9.26.2010

Game Day Bites


Whatever sport you're watching on TV, one thing I bet we all have in common is a plate of something delicious to nibble on. Football is our game of choice in the fall and University of Michigan is MY team of choice. (M Go Blue!) Whether college or pro ball, I'm always on the lookout for new game day treats so I thought I'd post a few here and there this fall.

Quite a while back, I came across these spicy little mouthfuls on Big Girls Small Kitchen, a favorite blog of mine. Cara and Phoebe are old high school friends, each living in New York city, which they refer to as "a big city of small kitchens". They have some super recipes and are publishing a cookbook, called Cara and Phoebe's Quarter-Life Kitchen, due out in 2011.


Phoebe's family have been friends with Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) for years and in 2006, in an oft-repeated episode called Good Home Cooking, Cara and Phoebe were guests on Ina’s show, returning from college to a huge platter of gravlox, fresh fruit, and a basket of sour cream blueberry muffins. In 2009, Phoebe actually got to cook a holiday meal with Ina on her show, which I unfortunately haven't seen.


This recipe is Phoebe's. Not only can it be used as a game day bite, it would be a super appetizer for a Mexican or Southwestern themed dinner. Delicious AND healthy. An unbeatable combination.



Black Bean Cakes with Mango-Lime Crema
From Big Girls Small Kitchen



Ingredients:

For the cakes:

2 15oz cans black beans
2 garlic cloves
½ lime, juiced
1 tbsp sour cream
¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (directions follow)
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt

For the crema:

3/4 cup sour cream
½ mango, finely diced
1 tbsp shallot, chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp salt

Method:

In a food processor, blend the garlic, 1 can of beans, lime juice, and sour cream until moderately smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients. Mix until properly combined.

With clean hands, form the bean mixture into 1 inch balls and set aside on a plate. Chill the balls for twenty minutes or so.

For the crema, combine a third of the mango, and all remaining ingredients in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl an fold in the rest of the mango.

NOTE: everything up to this point can be prepared the night before.
Heat a skillet over a medium-high flame, adding a healthy layer of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the bean cakes have cooled, remove from the refrigerator. Pan-fry the bean cakes, making sure to press each down into a round patty as you add them to the pan. Cook until dark brown and crispy on both sides. Reserve on a paper towel until cool enough to handle.

Alternatively, you can bake the cakes on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until they have crisped up (the outside will resemble falafel).

Arrange cakes on a platter, and serve room temperature with a dollop of mango-lime crema on top and some torn cilantro leaves for garnish. Makes about 20 cakes.

Making Fresh Bread Crumbs


You'll get the best results if your bread is slightly stale, although I've done it with fresh; you just have to pulse so it doesn't turn gummy. Remove the crusts and tear the slices into pieces; fill your processor about halfway full. Pulse until you get the size crumb you like.


Make more than you need and store the crumbs in zip-top bags in the freezer; thaw them thoroughly before using. In a pinch, if you don't have a machine, rub slices or chunks of stale bread on a box grater.

65 comments:

  1. I love the crema recipe. Perfect for black bean patties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetarian! Yeah, I'm doing a little dance right now for you, Barbara, which is why I can barely type (smile). These look good! I'm going to check out Cara and Pheobes' spot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use the black bean. I've been getting into dried beans, cooking and freezing them, and then using them later! Can't wait to try this, Barbara. Love the title of your post. The double meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to make these! Looks amazing!

    I saw those episodes! thanks for the link to their blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now these I have to try Barbara! I think I would be able to eat an entire pan of these while watching my Boise State Broncos work their way to the top. Go Broncos!!!
    I loved your beautiful post before this one. Such a lovely table setting.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the flavors in these tasty little bites. (Especially the mango in that crema!) I'm putting this on my list of things to make.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a tasty little appetizer.
    Heck, if you play your cards right you might get in on this cooking thing with Ina, how fun would that be.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for making me discover another great blog! These black bean cakes look simply amazing--I would love them for dinner with some salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking bites, perfect for handing round whatever the occasion.
    The BC shows are still running on our Food Channel, so I'll be sure to look out for the episodes that you mentioned.
    Hope your week is a good one.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is new to me, but it look really great !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! You know what this reminds me of? Its kind of a mexican felafel! I totally want to try these, I can just tell that they would be awesome!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sounds fantastic!
    I can't wait to make them- I love the background story and will look for the up and coming cookbook if these are anything to go by.

    Forgot to comment on your tea party the other day- I love your tea cups (especially the yellow ones) and the cakes fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A healthy and tasty snack! A terrific idea!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonderful snack - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this sounds like a wonderful little snack full of flavor. Thanks for passing it along Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion, the best part of football is all of the game food! And man do these bites look delicious! I think I would eat them as a main meal because I wouldn't be able to stop at appetizer portions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these babies, but I'm a big fan of anything with black beans in it. How lucky to be a friend of Ina's. Wow.

    Speaking of football, my Razorbacks almost (and I emphasize almost) beat number one Alabama this weekend. Go hogs.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, this is so so interesting! The cake looks outstanding even without the flour. Great job! I love the topping with creme. YUmmmm.... Thanks Phoebe for the recipe and hope you're having a great day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look like great game day nibbles! I love that you have the option to bake them instead of pan-fry them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how interesting, i thought they were meant to be sweet at first, and sort of went "huh?" at the black beans. Then of course I realised they're a savoury treat. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, these little snacks would be good anytime...my husband will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum, I have been making black bean patties for years but I am liking the sound of this recipe much more. The Crema sounds so delicious. Can I substitute Greek Yogurt for the sour cream and in a pinch can I use dried breadcrumbs in place of fresh?? I may make these tonight with a giant salad and maybe some easy chicken enchiladas.
    Thanks for another winner recipe and for planning my Monday night dinner.:) I'm usually prepared but tonight I just couldn't decide what to make that the entire family will eat.
    Have a great day Barbara
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an interesting recipe that I would not try except of course you make it look and sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I come watch a game with you? Seriously, this is my kind of munchie. I wish more people shared our idea of game-day food, more healthy & flavorful, and less greasy and boring!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These sound absolutely wonderful, Barbara! What an interesting story about your high school friends and Ina. They both must be great cooks as well. I am saving this recipe to try. Thank you!

    Go Badgers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are terrific little bites! Love the crema, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely creative cakes. I'd love to give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm all about black beans - I could pop a lot of these bites!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow. I'll have to try those soon. (And what a treat, to cook with Ina!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am not a fan of sports but I am a fan of a sweet like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Barbara, I have the link here for the nutmeg picture.
    http://kristygourmet.blogspot.com/2009/04/nutmeg-butter-cake.html

    Those are called either candied or preserved nutmeg. Some come in whole and some shredded. You can check out more photos from the site as well, under preserved nutmeg.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have seen both episodes! I love these black bean cakes! They look absolutely delicious Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm always looking for something to nibble on!

    ReplyDelete
  34. these look scrumptious! I immediately thought of a different southwestern version of falafel; I love black beans and this is tempting me now to no end!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love Mexican, and I love spice, and anything I can pick up with my fingers and stuff into my mouth in one bite is an instant winner with me! I must try this!

    Go Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look delicious and perfect indeed for game snacks. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Barbara, these look amazing. I wonder if it's possible to make them without the bread crumbs? I'm avoiding wheat these days, but this looks too good to pass up. do you think you could use something else in place of the bread crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm not always dying to watch the game, but I do love the food that comes along with it! This sounds so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  39. These vegetarian mouthfuls look incredibly delicious. Thanks for sharing this one.

    BTW...I forgot to mention how pretty your table presentation was from the last post ;o))

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great recipe! I would love to sit down to a game or a movie with a plateful of these flavorful bites. I remember Phoebe, what a great episode of Barefoot Contessa that was!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Barbara! Aren't you so kind to come to visit me!!! Thank you for your kind compliments on my art; it is literally a new development in pulling out the inner child in me and trying to reignite my old skills. My husband is having fun as well...we have to find SOME FORM OF STRESS RELIEVER as two teachers with BIG JOBS!!!! Those bean cakes look outstanding; I am waiting for my dinner to cook and I could jump through this computer screen to EAT THOSE BEAN CAKES !!! :)

    Have a marvelous day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh these would be perfect for our Aussie rule grand final re-play this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a unique and delicious looking appetizer! And because it is such a wonderful recipe, I'll forgive you for being a Wolverine fan.

    Go Bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Barbara, these look so delicious-like bite sized mouthfuls of flavour! :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. Barbara,

    Thank you so much for the sweet post! We are thrilled you like the blog, and that you've seen us over the years at Ina's garden table.

    Glad to see the bean cakes turned out beautifully.

    Please visit us soon!

    xo
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow...black beans in a cake! New to me but looks very moist and delicious. Would love to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. These black bean patties would be great on gameday Sunday! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  48. These look fantastic! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love that Ina. And all her friends! :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love these pretty little bites, Barbara! :-) I adore bean dishes and was just wishing for some new ones to try. I love this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  51. That's so cool. I've seen that Barefoot Contessa episode a few times. I have to check out that blog.

    And, I love black bean cakes. The crema topping sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  52. These truly look amazing. I must google this "barefoot contessa", I have no idea what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a delicious and healthy idea! I will have to check out their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Barbara,

    This appetizer sounds so different but yet it looks so good.
    Many thanks for sharing this recipe and will try this, as it will be healthy.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  55. oh gosh - i LOVE these! black beans are one of my favorites and making little cakes with them is brilliant! can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is definitely a spirited bite for the football games. Love it.

    Is this the part where I get to say Go Gators! We are a big college football family.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would pop these into my mouth like peanuts well done! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I would watch the game just to eat your nibble LOL

    ReplyDelete
  59. what a perfect finger food--i would go to that game day and I don't like sports.

    ReplyDelete
  60. OK, that looks way better than chips and salsa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  61. These look like such great party appetizers. I've always loved the way the flavors of bean and cumin go together.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Yum - great recipe. Maybe I'll have to start watching some more sports :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. what a great idea and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I would have never thought of a recipe like this and I love this flavour combination. The recipe reads very straightforward, yet the dish looks exceptionally complex. Love that. YUM!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails