil! I think it sounds awesome. One of my absolute favorite things is basil jelly... it is spectacular. I have often thought it would make a great ice cream. Mango cake looks great too... but then I love upside down cakes.. all that caramel is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look fantastic Barbara!! I want an Ice Cream maker for next Christmas!! I love both, the basil Ice cream is amazing! and the mango pie!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a stunning dessert. There is always so much basil available at the farm in summer. I am determined to make this ice cream recipe this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an unusual ice cream flavor, I think it's the first time I've ever heard of it, but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm absolutely obsessed with my ice cream maker and have been dying to make some basil ice cream. It sounds, so so good!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you believe I have everything on hand to make this cake?? I love upside down cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of that restaurant. That is such an interesting ice cream. The cake looks good also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like mango, but I do love pineapple upside down cake. I might have to try this substituting peaches or something...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a unique and delightful-sounding combination of ingredients! The upside down cake sounds wonderful and basil ice cream, wow! I can see why he's a James Beard award winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an usual flavor combo, but it works, it looks so delicious!
    His book looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fascinating how you combine flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. just a gorgeous combo! what a delicious and lovely dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey daaahling! Great news!!! Guess who's the winner of my Amazon giveaway????? YOU! Congratulations!!!!!!
    All you need to do is send me an email address and I will have the gift certificate e-mailed to you (I'll have it for you on Sunday if that's ok).
    Now lets celebrate with some of that delicious cake and ice cream, no?
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sound pretty amazing.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmmmmmmm, lovely to both. I just want to dunk a spoon in and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you check out the local chefs, and cookbooks. When I travel I like to bring back local cookbooks. The one local cookbook from Sarasota is Jaden Hair from Steamy Kitchen. I still have to get her to sign it. :D

    So I don't live too far, I'll be right over to share this with you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the sound of basil ice cream. So refreshing. Great pairing with the mango upside down cake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Barbara,

    this looks so delicious and who would have thought basil icecream!
    I adore basil with tomato and in salads.
    The combination would be so unique and work well together.
    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you have a lovely weekend

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  25. This recipe is churning (no pun intended) out of my copier as I type. Wow!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mango is my absolute favorite fruit of all time and I can't imagine why I've never thought to make an upside-down cake with it! What a beautiful dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had been buying boxes of mango from the Vietnamese market; they are so very sweet, and so we just ate them; next time, this cake will also be part of the kitchen projects. Looks wonderful. that ice-cream is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks lovely! I adore basil--never heard of it in ice cream, but I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I saw him on the Martha show recently. The book sounds great, and I do love any kind of upside down cake! The mango sounds fantastic with the basil ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy to be introduced to the wonderful rest and the book too.
    And u chose wonderful , v wonderful , whipping egg whites and adding them does make them alot lighter and i love that.
    The local mango season has begun here and mango is definitely one of my v fav fruits.
    The cake looks very v wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. funny as I had recently a savoury basil ice cream !!all the best from paris !pierre

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW, WOW, WOW....Now I have had GREEN TEA ice cream in Japan abaout 34 years ago when I danced there! I had red beans on top of it and you know, it was FABULOUS! But basil? I MUST THINK ABOUT THIS! Oh Barbara, thank you for coming to meanander through my dream wisteria vine....how I wish it grew here in Minnesota!!! Have a superb Sunday!!! That mango cake is a must bake for me soon!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a sophisticated, unusual combination Barbara! :D It sounds quite basily too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Basil ice cream is going on the list for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow this looks great so pleased we ate here, :-) and lovely dessert your right the Tsnami makes us feel small and helpless
    hope your having a good weekend

    love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can see that the aromas of the basil and the sweetness of the mango would go well together!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could smell the basil ice cream and what a superb combination with mango! I will die for this.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That cake surely spoke to my heart Barbara! The ice cream scoop on the side I am sure completed the pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That mango cake looks wonderful. And the bistro sounds wonderful! I'll keep my eyes open for the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a unique cake! It sounds delicious and is a must try. Love that ice cream also, very unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Goodness, Love the sounding of your basil ice cream. Bookmark!~

    ReplyDelete
  42. This sounds so delicious! I love the caramel syrup that saturates the cake. Also this recipe reminded me of a basil and mango ice cream that I read in the most recent issue of Food and Wine. The combination must be sensational to see something so unique pop up twice.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the pairing of the mango cake with basil ice cream, a perfect dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow Basil ice and mango upside down...what a wonderful gourmet life you are leading, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ahhh.must be something in the air. I've been thinking about making an upside cake for a while now, and two of my favourite bloggers have gone and made them at the same time:) Looks droolworthy, and I must say the basil ice-cream sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  46. It looks like a wonderful cookbook and it is most definitely a beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What great desserts. I'm especially intrigued with the ice cream. I'll be trying both of these very soon. Yor photos, by the way, are wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  48. Here you go with another wonderful ice cream recipe. My ice cream attachment is no where to be found. I think that my husband some how threw it away. Anyway, I have to buy another so that I can try this. BTW This is the first time to see ads on your site. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  49. i'd say that i love upside-down cake, but the truth is that i love the glaze atop an upside-down cake--that goo is GOOD! i love the basil ice cream too--nifty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Delicious! I love love love basil ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the mango with the cake! They are just showing up at our market and I love seeing a new way to use them!!! Basil ice cream might be a bit of a stretch for my crew - I wonder what they would say if I plopped a scoop on their dessert??? Looks like a lovely new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  52. The exotic unexpected combination of flavours and simply the mention of Basil ice cream had me reading at a slower and more careful pace than usual as I adore ice creams. This appears to be a gorgeous late summer dessert and I have definitely got it on my calendar to make here in August or September. Of course, I may "practice" earlier.
    YUM!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my! This is such wonderful and heavenly treats!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This cake looks amazing; have bookmarked to try!

    ReplyDelete
  55. This particular pairing of flavours between mango and basil would have probably entered my salad bowl at some point.
    I don't think I would have ever got inspired to try making a basil ice-cream. Now, with mango cake...hmmm...I might just re-think this scenario.

    Btw...the photo came out very appetizing Barbara.

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! Barbara, Michael sounds like an inspiring Chef. I don't have an ice cream maker but my daughter does. I'll be taking this recipe to Idaho with me come April. Bookmarked!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing... It looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. You have some gorgeous looking freshly made ice cream and a gooey crumbly mango cake!! They look so delicious I wish I could just have a bite of each:)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I have always wanted to try basil ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. what a nice tropical twist on this cake using mangoes and the basil ice cream looks incredible.
    cheers,
    Heguiberto
    weirdcombinations.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails